forum: Bacon

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 06 Feb 09 7:35pm

LouLucky13

Occupation ministry of justice
From Cardiff
Member since Sat 24 Jan 09

the neck fillet recipe!

so i go into my butchers having written down what to ask for and march up to him and say "Two pork neck fillet steaks please!"

He says "you been watching jamie oliver?"

despite his frown and large knife I decide to reply truthfully and manage an embarrassed "yup" thinking that any moment now he is going to say that every numpty this week has been asking for that...

instead he says, without altering the scary frown,

"good programme"

and he toddles off and comes back with two steaks of free range pork. His chum, an equally scary, knife-wielding chap, says

"good cut that, good flavour".

I return home triumphantly, make dinner and place it in front of my sceptical boyfriend. We both munch away amazed at how tasty and quick our tea is and I've been wearing a porky grin ever since!

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 06 Feb 09 7:41pm

ACDC

Forum champ
Occupation Bewitched, bothered and bewildered Mother
From Ireland
Member since Tue 19 Aug 08

Re: the neck fillet recipe!

lol  lol  lol  lol  lol

I love it!!
It can be daunting to start with something new. Before you know it you'll be here telling us more tales and adventures from the kitchen and beyond.
Welcome to the forums. Enjoy.   smile

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 08 Feb 09 10:10pm

Wildmushroom

Occupation Student
From Hertfordshire
Member since Sun 11 Jan 09

mrgreen
Wow, if our Butcher did that i'd end up laughing all over his meat and/or fainting on it!

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 08 Feb 09 10:18pm

Nutty Nette

Occupation Facilities Manager
From Hemel
Member since Wed 17 Dec 08

Hi
clap  clap Try neck fillet of lamb makes mean curry or stew holds together despite major cooking, use a knife sharpener to create a hole through the middle stuff and roasted it,s awsome works on neck of pork too. Keep cooking

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 27 Feb 09 2:43am

quattrocchi

Occupation low-tech jewellery
From Titirangi, Auckland
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Bacon (the programme) has just aired here in New Zealand. Very good prog, though its application to the livestock conditions here are possibly not quite the same. (We have been able to buy "no sow crates" pork and pork products for a few years now.)

Oh, and we've been turned on to pork shoulder roasts from some of Jamie's other books. Delish. Luvly-jubbly.

Question about pork neck fillet. When I asked my local butcher he says we call it pork scotch fillet. Says it a boneless skinless neck cut with marbled meat. Sound like wot Jamie was describing.

So is it also called scotch fillet elsewhere? (obviously not up there in Scotland).

Brian

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 27 Feb 09 9:25am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

The names of cuts, and indeed the way meat is cut, varies from country to country - you need to get a good set of diagrams, illustrating cuts. If your butcher doesn't recognise the name, show him on the chart where it is and he will probably cut it for you.

Here are some to get you started:-

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/meatcharts.html

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 10 May 09 8:03am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

I cant believe we havent had this show here in Oz yet.. I know I have been a bit head down bum up lately but I couldnt have missed it surely?

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 10 May 09 11:27am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Well Lou&Phil ,you are local to me , I wonder if that was in Pring's on Crwys Road.
I go into that butcher and he always takes great delight in telling everyone that he has a vegetarian in the shop .
I buy meat from him for my family , I always get the christmas turkey there and he always saves me a bag of turkey bones from the turkeys that he has been boning and rolling for people.

Likes (0)