Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 27 Jul 09 5:56pm

dave452

Member since Sun 26 Jul 09

Port - how long does it last?

This question has been bugging me for a while.. how long does a bottle of Port last once it's opened?

The labels on bottles normally say drink within 3 weeks but I don't get through a bottle of port that quick! I'm pretty sure they say that to make you buy it more often... And given that it's a fortified wine - isn't it supposed to last much longer?

Does anyone have any ideas?

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 27 Jul 09 8:32pm

sergio1972

Forum champ
Occupation NLP Trainer and Coach
From Portugal
Member since Tue 09 Dec 08

Re: Port - how long does it last?

Hi Dave, Ive never bought Port wine with labels saying it should be drank within 3 weeks. Even after you open it Port lasts for quite a long time, way more than 3 wks. If you put the cork back on its quite ok.

Cheers

Likes (0)

#3 Tue 28 Jul 09 2:53pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Whilst it may not "go off" for some time after opening, it will loose it's flavour fairly quickly. With a cheap and cheerful ruby port this is likely to be less of an issue than with say, a delicate 20 y.o. tawny.

Likes (0)

#4 Tue 28 Jul 09 3:32pm

sergio1972

Forum champ
From Portugal

wine~o wrote:

Whilst it may not "go off" for some time after opening, it will loose it's flavour fairly quickly. With a cheap and cheerful ruby port this is likely to be less of an issue than with say, a delicate 20 y.o. tawny.

Or a nice Port Vintage... yummy

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 28 Jul 09 4:35pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

sergio

When i can afford it, a good vintage port won't last a day  yummy

Likes (0)

#6 Tue 28 Jul 09 5:23pm

sergio1972

Forum champ
From Portugal

wine~o wrote:

sergio

When i can afford it, a good vintage port won't last a day  yummy

And Im sure it wont be cause its ruined before the end of that day... wink

For as weird as it may seem I must confess Im not a huge port fan and I certainly at this point wouldnt pay 100, 200 or more euros for a bottle. But things keep changing so who knows? When I was younger I didnt like wine at all so...

Likes (0)

#7 Wed 02 Sep 09 3:37pm

Joanabolota

Occupation Public Relations at a winetourism depart.
From Azeitão - Portugal
Member since Fri 27 Feb 09

Hello Guys,

Just to help you out:

if you buy a bottle of a vintage Port, you have to drink it within 24/48hours. And why? Because a Vintage Port is only left in casks for 2 years, and then it i'll improve in bottle for many many years, but a soon as you open the bottle, the oxidation will immediatly start. As for a Moscatel, on the other hand, once you open the bottle it will last for at least 6 months. And why?... Because Moscatel only improves in wood, we leave it in wood for a minimum of 2 years, and can stay for 100 years in wood, always improving, becoming sweeter and syrupee...!

Beijinhos,
Joana

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 03 Sep 09 3:24am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

is there anyway to make it last?
The best guess at the moment would be to freeze it? That somehow doesn't seem right with port. But I would love to buy a good bottle and make it last over a few months! (I am pretty alcohol intolerant so I have to be careful, but O I love a rich gorgeous port now and then).

Likes (0)

#9 Thu 03 Sep 09 2:53pm

sergio1972

Forum champ
From Portugal

Olá Joana,
I'm curious to know where you work, as you can see I'm in the wine business as well although not really with Port and Moscatel but who knows.

Joy, you can either follow Joana's advice and buy Moscatel as its indeed a good choice or if you really insist on Port, buy a Tawny with year reference as it lasts about 4 months after being opened.

Likes (0)

#10 Thu 03 Sep 09 3:16pm

Joanabolota

Occupation Public Relations at a winetourism depart.
From Azeitão - Portugal
Member since Fri 27 Feb 09

Hello Sergio,

I work at José Maria da Fonseca Winery...
I'm sure you know us...

Joana wink

Likes (0)