forum: Chicken

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 21 Aug 09 1:01pm

chickenkeeper

Member since Fri 21 Aug 09

Church of England Eviction

Does anybody know of any C of E directives or advice on chickens as I have been threatened with eviction by the church for keeping 4 hens even though my lease only forbids pets!  sad
I have a 25m x 8m garden.
So much for my effort as a local primary school teacher to go green.  crossed

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 22 Aug 09 2:56am

Tara

Forum champ
Occupation Mother, Best Friend, home trained cook.
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sat 22 Dec 07

Re: Church of England Eviction

I don't think theres much you can do if the lease clearly stated that there were to be no pets, a pet is a pet, whether its a snake, a dog or a bird.  Even if a pet is kept outside, like some do with their dogs, it still has potiential to cause damage to the property which is probably why that clause is in there in the first place. Chickens can do damage to yards and require housing to be set up in the yard as well, not all owners are open this occuring on their investment property.  If you signed a lease saying there would be no pets, you have broken that agreement.

I used to rent a property the catholic church, and whether a church or an individual owner, rental laws still applied. A girl next door to me also rented a church house and had chickens, she used to bring the poor things in the house of night because she was afraid of foxes and didnt have an adequate coop.  I could only imagine the damage the scratching and chicken poo did the the inside floors, not to mention health and safety issues.  I also had concern about foxes prowling around our neighbourhood because of the attraction of her chickens.  I'm not saying this is what you are doing, but its suprising how many people do this kind of thing and then the landlord is left with the damage bill.

I think your hearts in the right place Chicken keeper but next time I would ask first.  Perhaps your better off finding a property where keeping chickens is acceptable.  I would make it well and truely clear that is your intention, best to ask first rather than be disappointed, good luck.

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 22 Aug 09 10:30am

chickenkeeper

Hi Mrs Master,

Chickens are clased as livestock under the law.
My lease states "not to keep pets without the prior conconsent of the landlord". The church have said in this letter "we must now advise that no livestock may be kept either" and then go on to say that if i do not get rid of the hens they will serve notice. I Have spoken to the Agent and they were unaware of threat until we were sent the letter.
Rgds

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 22 Aug 09 10:40am

Tara

Forum champ
From Melbourne Australia

Well I hope you can work something out with them, at the end of the day, I would try to find some middle ground.  I just wonder if a rental tribunal will see it as fair given that no pets are allowed.  In Aus a mediator of sorts makes the choices on rental issues and tend to go on common sense.  Best of luck.

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 22 Aug 09 10:55am

dukegus

Forum champ
Occupation Unemployed,
From Greece
Member since Fri 21 Mar 08

Well I don't know in England, but here in Greece it is allowed to have pets by law, and if someone wants to evict(?) you for having pets he doesn't have the right, you can go to court about it, no matter if you have signed an agreement or anything, it's against the law to forbid you pets or anything.

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 22 Aug 09 11:03am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

I hope you find a way. Can you try charming them with your wonderful and responsible set up and behaviour?
It is worth arguing. At our flats the Corporate Body agent sent a letter out saying that if we kept things (like garden pots) in the old communal wash room it would be permanently locked. My neighbour, an owner occupant, rang and complained, she was told it was for insurance. I wrote and complained and was told that the owners would have to make the decision!!!!
Still working on it here! smile

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 24 Aug 09 9:21pm

chickenkeeper

Good news.

The Allotments Act 1950, Chapter 31, Section 12 states that regardless of clauses in leases/ tenancies/ covenants/ contracts or agreements to the contrary, the occupier of any land can keep hens and rabbits on it, for their own use, so long as they set up and maintain adequate housing and so long as they make sure that the hens/rabbits don't become a nuisance or pose a threat to health.
(Navigate to the Office of Public Sector Information website (opsi.gov.uk) and search for Allotments Act 1950 to read the full text)

It has not been repealed and is still law!!!!!!       

This means that anyone can keep hens legally and doesn't need to worry about being punished if they do.  smile  big_smile  smile  big_smile  smile

Likes (0)

#8 Tue 25 Aug 09 1:40am

Tara

Forum champ
From Melbourne Australia

Congratualtions Chickenkeeper Im surprised, happy chicken keeping  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#9 Tue 25 Aug 09 1:48am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Hooray!  smile