forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 23 Nov 09 1:25pm

jerkseasoning

Member since Thu 05 Nov 09

marinade for unsmoked gammon

I have just purchased an unsmoked gammon approx  4 1/2 lbs, and will be cooking it for Chrtistmas, and wondered if there was a nice marinade I could use to make it special, I have tried Ham in Coca Cola, and that was very nice, but would like a couple of options, thanks.

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 23 Nov 09 3:20pm

Earthmum

Forum champ
Occupation HR / mum / jack of all trades
From England
Member since Mon 21 Sep 09

Re: marinade for unsmoked gammon

I always boil my ham adding herbs, onion, carrot etc so you get a good stock ( to this I then add split dried peas and extra veg to make a soup ).  For the last hour lift out and remove the rind, score the fat into diamonds - and rub in a mix of whole grain mustard, brown sugar and perhaps a little honey, then push cloves into the diamonds I only scatter a few as they can be over powering.  Then place in roasting pan with about 1" of cider and perhaps a chopped apple,  roast for about an hour, basting as needed, When cooked I always add the juices to the soup ( well it is christmas !!).

Gem

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 23 Nov 09 9:18pm

jerkseasoning

Earthmum wrote:

I always boil my ham adding herbs, onion, carrot etc so you get a good stock ( to this I then add split dried peas and extra veg to make a soup ).  For the last hour lift out and remove the rind, score the fat into diamonds - and rub in a mix of whole grain mustard, brown sugar and perhaps a little honey, then push cloves into the diamonds I only scatter a few as they can be over powering.  Then place in roasting pan with about 1" of cider and perhaps a chopped apple,  roast for about an hour, basting as needed, When cooked I always add the juices to the soup ( well it is christmas !!).

Gem

Thankyou for this Gem, this is a definite possibility, we love dried pulses, and I often make soup, the thing that could clinch it is the cloves, use the powdered kind a lot as I love the taste. 
I had a good buy with this huge piece of gammon in Sainsburys today, as they were selling off just a few they had for half price.
I would have prefered smoked gammon, but could not resist   2.66 kilos  for ten quid! big_smile

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 23 Nov 09 10:44pm

Mr Grumpy

Forum champ
Occupation Sh*t Finder
From Coventry
Member since Sat 22 Dec 07

Something cider or cider vinegar based sounds like a possibility.  Cloves, allspice and cinnamon could feature somewhere too perhaps.

Likes (0)

#5 Tue 24 Nov 09 9:44am

jerkseasoning

Mr Grumpy wrote:

Something cider or cider vinegar based sounds like a possibility.  Cloves, allspice and cinnamon could feature somewhere too perhaps.

Thankyou Mr Grumpy, this is another lovely recipe to consider, cheers!

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 27 Nov 09 6:56am

VENUS

Forum champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Marinated Gammon with Apple and Cinnamon Sauce

2 gammon steaks, fat removed
300ml (1/2pint) fresh apple juice
2 teaspoons soft brown sugar
1 tablespoon freshly chopped mixed herbs
1 cinnamon stick
2 pieces orange peel
1 tablespoon cornflower
2 tablespoons fromage frais

Place the gammon steaks in a shallow dish. In a bowl, mix together the apple juice, sugar and herbs. Pour over the gammon.

Add the cinnamon stick and orange peel and turn the steaks over to coat all sides. Cover and allow to marinade for 20-30 minutes in the refrigerator.

Pre-heat the grill until the indicator light goes out. Remove the gammon steaks from the marinade and cook for 8-10 minutes. Remove and keep warm.

Pour the marinade into a small pan, including the cinnamon and orange and cook on high heat for 4-5 minutes. Slake the cornflower with a little cold water and add to the sauce, stirring well until the sauce thickens. Allow to cool slightly, then stir in the fromage frais.

Place the gammon on a serving dish and pour the sauce over. Serve with potatoes and a selection of steamed fresh seasonal vegetables.

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 27 Nov 09 7:01am

jerkseasoning

Thanks again Venus, you're doing well! big_smile  thumbsup

Likes (0)