Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Tue 04 Aug 09 9:04pm

Mowielicious

Occupation Photographer
From London
Member since Thu 30 Oct 08

Orange & Ginger biscuit posset verrines

Hello everyone!

Just thought I'd share my recipe for Orange & Ginger biscuit posset verrines with you all, I made them over the weekend for some guests, and they went down a treat, literally big_smile

http://www.mowielicious.com/home/2009/0 … rines.html

Have you had posset before? If so, what flavours? I'm thinking of making a lime one next. 

What are your favourite verrine combinations? I'm trying to think up a chocolate one, but I don't really want it to be too rich, more light and fluffy. Any suggestions?

M x

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 04 Aug 09 11:30pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Re: Orange & Ginger biscuit posset verrines

Nice photo and recipe, thanks for posting it.

Pierre Herme had some beautiful examples in his shop in Paris, didn't really try them I don't think, but had many of his pastries both in Paris and Tokyo, it's worth looking up some recipes in his books if you can, he's very creative, in Bangkok in a hotel -  white chocolate/passion fruit verrine was popular and I think they had a white chocolate cherry one as well.  Another good example from Paris was a pineapple verrine with coconut madeleines from another hotel and that one was so light, really superb, it was a signature dessert but I don't remember the chef's name, sorry!  Seemed always to be served in vodka glasses.  Hope this gives you some ideas.

What exactly is possett?

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 05 Aug 09 6:39pm

Mowielicious

Occupation Photographer
From London
Member since Thu 30 Oct 08

Hey MsPablo, so glad you like it smile

I absolutely LOVE Pierre Herme's creations! They are so stunning, like little works of art.

As for posset, originally I think it was any type of cream or milk product mixed with spices or other flavours and heated up. A lot of the old recipes I have feature an alcoholic addition, like a liqueur or something similar.

Stay tuned for more verrines... I'm feeling inspired!

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 23 Aug 09 3:23pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

We used to eat possets a lot when I was young, flavoured with what was to hand:
Lemon & Honey,
Cider, Cinnamon & Nutmeg,
Elderflower Cordial & Ginger,
Raspberry puree (rubbed through a sieve),
Orange zest & Brandy (grown-ups only),
Syrups of Sweet Cicely, Mint, Caraway or one of the Aniseedy herbs, & then decorated with sugared flowers.

There were probably others but I cannot bring them to mind just now.
Along with Posset, we also ate Junket (a sort of blancmange) & a myriad of other "milk puddings" that young folk turn their noses up to, yet were totally delicious done properly.

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 24 Aug 09 1:55am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

I love junket Minerva. i was the only one in our family of seven children who likes it, and so my mum would make it for me whenever I was sick. (Encouraging hypochondria  wink ). The iconic junket tablets business (flavoured or plain) in Australia finally went bust several years ago as less and less people eat it. However the people who worked in the factory are keeping junket alive through small bottles of junket powder. I bought a bottle, but I haven't made any yet. smile

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 24 Aug 09 8:14am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Cocoa Coffee Verrine

Ingredients
Serves 4-6

180g milk
2 egg yolks
50g sugar
120g dark chocolate (at least 66%)
50g milk chocolate
150g espresso
80g sugar syrup (1 tbsp extra for caramelised rice)
250g icing sugar
120g cream
1 vanilla pod
200g rice bubbles
Pinch of salt

Method
Chocolate Custard: 
Bring the milk and cream to the boil and whisk the egg yolks and sugar into the mixture. Cook everything back until it thickens. Blend in the dark and milk chocolate until you get a smooth texture. Cool. (This can be done in advance)

Coffee Granita:
Combine sugar syrup and espresso, and store in the freezer. This can be done up to 23 days in advance.

Caramelised Rice:
Caramelise the rice crispies (or bubbles) in a saucepan with a bit of sugar syrup and add a pinch of salt to enhance the flavour.

Chantilly:
Whip the cream with half a vanilla pod and a spoon of icing sugar (to taste).

To present:
Crush/blend the granita to granule stage.
Layer the chocolate custard, caramelised rice and coffee granita in individual glasses. Warm a soup spoon under hot water before scooping the Chantilly on top.

Likes (0)