forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 26 Sep 09 12:07pm

cupcake91

Member since Sat 26 Sep 09

tomato chutney

hi just made some tomato chutney. followed the recipe absolutely, tastes great but just wouldn't thicken!! more the consistency of ketchup than chutney! i have jarred it but is there anything i can do at this stage to thicken it??
thanks  help

Likes (0)

#2 Sat 26 Sep 09 12:11pm

Torilla

Forum champ
Occupation Student , Hobby Chef
From Bavaria, South Germany
Member since Sat 30 Jun 07

Re: tomato chutney

After the jars are sealed you can't do anything any more unless you break them up and put the chutney back into a pot. I wouldn't recommend this. The only thing you can do is hoping that it will set in the jars a little more as tomatoes got a low content of gelling agents.

Next time you make your chutney just let it on the hob for a longer time until it has reached the desired consitency.

Likes (0)

#3 Sat 26 Sep 09 1:41pm

mincepie

Forum champ
From uk
Member since Tue 07 Oct 08

Welcome cupcake.
I dont see a problem with recooking it.
When making your chutney, cook till the spoon leaves a gap in the bottom of the pan when you scrape the bottom and the 2 sides dont fill up too quickly. Does this make sense? Parting the sea comes to mind lol
Do make sure if using lids, they have the coating to stop the vinegar eating into the metal.

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 26 Sep 09 2:34pm

Torilla

Forum champ
Occupation Student , Hobby Chef
From Bavaria, South Germany
Member since Sat 30 Jun 07

If you break up your jars and reheat it make sure you sterilize them double this time. Otherwise it's very likely that your chutney will go inedible.

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 27 Sep 09 4:10am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Hi capcake,
I had the same problem with my marmalade. My solution has been to fix it one jar at a time. I get a fresh new sterilised jar. I empty the unthickened jar contents into a big bowl. I microwave it til it is the right consistency (I was hamfisted with the first one and turned it to concrete, but all is well now! it takes about 4 minutes a jar, the entire contents are boiling, and it is then the perfect consistency). I then scrape it into the fresh jar.
I can leave the next one to do when I am ready to use it, or whenever I have the opportunity, so it is no big deal. smile

Edit; I take it back, now the marmalade I did that to is crystallising. I will stick to runny marmalade from here on!

Last edited by JoyYamDaisy (Sat 03 Oct 09 6:24am)

Likes (0)