forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 05 Nov 09 2:02pm

NatGreeneVeg

From Springfield, MO - USA
Member since Mon 20 Jul 09

Great Program on PBS

In case anyone missed the PBS special The Botany of Desire which premiered Wednesday, October 28, 2009, you can still watch the entire program online. It's incredible. Don't know if it's playing in the UK.

BOTANY OF DESIRE is a documentary which tells the utterly original story of everyday plants and the way they have domesticated humankind. An interpretation of the relationship between plants and people. This two-hour documentary explores plant evolution and takes viewers from the potato fields of Peru and Idaho, the apple forests of Kazakhstan, and the tulip markets of Amsterdam.

View online in it's entirety: here

This is another related program by the same presenter on LINK TV (a cable access channel in the US) which is timely:

Deep Agriculture
Traditional methods of agriculture in most developed nations have long ignored environmental concerns. Factors such as soil erosion, water shortage and the impact of chemicals on bio-systems have been overlooked in favour of massive crop yields and cheaper food. But what impact does this have on our health and our environment?

View online in it's entirety: here

Likes (0)

#2 Tue 12 Jan 10 5:34am

dmfootycoach

From Ontario, Canada
Member since Mon 11 Jan 10

Re: Great Program on PBS

PBS is a great channel for so much you folks in the US have a blessing with it. I became a heavy gardener because of Crocketts Victory Garden something I watched as a kid. I even have the book which I refer to as my growing bible. I'll defintely look into it!

Likes (0)