forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 01 Aug 09 1:36pm

easygoinghoney

From Manchester
Member since Sun 10 Jul 05

Squid Ink Pasta

Does anybody have any ideas for sauces to go with Squid Ink pasta?

Many thanks

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 01 Aug 09 1:47pm

dukegus

Forum champ
Occupation Unemployed,
From Greece
Member since Fri 21 Mar 08

Re: Squid Ink Pasta

Well I once made a tomato-less basil-more fennel sauce with squid that was very tasty, but you need something white to look better. It's just pasta with black color nothing more wink

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 01 Aug 09 5:29pm

francognutti

Occupation Plant manager in a food industry.
From Milan
Member since Sun 12 Oct 08

Try this
Black pasta with prawn sauce

Ingredients (serves 4):
- 400 gr spaghetti neri
- 250 gr prawn tails w.o. shell
- 200 gr cream
- 150 gr leak
- thyme
- oil
- salt and pepper in grains.

How to:
Make a soffritto with oil, leak and thyme, add the cream, add salt and pepper.
Let it boil for a minute and then add all the ingredients to a blender.
Cut the prawn tails and brown them in a pan with little oil, add the blended ingredients and test for salt and pepper.
Cook spaghetti "al dente" in plenty of salty water, drain them and add them to the pan with the sauce and whip two/three minutes.
Serve hot.

f.

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 08 Aug 09 2:23pm

BelindaG

Occupation Freelance
From Moscow
Member since Sat 06 Sep 08

I make a tomato based seafood sauce and the black pasta with the bright red sauce looks incredibly sexy:

Ingredients: (serves 2)
One tin of peeled italian tomatoes (or fresh)
A glug or two of dry white wine
3 cloves crushed Garlic
Red Chillies to your taste. (I use 2 or 3)
Fresh basil
Prawn stock if you have some in the freezer
6 whole baby Calamari (if you can find it)
Clams (tinned will work)
6 fresh Prawns
8 fresh Mussels (or frozen)
4 Tab Butter
4 Tab Olive oil
Tomato paste
Salt

Method:
Best to use a non stick frying pan with a lide.  Heat a bit of olive oil over med-high heat.  When warm add the butter and the garlic and some of the basil leaves (leave some for when you serve, but I found that frying the basil leaves gives them a different flavour).... Quickly add the shelled, cleaned prawns and the mussels.  Toss them until the prawns have changed colour and then remove and set aside.  Add the calamari and as soon as it shrugs its shoulders and turns white, set aside.  Add the clams if you have them and toss for a minute, then remove.  Add the tin of tomatoes (reserve the liquid and freeze for another time).  Put the lid on and let the tomatoes cook properly, lifting the lid to break them down every 5 minutes. When your tomatoes are behaving saucey nd all resemblance of any wholesomeness has vanished, lift the lid and let things reduce a little.  Add a tablespoon of prawn stock,  and a tsp of tomato paste, and let it cook through, then add a glass of wine and let it reduce a little.  Now add the seafood and warm through to serve.  Taste and season.  Sprinkle with torn basil leaves.

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 24 Aug 09 8:54am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Black Pasta in Shrimp Garlic Cream Sauce

4 ounces Black Squid Ink Pasta
2 teaspoons butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon shallots, minced
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup heavy cream
Nutmeg, freshly grated to taste
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
Salt and pepper, to taste
6 frozen cooked Shrimp thawed, tails intact (61 - 70 count)
2 tablespoons Parmesan Cheese, finely grated
4 chive stems for garnish

Prepare squid ink pasta according to package directions.

In a skillet over medium high heat melt butter, sauté garlic and shallots for 2 minutes; add white wine; simmer until reduced by one half.  Add broth and cream, lower the temperature and simmer until thickened. Remove from heat; add nutmeg, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Spoon sauce onto serving plates.

Twirl the squid ink strands around a long-tined fork, slide off onto the sauce plates.  Add shrimp, cheese, chives and serve.

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 24 Aug 09 11:42am

sergio1972

Forum champ
Occupation NLP Trainer and Coach
From Portugal
Member since Tue 09 Dec 08

Hi, I do a similar recipe to Belinda's, yet I add some thinly sliced ginger and some coriander seeds.

Alternatives to shrimps and so can be salmon or even red mullet - although this last one I'd probably cook it some other way.

Cheers thumbsup

Likes (0)