Jamie Oliver

forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 21 Mar 09 1:18pm

4D

Member since Sat 21 Mar 09

Chiminea's

Hi!! new to this forum stuff, so please excuse if I get it wrong!
I saw once on a tv program a chef cooking a whole chicken in a chiminea. He wrapped the chicken in foil and just threw it in! hour and a half later, perfectly cooked chicken, falling of the bone. Is this possible? and if so, could other meats be cooked same way?
Ta

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 21 Mar 09 1:20pm

Captain C

Forum champ
Occupation Sales
From Essex
Member since Tue 05 Feb 08

Re: Chiminea's

Geoff's your man for this one  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 21 Mar 09 2:16pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Well wraped meat in a BBQ, oven or chiminea will cook slowly and evenly. Lamb is excellent, chicken, pork too. Beef i wouldn't tempt to mess around with like that as it will be far too over cooked and dry....but that's my taste. There are many recipes for veg and meats.

Chiminea Cooking

Start the fire about 20 minutes before you want to start cooking. If you're new to chiminea cooking, charcoal briquettes are probably a better choice than wood, but do not add any type of accelerant. The use of accelerant in a closed cooking space can cause explosions. Self-lighting charcoal is easy to light and safe to use.

Prepare the food. Make sure all the pieces of meat are similar in size, thickness and type. Sausages or bratwurst should be pricked with a fork to allow juices to drain.

Place food on metal sheets, thread on skewers, or wrap in foil packets, keeping similar items together.

Insert the food into the chiminea using barbecue tongs. Place foil packets either directly on the coals or onto a metal sheet or grill. Skewers can be placed onto a metal grill or set in at an angle above the coals.

Check food every 10 to 15 minutes to see if it it done. Foods can cook very quickly in a chiminea, as it uses both surrounding and bottom heat--much like a cross between an oven and a traditional barbecue grill. Juices from properly cooked meat will be clear and not pink. Food wrapped in foil will take longer than food that is directly exposed to the heat.

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 21 Mar 09 10:04pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Kye has it right- you can cook almost anything in a chininea that you can cook in an oven.

My chiminea is the largest cast iron chiminea I could get - it has  grill which pivot out.You definitely need to wrap chickens etc it a double layer of foil - and I usually put a thick oven tray underneath, with a few layers of crumpled foil on it underneath the chicken, to avoid too much bottom heat.

Have cooked such diverse thing as apple pie, Coquilles st Jacque and
roast potatoes in my chiminea, and continue to experiment each time I use it. I generally use wood, rather than charcoal or briquettes and allow it to burn down to a bed coals before starting cook on it. Pizzas go particularly well - just put them on a preheated sheet of steel or iron (or a pizza stone would be good, they taste "just like the real thing" smile

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 01 Jun 09 10:37am

Loulabella3

Member since Mon 01 Jun 09

I want to buy a chiminea, mainly for pizza making and the odd bbq.  I have seen bbq chimineas, but there are also some which say pizza oven chiminea.  Do I need a specific pizza one or will a bbq chiminea work just as well?  Also I have seen pie and waffle irons, can these be used on chimineas?  Sorry for all the questions.

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 01 Jun 09 10:42am

DebDiMaggio

Forum champ
Occupation Newbie Mamma
From Italy-UK-Spain
Member since Mon 16 Jun 08

oh I love to cook in the chimnea. My inlaws have a a huge country villa that they don't use, when we have time on a weekend we go up there just to use the chimnea and cook things in it in foil, we have BBQs too there, it's lush.

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 04 Jun 09 12:13pm

GeoffP

Forum champ
Occupation Retired Clergy & Computer Consultant
From Bradford, West Yorks
Member since Mon 03 Jul 06

Loulabella - yes, waffle irons and pie irons work well in a chiminea - I sometimes do the dessert in a pie iron.

Likes (0)

#8 Sat 06 Jun 09 6:24pm

Caroloz

Member since Sat 06 Jun 09

I love cooking in and on the chiminea. I bought a carbon steel cowl that fits into the chimney top and has a lid on it, like a wok lid but with a hole so the smoke can escape.  This accessory effectively turns your chiminea into a "weber" which I also love cooking on.

I love nothing more than lighting the chiminea on cool but sunny autumn days and throwing on a roast (on top) and some foil wrapped veggies IN the fire and sitting there having a beer or wine enjoying the day.

The trick I have found is to make sure there are hot coals in the centre of the fire and any flames are off to the sides. So when I add new wood I make sure they are pushed off to the side so no flames leap up the chimney. I learned this the hard way...flames lit the fat off the meat and we had a flaming roast being kicked around the garden to try and put out the fire!

Likes (0)

#9 Sat 01 Jan 11 4:45pm

idletim

Occupation Teacher
From Bradford West Yorks
Member since Sat 01 Jan 11

Hi everyone,
I'm new here and found the forum when I was searching for info on chimeneas. I'm really interested in cooking pizzas from scratch on one. I wanted to build a clay oven at first but if a chimenea does the job I'll go for one instead. Does anyone have any advice on making pizzas and which sort of chimenea to buy for the job? Thanks smile

Likes (0)

#10 Tue 04 Jan 11 11:03am

cannyfradock

Occupation Builder (bricklayer/ stonemason)
From S.Wales.
Member since Sat 10 Oct 09

Here's a chap who's having great success with cooking and making pizza in his Chiminea. This blog show's you the recipe and method

http://nobreadisanisland.blogspot.com/2 … minea.html

idletim

Building a Clay/Earth oven is not that difficult and is not that expensive. There's lots of free help on the web also. Here's a clay build (blog) with picture diary and free plans....

http://clayoven.wordpress.com/

These blogs are not commercial.....neither am I.

Terry

Likes (0)