Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Sat 31 Jan 09 9:10pm

nanstertoo

Forum champ
Occupation Retired nurse-midwife
From High Point, North Carolina
Member since Tue 17 Jun 08

Re: the most poor inventive

aiglio, olio, e peperoncino....our favorite "nothing in the house to eat" meal.  All you need is a pound of spaghetti, some garlic, oil (olive if you have it) and crushed red pepper flakes.  Parmesan grated on top...if you have it, if not grate some dry bread crumbs and toast in a skillet, use in place of parmesan.

My mother's family  was from Apulia, and she grew up during the Great Depression.  I never had Lentils until I was an adult and made them myself during my vegetarian days.  When I asked my mom why we never had them she said she ate so many lentils when she was a child she couldn't bear to fix them.  I still love them (and all legumes).

The best compliment to my cooking I have ever received was from my younger daughter, now 40.  I once told her that we really didn't have much when she and her sister were younger,  she said she never new that because we always had such good food.  All the girls at her lunch table were envious of her deviled ham sandwich and home made cake while they purchased the school lunch.  I always sent an extra piece when the cake was peanut butter/chocolate chip so she could share...it was their favorite

Likes (0)

#22 Sat 31 Jan 09 9:14pm

john_lee

Occupation Teacher and Writer
From Wales and Italy
Member since Mon 10 Oct 05

Hi White, I think that when Dylan Thomas lived in Swansea, it was in a part of town called Mumbles. In his later life, he lived in Laugharne, which is a village in west Wales, about 25 miles from me. Was it it either of those two places?

Likes (0)

#23 Sat 31 Jan 09 9:15pm

john_lee

From Wales and Italy

Nanstertoo, you sound like a fantastic mum, and a proper Italian mamma! Will you adopt me?

Likes (0)

#24 Sat 31 Jan 09 10:15pm

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

please Beast do not feel touché, I just wanted to explain my condensed posts which can be sometimes criptic, I stressed a bit on the word poor to mean that hunger and lack of ingredients sharpen our skills

big_smile

Likes (0)

#25 Sat 31 Jan 09 10:19pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

John_lee, what is pangritata?
Eddie

Likes (0)

#26 Sat 31 Jan 09 10:24pm

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

I think it's pane grattugiato, that's geniale and poor and good and grated bread big_smile

Last edited by madamada (Sat 31 Jan 09 10:34pm)

Likes (0)

#27 Sat 31 Jan 09 10:48pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

madamada wrote:

I think it's pane grattugiato, that's geniale and poor and good and grated bread big_smile

Ok.  Thanks.
Eddie

Likes (0)

#28 Sat 31 Jan 09 11:12pm

whitedog

Forum champ
Occupation striving to be a better human
From america
Member since Sat 09 Feb 08

john_lee wrote:

Hi White, I think that when Dylan Thomas lived in Swansea, it was in a part of town called Mumbles. In his later life, he lived in Laugharne, which is a village in west Wales, about 25 miles from me. Was it it either of those two places?

It was Laugharne. There was a dock, I think, and my uncles voice was so confidential, I loved it. He was a successful but shy man, my uncle, I was so complimented by his attention that day.

Likes (0)

#29 Sat 31 Jan 09 11:43pm

john_lee

From Wales and Italy

SonomaEddie wrote:

John_lee, what is pangritata?
Eddie

It was a typo on my part (oops) - it should be 'pangrattato', which I guess is a contraction of pane grattugiato. I understand it to be stale breadcrumbs fried in olive oil, and possibly chilli, garlic, rosemary.

Last edited by john_lee (Sun 01 Feb 09 12:08am)

Likes (0)

#30 Sun 01 Feb 09 12:36am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

PANCAKES!!!

flour, eggs, milk. butter for frying.

Topped with millions of toppings throughout history, some simple some more airy fairy & expensive but these are what I make when we run out of bread & need breakfast as we are not cereal people.

Likes (0)