Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 13 Mar 09 6:22am

Luvmegrub

Forum champ
Occupation Cleaner at The Salmon Arms
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Fri 22 Aug 08

Free Range Chicken Livers Not Available

I like to make chicken liver pate and have been unsuccessful in sourcing free range chicken livers.

I spoke to a large free range chicken supplier to find out what happens to all the livers of their chickens and was told that they don't sell the offal from free range birds as they can't control what the birds eat and therefore can't sell the offal.

I thought I was doing the right thing by buying eggs from happy chickens, happy chicken meat etc and was convinced the livers would also be better quality.

The customer service person was unable to explain the reasons why so just wondered if anybody had any more information on this? Are free range livers available in your country?

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 15 Mar 09 7:29pm

French_vanilla

Forum champ
Occupation Secretary
From Dublin - Ireland
Member since Sun 01 Apr 07

Re: Free Range Chicken Livers Not Available

that completely puzzles me too....  hmm

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 15 Mar 09 7:32pm

LouLucky13

Occupation ministry of justice
From Cardiff
Member since Sat 24 Jan 09

my butcher only sells free range chickens and he can get the livers - try smaller suppliers, they may be able to help. risk steins food heroes book also lists places that do mail order - farmers often sell their meat this way and you can ask for whatever bits of the little blighters you like!

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 15 Mar 09 7:33pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

The organic market I use has a very limited selection of meats, so they don't sell chicken livers separately, but the liver, heart, gizzards and neck always come wrapped inside the whole chickens, so I don't see why it would be a problem to sell free range liver.  I use the guts myself, many people don't know how and actually throw them away when they buy a whole chicken, pity.

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 15 Mar 09 11:37pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

I don't know that I would want to consume livers that had been wandering around where ever they pleased.
Eddie

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 15 Mar 09 11:54pm

Luvmegrub

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia

Thanks for your answers everyone.

After checking with other poultry suppliers, I've been given the same answer - no free range livers or giblets available.  They also said it's not worth the time and effort involved when there's no demand for it.

I will keep asking but for now I suppose I'll have to buy livers from poor little chickens that have lived in cages all their lives.

We don't seem to have any small local suppliers for this kind of thing in Australia. hmm

Last edited by Luvmegrub (Sun 15 Mar 09 11:54pm)

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 16 Mar 09 8:58am

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

I always feel somewhat cheated when the chicken doesn't come with giblets.

I don't think the argument that they don't use the livers because they can'tcontrol what they eat. After all, duck and goose livers are highly prized, whether free range or not! Whats more, cows,pigs and sheep livers from free range animals are available everywhere.

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 18 Mar 09 5:10pm

Helenlouise

Member since Sat 17 Jan 09

Free-range chicken livers: I get mine from Waitrose, no problem.

Likes (0)

#9 Thu 19 Mar 09 12:15am

Cindy

Forum champ
Occupation Registered Nurse
From Adelaide, OZ
Member since Tue 03 Aug 04

I can get them here in Adelaide at one of the poultry stalls in the Central Market.

Maybe it is a Sydney thing as different states have different food laws and I hate to say it but our government is a bit better than NSW when it comes to these things. In SA Kangaroo has been sold for human consumption for well over 20 years, it is a lot more recent in the Eastern states.

Likes (0)

#10 Thu 19 Mar 09 12:36am

Luvmegrub

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia

Thanks Cindy, I will keep asking wherever I go.

Likes (0)