forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 27 Aug 09 4:56pm

lildebs

From Lancashire
Member since Thu 27 Aug 09

Fish stock and what to do with it

Hi All,

I have only just joined the forums and am trying to work my way around, so please bear with me if I have posted this in the wrong place or anything!!

I recently made a trip to a local fish market and when I got home I filleted (sp?) some of the fish (Mackerel & Sea Bass) and made a lovely stock with the heads, bones and veg etc. After feeling very pleased with myself for being thrifty I then scoured the internet for ideas on what to do with it and couldn't find anything other than recipes of how to make fish stock!! Maybe I should have researched this bit first. hmm    The stock is now in a tupperware tub in the freezer.

Your comments and suggestions would be much appreciated!

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 27 Aug 09 5:14pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08
    Likes (0)

#3 Fri 28 Aug 09 12:48am

Torilla

Forum champ
Occupation Student , Hobby Chef
From Bavaria, South Germany
Member since Sat 30 Jun 07

Re: Fish stock and what to do with it

Make a beautiful bouillabaisse.

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 28 Aug 09 10:37am

lildebs

From Lancashire

Thankyou both for your suggestions, your Etruscan Salmon recipe looks lovely MsPablo.
I think the Bouillabasse recipe is a brilliant idea, i'm looking forward to trying it, looks like I will be making another trip to the fishmongers this weekend! Thanks again.

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 28 Aug 09 11:09am

Stella Heath

Forum champ
Occupation getting along as best I can
From Burgos, Spain
Member since Mon 27 Oct 08

Paella. Prepare a base of onion, garlic, green pepper and tomates, add any seafood you like - it can be cheap and not over-abundant. this usually means, in this order, squid, firm white fish, mussels, clams..., allowing each ingredient to release and boil off excess water before adding the next. Remove shellfish and put aside as soon as they open. Next add frozen peas or, more traditionally, runner beans, and 3tbsp. roundgrain rice per person. Fry all together for a couple of minutes, and cover with the stock- 2 1/2 times the volume of rice. Add saffron and cook over moderate heat without covering for 18 minutes, till almost all the stock has been absorbed. Cover with a clean cloth and a tight-fitting lid, and leave to stand for a further five minutes. Enjoy! thumbsup

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 28 Aug 09 11:26am

lildebs

From Lancashire

Thanks Stella Heath. Paella was the first think I considered when i made the stock as i LOVE it. But I don't have a proper Paella pan, I do have a large heavy based pan, i call it a curry pan for making stews and curry etc, and a large tefal frying pan but that doesn't have a lid. Do you think either of those would work or does it need to be a proper pan to enable even cooking? Also do you know if I could use Arborio rice instead of Paella rice? Thanks again!

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 28 Aug 09 11:33am

runneralps

Forum champ
From GREECE,region of MACEDONIA,SKG
Member since Sat 08 Nov 08

how about freezing them, in ice cube cases,and every time you gonna make a fish dish ,  make a sauce with some of those, as a base of the sauce...

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 28 Aug 09 12:00pm

maddimouse

Forum champ
Occupation chatterbox addicted to cooking
From mid-west Germany
Member since Mon 23 Feb 09

How about a risotto? When I serve fish with it I always use fish stock to cook the risotto.

Let us know what youve finally done with it!

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 28 Aug 09 12:07pm

lildebs

From Lancashire

Runneralps, I did think of freezing them in ice cube trays, unfortunately this only came to mind after freezing the whole thing, I probably should have reduced it and put it in stock cubes to save freezer space, thats a job for next time!

Maddimouse thanks for the suggestion, have made chicken risotto many times but never a fish one. Maybe a could do a paella seafood type risotto?? Not sure if it would work but there is only one way to find out I suppose! Will post back and let you know what I have done and how it turns out!

Likes (0)

#10 Fri 28 Aug 09 12:10pm

maddimouse

Forum champ
Occupation chatterbox addicted to cooking
From mid-west Germany
Member since Mon 23 Feb 09

Heya,
its not that difficult really, you could just cook a basic risotto, using some butter, onions, risotto rice, whine and fish stock and a couple spices.

Take a fish filet of your choice, season it with salt, pepper, maybe some lemon zests, cover it with flour and fry it in a pan.

Serve the risotto with the piece of fish on top.

You dont have to cook it WITH the risotto.

Also, you could add a little curry to your risotto, fry some prawns on the side and just mix them to the risotto before serving.

Likes (0)