Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Sun 22 Feb 09 5:17pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Re: The Meatloaf Thread

A dish I recreated from one my mother made when we were children:

Create a basic meatloaf base with a little tomato paste added when you saute the onions and garlic and if desired, add some chopped celery and finely chopped carrot to the saute pan as well, fresh or dried oregano, s&p.  Top the base with cooked longgrain rice mixed with cheddar and parmesan cheese, tomato sauce and paste (a little of each) and a beaten egg.  Spread the meatloaf mixture into a pie dish, top with the rice mixture and add some extra grated cheeses on top, bake.

Likes (0)

#22 Sun 22 Feb 09 6:41pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Just a note (re: Ashen's post a while back): "Chuck" isn't a cut that is peculiarly American, Chuck Steak is the preferred cut for making a "proper job" Cornish Pasty.........so therefore at least known to my gran's butcher 80-odd years ago!

Likes (0)

#23 Sun 22 Feb 09 7:56pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

Mr Pab, Pistachios sound like a lovely addition!
I think besides being in the filling the spinach would (alternatively) be an ideal side too yummy

Likes (0)

#24 Tue 24 Feb 09 11:24pm

phoebe_angel

From Land of the Long White Cloud
Member since Thu 05 Jan 06

Something nice to add to a basic meatloaf recipe - can of tinned apricot or peach halves.

I know it sounds REALLY strange but my mum used to do this and it always made for a beautifully moist and juicy meatloaf.  You just drain some of the juice from the tin and then when the meatloafs got about an hour to go (all depends on how large the meatloaf is I suppose, mine always end up HUGE) arrange the apricots or peaches over the top and let it continue to cook.  You'll also end up with a really nice glaze from the juices of the fruit.

....oooh, I'm having a craving for meatloaf now

Likes (0)

#25 Wed 25 Feb 09 10:13am

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

Thanks Susanne, it was me, sorry to confuse by using mrpab's computer, again!

phoebe_angel, that's an excellent idea, I love combining sweet and savory.

I'm thinking of adding similar seasonings that are used in moussaka to a meatloaf, cinnamon, clove, bay, oregano and tomato product, bell peppers, onions.

Likes (0)

#26 Wed 25 Feb 09 7:26pm

SusanneH

Forum champ
From Germany
Member since Mon 13 Mar 06

no probs wink

phoebe, I think that would be lovely with some rice and a sauce seasoned with curry yummy

Likes (0)

#27 Wed 04 Mar 09 1:11pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me

Here's a turkey loaf recipe from 'Alice' an Italian cooking magazine.  I hope I've translated correctly.

Rotolo di Tacchino (Turkey Roll)

500 g Ground Turkey
500 g Ricotta
150 g Parmesan, grated
200 g Speck, thinly sliced
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Glass of Dry White Wine
Vegetable Broth
Salt and Black Pepper
Sugar
Kitchen Twine

Combine the turkey, cheeses, salt and pepper.  Lightly coat a casserole dish with olive oil.  Combine the white wine, a small amount of vegetable broth and sugar.  Form the meat and cheese mixture into a loaf, cover with speck slices, tie with kitchen twine.  Lightly baste with the wine and broth mixture.  Bake at 180 C. or 350 F. until the juices run clear and turkey loaf is cooked through.

Likes (0)

#28 Fri 06 Mar 09 12:37pm

Tanya

Forum champ
From Scotland
Member since Thu 15 Jul 04

*Meatloaf*

My mother's recipe, sorry I don't have quantities, but I remember it was cooked in a 2lb loaf tin.  I would guess 1 1/2 lbs of beef and 1/2 a lb of dry cured bacon minced together, a couple of slices of bread (crust removed) soaked in water then squeezed to remove excess water, eggs to bind, loads of HP Brown Sauce, salt and pepper to taste.  Make sure all the ingredients are well mixed then place mixture in loaf tin, cover with rashers of bacon (this keeps the loaf moist).  Sorry can't remember cooking time or temperature, but she always left it in the tin until it was cold so the juices soaked back into the meat. It was delicious, I can taste it now.

Delicious hot, but even better next day on a sandwich. yummy  yummy

Likes (0)

#29 Fri 06 Mar 09 12:38pm

Captain C

Forum champ
Occupation Sales
From Essex
Member since Tue 05 Feb 08

Hi Tanya, long time no see  wink

Likes (0)

#30 Thu 21 May 09 1:07am

ACDC

Forum champ
Occupation Bewitched, bothered and bewildered Mother
From Ireland
Member since Tue 19 Aug 08

As she comes back from gazing into the freezer, still wondering what to cook tomorrow to feed the children with the hollow legs................
She finds the answer,    smile
On the forums again.     wink 
Thank you everyone.   thumbsup

Likes (0)