Jamie Oliver

forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 17 Jun 09 5:16pm

wizzerpace

Member since Mon 15 Jun 09

New home catering business

Hi all
I am new to this forum, and I would love some advice please.

I am hoping to set up a catering business from home. I plan on targetting a high-end market where I offer corporate business lunches. Also I will concentrate on offering hot and cold buffet catering  for events such as parties, christenings, funerals, anniversaries etc.

Does anyone have any tips or innovative marketing ideas for me? Also, do you think there is still a market for this type of business given the times we live in.

Please let me know your thoughts

I live in Worcestershire in England by the way

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 18 Jun 09 2:21pm

sergio1972

Forum champ
Occupation NLP Trainer and Coach
From Portugal
Member since Tue 09 Dec 08

Re: New home catering business

Hi wizzer,
about the corporate business: have you any ideas on how to reach the people who decide that? have you any connections, contacts? My first advice would be to get a good public relations. If you go from scratch you'll have a lot of digging to do.
If thats the case you must find a way to get in touch with the administration's secretary, maybe offer her a nice treat, cake, etc. and present your services. Despite the crisis, companies still need to hold meetings where meals are served all you have to do is show them good food, at reasonable prices and you re in business.
Also maybe it would be a good idea to get some sort of partnership with some local restaurants, where these executives have lunch, i.e. they advertise your services and you give them some commission on whatever they get you...

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 18 Jun 09 4:09pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

You might consider catering for weddings, it can be very lucrative.  Here, venues offer wedding shows, people seeking caterers, cake-makers, photographers, etc. for their weddings come and shop for services, people offering services bring photos of what they offer, samples, business cards.

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 19 Jun 09 3:33am

Tara

Forum champ
Occupation Mother, Best Friend, home trained cook.
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sat 22 Dec 07

Hi Wizzer,

Part of my job is organising corporate seminars, part of that is getting the right caterer for the job.  I use a catering middle man of sorts, they have a database of caterers all over Melbourne, they just type in the post code where we are doing the seminar and I get to choose who I want in the area.  If there are any of these types of business available to you I would sign up. These are the ones I use, just to give you an idea of what Im talking about-  http://www.orderin.com.au/  .

My first choice has always been those who have provided photos of their fare on the website or in the catalogue.  I cant stand the uncertainty of ordering from someone new and not being able to see what they have.  Its always good to offer free samples of your fare to potential customers and let them know you will deliver the sample at no cost.  I found most caterers when doing sandwiches recommend  1 1/2 serves per person, just something to keep in mind.  The most popular things at lunches are wraps, cobb sandwiches and baggettes, bagels are another nice option.  I also like to order small cakes.  Try to remember to keeps some vegetarian and glutten free products on offer too. 

P.S always ask for feedback!  Good or bad it will always be of benefit.

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 19 Jun 09 4:05am

Tara

Forum champ
From Melbourne Australia

Make sure you have all of your heath and safety rules in order.  Unless you havea refriderated vehicle you may be limited as to how far away from your base you can deliver.  I know here the caterer delivers the catering no earlier than 15 mins prior to the lunch so the food isnt sitting out for too long. 

Just one more thing, always keeps your eye on the current trends, everyone wants to try the latest thing. thumbsup

Last edited by Mrs_Master (Fri 19 Jun 09 4:09am)

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 19 Jun 09 12:31pm

wizzerpace

Member since Mon 15 Jun 09

Thank you everyone who has replied to me, it has all been really useful, especially seeing what other people do outside England. It would be good to take new ideas to my potential clients that they may not have seen in England before. Thank you Mrs Master I will check that website out
big_smile

Last edited by wizzerpace (Fri 19 Jun 09 12:32pm)

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 19 Jun 09 2:31pm

Tara

Forum champ
From Melbourne Australia

Good luck Wizz, would love to hear how you progress even if it takes a while to get your idea up and running. Im sure the forum will provide plenty of good recipe ideas if youre ever stuck too, professionally or personally.

Likes (0)

#8 Sat 27 Jun 09 6:25am

frankiben123

Member since Sat 27 Jun 09

thanks...........

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 20 Sep 13 9:13pm

rss4you

Member since Wed 19 Jun 13

Practical aspects of the business-locations, certifications, costs, business plan, insurance and marketing – How you present your catering business is essential.. For corporate and other business types, send a sales letter and brochure, then follow up with a phone call requesting an appointment to discuss your services.You could also cater a charity event in exchange for publicity, then get your company written up in local publications. Volunteer yourself for a local radio chat show and answer questions about throwing successful parties.An Internet page would be the best solution as well, because there you can write about yourself and post pictures with your food, list a menu and even get customer reviews, which can be the best recommendations you get. You should also be visible on social networks, and create an identity for the business, and interact with people; this will bring them closer and make them trust your business. Furthermore, if you have the means, invest in ads for local newspapers, the radio and even banners throughout the city.
I hope this information has helped you.Check http://www.RestaurantSuccessMonthly.com for more hard hitting catering & restaurant information.

Jonathan Munsell
Founder & Creator of Restaurant Success System

Likes (0)