Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 25 May 09 7:00pm

amberpamba

Forum champ
Occupation Registered nurse
From Australia
Member since Thu 24 Jun 04

Making potato salad for 60 people!

Ive been asked to make my potato salad for a friends wedding. There will be approx 60 guests. Im thinking one medium potato per person? I will be using a combination of dijonnaise, mayonnaise, sour cream, and cream. Eggs and bacon as well. How much will I need to buy?

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 25 May 09 7:10pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: Making potato salad for 60 people!

Amber, in my experience , everyone loves potato salad and you can never make too much !
If I was making it I would not add the eggs and bacon as it would then also be suitable for most vegetarians.
It might be an idea to  have a bowl of bacon bits as a 'topper' instead.

I often make potato salad with small 'salad potatoes' and I boil them with their skins on , I then chop them , leaving on the skins and dress them.

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 25 May 09 7:14pm

DebDiMaggio

Forum champ
Occupation Newbie Mamma
From Italy-UK-Spain
Member since Mon 16 Jun 08

chives

Jamie had a great one with creme freche and white horseradish.

you can youtube it

Jamie Oliver potato salad.....  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 25 May 09 7:26pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Oh yes , chives, I add chopped chives to potato salad, I also add fine chopped onion that I put first into the bottom of the bowl and them put the hot potato on top of the chopped onion.
The heat of the potato will 'cook' the onion enough to take the rawness out of it.

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 25 May 09 7:29pm

DebDiMaggio

Forum champ
Occupation Newbie Mamma
From Italy-UK-Spain
Member since Mon 16 Jun 08

yes I do that too, with red onion..... actually mix in the oil and vinegar with the onion and add the spuds......it works well

I add oregano when there's no chives.....

sicilian potato salad has spuds, tomatoes, boiled french green beans and vinaigrette with red onion.  dribble  dribble

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 26 May 09 2:19am

amberpamba

Forum champ
From Australia

I already will be adding chives and parsley and onion. I highly doubt there will be any vegetarians there! The bride has specificly requested me to make it as she loves my potato salad.
Im actually looking for help with quantities, as I already know what is going in it.

Likes (0)

#7 Tue 26 May 09 2:32am

Luvmegrub

Forum champ
Occupation Cleaner at The Salmon Arms
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Fri 22 Aug 08

Hi Amber,

I checked on a party planning table that I used previously and it listed various types of food recommending 150g of potato per person so that would be 9kg of spuds.  Why not get a 10kg bag?

When I do my potato salad, I would use a 2kg bag for 10 people but we are all greedy  wink

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 26 May 09 2:43am

runwestierun

Forum champ
Occupation Volunteer
From Oregon Coast USA
Member since Sat 22 Nov 08

Catering rule of thumb when there is a variety of foods 3-4 ounces side dish per person.  So, 60 people, maybe 15 pounds of potatoes?

Likes (0)

#9 Sat 29 Aug 09 1:53pm

amberpamba

Forum champ
From Australia

Its 40 people now, I think ill just grab a 10kg bag from the markets as suggested. I dont think it will be too much, its just going to be alot of work!!!! I think ill just buy washed potatoes, bugger peeling them all! Any recommendations that wont cost too much? I know the washed potatoes I have got from the supermarket a few times have been horribly sweet and seem to ruin the flavour. I think they are nicola? Yet if I buy the dirty ones, they arent so bad.

Likes (0)

#10 Sat 29 Aug 09 2:00pm

shammrok

Forum super champ
Occupation Growing things
From Up the garden path...Tasmania
Member since Thu 02 Sep 04

I prefer to use kennebec or russet burbanks.

Supermarket spuds  in 10 kg bags often have many blemishes I have found of late and I am often cutting away more than I am putting in the pot.

Can you get some from a veggie place or farmers market?

Likes (0)