forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 13 Jun 09 11:50am

aj7877

Member since Sat 13 Jun 09

Homemade Pasta Sticks Together - Need advice please!

Hello,

Ok I've been making fresh pasta for a while but have some issues.  I use a pasta machine to roll it.  The problem is whenever I use the fettucine/spaghetti die to cut the pasta it never cuts properly and doesn't seperate the strands properly. I end up needing to seperate each strand from the other.  If I don't, you end up with one big stuck together mess in the pot.

I'm not sure if it's my pasta machine or the dough.

For the dough, I use 1 egg to 1 cup of "00" flour.  I put it in the food processor and process to moist crumbs.  I then put it on the bench and knead until silky smooth.  Then i rest it for half hour and then start rolling the sheets.  Once the sheets are rolled i dust with semolina flour and then pass it through the cutter.

I dont't know what the problem is.  Maybe my dough is too moist??

Any suggestions would be great!  Thanks

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 13 Jun 09 12:14pm

Allora Andiamo

Forum champ
Occupation Double Barrel Sheila
From Sauerkraut Country
Member since Mon 06 Oct 08

Re: Homemade Pasta Sticks Together - Need advice please!

i usually sprinkle the dough with some flour before each 'roll'..that'll stop it sticking...its also important to 'work' the dough a few times on the largest setting first which will make the pasta nice and smooth and silky and less likely to stick..once you've cut the pasta, sprinkle it with a little flour, then shake it about a bit to get rid of any excess flour...if you're going to be using it straight away you can cover it with a slightly damp tea towel which will stop it drying out....if you want to dry the spaghetti, hang it over a broom handle (cut the pasta double the length you want) and leave it to dry for a couple of days in a warm but well ventilated room  smile

oh, and dont roll the pasta through the thinnest setting..that's too thin for spaghetti  smile

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 13 Jun 09 2:59pm

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

ciao aj, why do you use 00 flour to make pasta? I usually use most of the amount or half and half durum wheat flour, I put a little heap of grano duro flour on the board where I work and pat every sheet of pasta on it before pasing it into the pasta machine rolls

When I use other flours I similarly start from let's say 2 eggs and the equivalent of one egg of water and then add the flours (a handful of buckwheat and/or spelt) then a great amount of grano duro and a little bit of 00 till I reach the consistency I need

then i let it rest as you do before making tagliatelle or spaghetti

do not give up, do not give up we all have been near to tears with sticky pasta not looking at all like the one we wanted to make lol
crossed  keep posting

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 14 Jun 09 1:27am

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

I always use lots of flour after I've cut mine if it's going to sit around awhile.  Just to make sure it doesn't stick together.  I would use a broom like Alora suggests but I use mine to ride around the neigborhood. lol
Eddie

Likes (2)

#5 Sun 14 Jun 09 2:01am

runwestierun

Forum champ
Occupation Volunteer
From Oregon Coast USA
Member since Sat 22 Nov 08

SonomaEddie wrote:

I always use lots of flour after I've cut mine if it's going to sit around awhile.  Just to make sure it doesn't stick together.  I would use a broom like Alora suggests but I use mine to ride around the neigborhood. lol
Eddie

My eyes! Ahhh! They're burning!! lol  lol  lol

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 14 Jun 09 9:02am

aj7877

Member since Sat 13 Jun 09

Thanks for your replies. 

I'm not sure saying the pasta sticks was the best way to explain the problem.  What i meant was the pasta doesn't cut cleanlt after passing through the fettucine cutter.   I need to pull the strands apart after using the cutter otherwise i end up with a big sheet that hasn't really been cut properly.

I think I'll also try dusting the sheets in between rolls.

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 14 Jun 09 10:55am

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

runwestierun wrote:

SonomaEddie wrote:

Eddie

My eyes! Ahhh! They're burning!! lol  lol  lol

lol  lol  lol

if you let it rest and it's not humid it will not stick through the tagliatelle device, maybe  for spaghetti the pasta sheet should be a little thicker hmm

do not give up crossed

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 14 Jun 09 12:31pm

Allora Andiamo

Forum champ
From Sauerkraut Country

aj7877 wrote:

Thanks for your replies. 

I'm not sure saying the pasta sticks was the best way to explain the problem.  What i meant was the pasta doesn't cut cleanlt after passing through the fettucine cutter.   I need to pull the strands apart after using the cutter otherwise i end up with a big sheet that hasn't really been cut properly.

I think I'll also try dusting the sheets in between rolls.

like mada says, as long as the pasta isnt too moist when you put it thru the cutters it shouldnt stick..the thing is, if the pasta HAS been sticking to the cutters, you wont get a clean cut on the next sheet of pasta so sprinkling the cutters with flour will help too ...and make sure you sprinkle the sheet with flour before every roll using a thicker setting for cutting spaghetti & tagliatelle..the thinner settings are  normally used for making pasta sheets for things like ravioli or tortellini  smile give it another go and dont give up  big_smile
thumbsup

Likes (0)

#9 Sun 14 Jun 09 3:36pm

Allora Andiamo

Forum champ
From Sauerkraut Country

SonomaEddie wrote:

Eddie

lol  lol @eddie

that's why i have two...one for drying and the other one for flying   lol

Likes (0)