Subscribe to forums RSS

#1501 Fri 13 May 11 1:13pm

Earthmum

Forum champ
Occupation HR / mum / jack of all trades
From England
Member since Mon 21 Sep 09

Re: Ready, Set, Cook Discussion Thread

I have asked everyone what they think my dish is and they were all different  hmm

Most people thought roast beef and all the trimmings, others said cakes in particular my chocolate cake.  I will try and make one to post over the weekend but make no promises, life is so hectic at the moment.

An idea for next month - I have just become the proud owner of 5 chickens so will be looking for recipies using loads of eggs, and I think my challange will be a souffle I never ever made one  yikes  any advice .........

Gem

Likes (0)

#1502 Fri 13 May 11 8:10pm

christian_halfm

Occupation Sometimes I would like to know myself (or like to change it).
From Germany
Member since Thu 17 Mar 11

jutta73 wrote:

Do we have a theme for May yet? Maybe I missed it.

This is something I would now as well. I'm looking forwards to have a share.

Likes (0)

#1503 Sat 14 May 11 12:59am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Cengland! Your turn! Are you out there? Coooee!

Likes (0)

#1504 Wed 18 May 11 12:34pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia

I don't know what has happened to Cengland. I hope she is all right!

Since she hasn't been able to put up an idea for May, how about we do the egg one? thumbsup
There are still a couple of weeks to go!

THE GREAT EGG RECIPE! READY SET COOK!!!!!

The May challenge is to make a recipe that uses up LOTS of eggs! There must be three eggs in it or it doesn't count!
The more eggs the better! But remember, it has to taste good too!

You can use a recipe you have made before... or be inspired by a new one.

Then come and tell us all about it on this thread, and do share the recipe if it is a good one!

If you can take a photo you can post it in the blog section or link to flickr or whatever IT magic you are capable of!

There are lots of ideas for using lots of eggs in this thread:
http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=72603

What do you think you might do?

Good luck!

Likes (0)

#1505 Wed 18 May 11 3:51pm

Earthmum

Forum champ
Occupation HR / mum / jack of all trades
From England
Member since Mon 21 Sep 09

I will have to find time this month, I would like to try a souffle, never ever made one - so any tips or recipies would be good  whistle .

I haven't got round to making my chocolate cake yet for last month, but it is No1 sons birthday on Friday so perhaps will manage then.
Gem

Likes (0)

#1506 Wed 18 May 11 9:59pm

christian_halfm

From Germany

I want to try the spinach and feta pie I saw the recipe on here somewhere on the website. It says: 5 eggs.
I only need to find some filo pastry now somewhere nearby. I wonder whether the Yufka pastry from the Turkish shop will do.
I haven't got so much spinach in my garden yet, so I guess I have to get that as well. That is no problem.
Well, I guess then, I will go for it soon!

Likes (0)

#1507 Thu 19 May 11 5:43am

Luvmegrub

Forum champ
Occupation Cleaner at The Salmon Arms
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Fri 22 Aug 08

I like the eggs challenge Joy.  I still haven't cooked my signature dish from last month but I will be doing it soon (I'm on a mission to use up everything in my freezer and cupboard before I go grocery shopping).

One thing I won't be doing is a recipe that states 12 egg yolks or 8 egg whites.  I never seem to get round to using what's left over so I avoid splitting eggs where possible.  Of course Gem will be able to throw hers away when those chickens get busy  lol

Likes (0)

#1508 Thu 19 May 11 3:31pm

christian_halfm

From Germany

Today I did a spinach and feta pie. It was not so difficult.
I got Turkish puff pastry for it. While looking for it, I found that the Turkish shop nearby has many other nice things to sell. So I rediscovered this shop and I for sure have to go back there again.
I took the recipe from Jamie's 30 minute meals here on the website. I didn't do the other things though, that were mentioned in the menu with it.
The pastry was a bit difficult to handle, because there were three large pieces that were difficult to separate, so it tore apart a bit. But this was no problem for the pie.
Another thing is that my oven does not seem to give what he promises. After 25 minutes the pie was still a bit fair-coloured. So I had to put it back in for some more minutes.
The end result was very nice. I had a piece of the pie together with a nice salad.

Likes (0)

#1509 Fri 20 May 11 1:51am

Luvmegrub

Forum champ
Occupation Cleaner at The Salmon Arms
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Fri 22 Aug 08

Well done Christian  clap   I have problems with filo pastry tearing but I just stick it back together and go for the rustic look  lol

I love Turkish food.  My sis in law is married to a Turkish guy and the food his mother cooks is amazing.  Hope you get to experiment with some more ingredients from your Turkish shop.

Likes (0)

#1510 Fri 20 May 11 2:07am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia

Yum Christian!  Those flavours go so beautifully together!
At 5 eggs you are the current champion!

(Just joking, it isn't really that sort of challenge!)

big_smile

Did it taste very eggy? I want to make something savoury, so a pie like that might be just what I want. Would you recommend the recipe?

Likes (0)