forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#61 Thu 01 Mar 12 9:28am

Miss GlutenFree

Occupation Admin Officer & Mum
From Queensland, Australia
Member since Sun 14 Mar 10

Re: Your Favorite Cookbooks!

Is it sad that I have a fairly large collection of Australian Women's Weekly originals??

By far, my favourite would have to be Women's Weekly's "Beautiful Biscuits". Somehow I ended up with two copies but that's even better. My sister and I used to spend hours on our holidays pouring over and over the book just to decide what to cook. Til this day, nothing beats the smell of baking ANZAC biscuits on holidays....

I just received in the mail a special edition copy of an old cake book from the 60's. It is quite indepth and has delightful pictures and tips on how to turn a plain sponge into something spectacular. It was given to me by my Grandma with a clipping from a magazine dated 1964. NO ONE else is allowed to touch it, it means the world to me.

Oh yeah, and I'm addicted to reading/buying/hoarding copies of Delicious magazine. Yes, I am the sad little girl in the newsagent drooling over pictures of food.

Likes (0)

#62 Thu 22 Mar 12 11:45pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Hooray for the Australian Women's Weekly!
I was so excited to read that Mummza had the Children's Birthday Cakes one. I know it is a legend in Australia, but I didn't know it was used in other countries!

I have just read their Pressure Cooker book that came out last year when there was a bit of a push on pressure cooking. It was good. Pressure cookers haven't really taken off though, I guess they will become fashionable one day!

Likes (0)

#63 Fri 23 Mar 12 8:31am

MsK

Forum champ
Occupation Travelling around the globe..
From ..Holland..land of windmills!!
Member since Tue 12 Jan 10

I thought pressure cookers where in fashion around 1988...at least i remember my mum having one...horrible thing...here in holland they use them as innovative tool in cooking programs...but the chefs always struggle to get the top part off...haha

Likes (0)

#64 Sat 24 Mar 12 12:40am

Miss GlutenFree

Occupation Admin Officer & Mum
From Queensland, Australia
Member since Sun 14 Mar 10

Yeh I don't have a pressure cooker because I am too loyal to my slow cooker - I know they are brilliant for speedy cooking but I love my sleek black little 6L slow cooker. It is a thing of beauty and I don't mind getting up early in the morning to chop all the ingredients to put in it... nothing beats coming home to the aromas of slow cooked gorgeousness.

I was given the AWW Pies - Sweet & Savory for xmas last year so have every intention of trying almost all of the recipes out. Especially the mexican pie, it looks so yummy!

Likes (0)

#65 Sat 24 Mar 12 12:58am

cohphanta

Forum champ
Occupation Book Seller
From Jacksonville, FL
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

Whitney Miller's Modern Hospitality Cookbook. I love it. It's southern food redone in a modern more healthy way. The recipes are simple and delicious.

Likes (0)

#66 Sat 12 May 12 6:28pm

cannyfradock

Occupation Builder (bricklayer/ stonemason)
From S.Wales.
Member since Sat 10 Oct 09

I've mentioned before that Elizabeth David and Delia Smith are my cookery bible and dictionary respectively. F*nny Cradock was my first insight into help from a TV chef. Keith Floyd was  the inspiration into me taking an interest in cooking. Since that time there have been many TV chef's appearing on our screens, perhaps trying to achieve the same recognition as the great Kieth Floyd....(he always said that he was a good cook...not a Chef)...but many have not achieved this because they were JUST trying to be as good as their idols. The TV chefs that have surpassed this goal...are the chefs that have tried to achieve the best that "THEY" can achieve regardless of what has come before.....or maybe after them. Jamie is a prime example of this......being a protege of Ginaro (I hope thats correct)..... he achieved a knowledge good enough to be accepted within the higher echelon of the chefs fraternity.......Being a true Artisan (reading between the lines) he has surpassed this level by carrying on a campaign of spreading the good word of healthy eating to other continents.........

Enough about Jamie.....Holly and David of Manna foods .....who have encouraged people from all ages to get involved in bread baking have just released a book on Wood-fired oven cooking. This is the link to their book
http://t.co/ehjnJhtD ..(I'm not on commission...honest)......The link may be blocked and I might be banned, but I hope not as Wood-fired oven building.......and cooking are a great way of an alternative method of outdoor cooking......3000 years of typical bread ovens will back me up.

Apologies for rabbiting on a bit

Terry

Last edited by cannyfradock (Sat 12 May 12 6:29pm)

Likes (0)

#67 Sat 12 May 12 6:47pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

The White Rabbit wrote:

I have about 7 feet of cookbooks...how can i choose?

lol  lol  lol  I had forgotten about this post ...

oops and I think I might have retaher more books than that White Rabbit  oops

Likes (0)