forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 29 Apr 09 2:22pm

LouLucky13

Occupation ministry of justice
From Cardiff
Member since Sat 24 Jan 09

preserved lemons...

anyone know how to make these at home? is it more cost effective than buying?

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 29 Apr 09 4:20pm

CarolineB

Forum champ
Occupation Triplet mom and IT marketing consultant
From Bodensee
Member since Sun 29 Jan 06

Re: preserved lemons...

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 30 Apr 09 3:54am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

It is so easy, and when there are lemons about, so cheap. I never buy them.

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 30 Apr 09 5:17am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Preserved lemons

Ingredients
5 (about 600g) small to medium lemons
145g (1/2 cup) sea salt
375-500ml (1 1/2-2 cups) fresh lemon juice
Method
Wash and dry a 1L (4-cup) capacity glass jar with a plastic or plastic-lined lid (a metal lid could corrode). Wash and dry lemons to remove any surface dust or dirt. Scrub the skin to lift any dirt or grit that is hard to remove.
Cut one end of each lemon, about 5mm from the base, so they sit flat. Place 1 lemon at a time, cut-side down, on a chopping board and cut lengthways into quarters without cutting all the way through to the base. Repeat with remaining lemons. Place the lemons, in a single layer, in a freezer bag and expel air. Seal and place in freezer overnight. Remove from freezer and transfer to the fridge to thaw for 6 hours or overnight. This helps soften the rind and speeds up the maturation process.
Fill each lemon with as much salt as possible. Salt extracts juice from the lemon, softening the rind. Push lemons into jar. Sprinkle over remaining salt.
Pour over enough lemon juice to completely cover lemons. Seal, label and date. Place in a cool place, away from direct sunlight, for at least 4 weeks. Once lemons have settled in jar, you might need to add more lemon juice to ensure the lemons remain covered. The lemons will start to soften and might start to float. As a result, they may not stay entirely covered with juice and may develop a harmless white mould.
To use, remove a lemon from brine and rinse under cold running water. Pat dry with paper towel. Use a sharp knife to cut flesh from rind. Discard flesh. Cut off white pith from rind. Discard pith.

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 10 Apr 11 10:14pm

davehippy

Member since Sun 10 Apr 11

I've nearly used up my first batch of these. Can I keep and use the same brine for my next lot of lemons or is it advisable to make a fresh batch.

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 10 Apr 11 10:32pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Don't know but I wouldn't chance it.  Salt is cheaper than lemons.

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 11 Apr 11 2:08am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

I loved using the lemony salty slush in dressings and things!  yummy  yummy  yummy
Like Eddie, I wouldn't reuse it for lemons again! (when in doubt ~ throw it out).

Likes (0)