Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 30 Jun 09 5:00pm

Occupation Equipment Installation Technician for the phone company
From Plymouth Massachusetts
Member since Tue 30 Jun 09

Marinated onions

When I was in Italy I had onions marinated in red wine and they were still crunchy.  Does anyone have a recipe?

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 03 Jul 09 12:57am

Occupation Plant manager in a food industry.
From Milan
Member since Sun 12 Oct 08

Re: Marinated onions

small white onions
bay leaves
How to:
put salt on the onions e let them marinate for about 4 hrs, then drain them and put them in a pot full of 1 ltr. of hot boiling marinade (1/3 wine, 1/3 winegar, 1/3 water, some bay leaves, a spoon of sugar).
Wait a minute from the restarting of boiling and then drain the onions and let them become cold.
To be served cold.
Good appetite!

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 08 Jul 09 8:22pm

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Welcome to the forum plimothpilgrim and francognutti  big_smile

I have to agree , adding the bay leaves is a good idea and one that I have never thought of doing before. I will give it a try.

I love marinated onions and its something that I generally do if we are having salads or a BBQ ., or just simply with bread and cheese.

Mostly I marinade the onions with the marinade slightly sweetened ,  I think that is because I know that my family enjoy the onions that way.

Like you francognutti , I usually add a little water to the vinegar , but I do not cook the onions at all.

What my family like best is when I do the onions like this...

I slice the onions thinly ,( and like Jamie already  said , the thickness of the onion will depend on the type of onion that I am using. )
Milder onion...slice thicker
Stronger onions slice thinner

I put the sliced onions in a bowl and I cover them with a mixture of Vinegar which has had a little hot water and a good sprinkle of sugar added , its a bit difficult to say what type of vinegar that I use as I tend to mix it to taste and often will blend a couple of vinegars together to achieve the taste that I am looking for at the time.
Simple as that !

I mostly use a light colored vinegar ,
Red wine vinegar will colour the onions , which I do quite like.

I will sometimes season the vinegar with a few thyme leaves .
Like Jamie , I do not marinade the onions for long , I think of them like an almost 'instant' extra salad accompaniment or addition to a cold meat meal.

Last edited by mummza (Wed 08 Jul 09 8:22pm)

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 10 Jul 09 7:40pm

Occupation Plant manager in a food industry.
From Milan
Member since Sun 12 Oct 08

Probably I misunderstood: I don't slice onions, but use whole small one (like Borettane) so I have to cook them almost a for a short while.
They are sweeeeeet and crunchy... like mummza I prefer them with soft fat cheese.

Try them filled with olives sauce and tuna!
http://www.italiadelizie.com/prodotto-i … cts_id/243

tnx for the welcome!

Likes (0)