forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 11 Sep 09 4:29pm

steviehg

From Essex
Member since Fri 11 Sep 09

Padron Peppers

Hi, I've been growing Padron Pepper's for the past couple of years in our greenhouse and this years crop has been brilliant. Has anyone else tried growing these pepper's which are great for a pre diiner nibble with an ice cold beer and a game of pepper russian roulette, I always seem to get a hot one!.

Cheers

Steve
Romford, Essex

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 14 Sep 09 3:27pm

sergio1972

Forum champ
Occupation NLP Trainer and Coach
From Portugal
Member since Tue 09 Dec 08

Re: Padron Peppers

Hi steviehg, I havent grown them but Im a big fan.
I usually fry them in olive oil, smashed garlic and plenty of salt.
Tell me, do you grow them just like other peppers? I've grown red and green peppers this year. Do you have to plant the seeds in Spring or any time of the year will do?

Cheers

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 14 Sep 09 4:06pm

steviehg

From Essex

Hi Sergio, yep we started them off indoors in early spring, and  as we are in the UK have been growing them in a greenhouse in 20-30cm pots, just like other peppers and have been picking a handful nearly every day!, we just fry them in a little olive oil, so will try them with our home grown garlic next.

Cheers, Steve

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 09 Apr 10 6:49pm

Mangosa

Member since Fri 09 Apr 10

Hi! I just received my Padron Pepper seeds after discovering them in Santiago de Compostela! It sounds like you started groing them indoors first. Could you give me some pointers on the details? Sunlight, soil, etc?? Much thanks!!

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 09 Apr 10 7:02pm

steviehg

From Essex

Hi Mangosa, yes we have them in the back of our lounge at the moment but will soon move them into the greenhouse and grow them on in larger pots in either a compost / growbag mix. Sow them asap and treat as you would normal peppers. Last year we were eating them right up to early December before the 1st snow etc. We are based just o/s London in Essex and the Padron Pepper seeds are widely available in Garden Centres now. If you do not have a greenhouse a sheltered patio should be fine. Good luck with them and hope you have a good crop.

Cheers, Steve

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 10 Apr 10 11:16am

libra

Member since Tue 04 Nov 08

What is it about these that is different? Are they especially hot? Haven't heard of them before.

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 10 Apr 10 12:28pm

steviehg

From Essex

The majority of the peppers are quite mild but occasionally one is really, really HOT!...... great fun.  Try them next time you are in a Tapas Bar. Regards, Steve

Last edited by steviehg (Sat 10 Apr 10 5:42pm)

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 02 May 10 2:11pm

bestyt

From Tenerife, Canary Islands
Member since Sun 02 May 10

Hi. I'm in need of a bit of advice. Just managed to buy 14 Padron Pepper plants @ 3" high for 1 here in Tenerife. It certainly saved trying to grow them from seed. Since planting them into larger pots, i have noticed that the plants in 6" of soil have almost doubled in height in a week to those in 4" of soil. Do these peppers prefer deeper soil, as it's been suggested to me that i plant them in grow bags, which of course aren't all that deep.
I do consider myself very lucky here, as i am able to buy the peppers for the table from the local farmers market which is a 5 minute walk from home for 4 per kilo. Not bad eh? I'm not a skinflint, but just want to grow my own. Climate is perfect. It just depends how green my fingers are, so to speak.
Oh, and also i have never come across one of the 'hot' ones either and we eat them almost every week here.
Does anyone want any plantlets posting, haha.
Thanks for any replies.
Tim

Last edited by bestyt (Sun 02 May 10 2:14pm)

Likes (0)

#9 Sun 02 May 10 4:32pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Now I'm curious.  I'll have to look around and see if anyone in our area is selling the plants.

Likes (0)

#10 Sun 02 May 10 5:32pm

steviehg

From Essex

6" pots should be fine though you could go bigger, we have about 7 plants grown from seed in the greenhouse so roll on the summer for an ice cold beer and some padrons!

Cheers, Steve

Likes (0)