Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 11 Dec 09 9:04pm

jutta73

Forum champ
Occupation Cook, cleaner, nanny, personal assistant, shopper - all without pay!
From Melbourne, Australia
Member since Mon 20 Apr 09

Can I freeze sour dough bread?

I have bought an organic loaf of sour dough bread today but do not think I can eat it quick enough.

How long does sour dough bread last?
How should I store it? It has come in a brown paper bag.
Can I freeze a portion of it?

Any advice would be much appreciated.  help

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 11 Dec 09 10:26pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Re: Can I freeze sour dough bread?

I find it freezes well. I have sliced it and then frozen it so I can just get a bit out at a time. I think it does better than non sour dough frozen.
I have read that Bread stales most quickly at around 0C so it is best to freeze and then thaw in the oven, than keep in the fridge.
Mind you, it probably wouldn't get mouldy as quickly in your home as in my Summer kitchen! smile

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 11 Dec 09 11:43pm

jutta73

Forum champ

Thanks JoyYamDaisy! I will go and slice it and pop some in the freezer. And then I am off to bed.  big_smile

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 12 Dec 09 9:56am

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

I buy the Italian sourdough at Aldi all the time & keep it in the freezer - we eat it toasted a lot but also just let it defrost at room temp - keep well covered while defrosted - a tea towel is good.

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 12 Dec 09 10:17am

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Wrap it really well prior to freezing. If you want to freeze a whole loaf to use as a whole loaf, do as Joy says and do it in the oven. I toss mine onto a pre-heated pizza stone-failing that- use a pre-heated cast iron pan.

If just wanting to do as Frizz suggests (a few slices at a time), pre-slice prior freezing, wrap well and remove as many slices as required prior to use.

Happy sour-doughing smile

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)

#6 Sat 12 Dec 09 11:50am

jutta73

Forum champ

Thank you everyone. We are currently eating morning tea of sour dough toast. Myself and Miss 1 had butter on ours, and Miss 3, the fussy, has happily devoured hers with peanut butter.

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 13 Dec 09 12:59pm

frizz1974

Forum super champ
Occupation Mother of 2 working more than full time
From Wallerawang, Oz
Member since Wed 29 Jun 05

We had sour dough rolls for our picnic tonight - I cut a bit off the top, scraped out some of the crumb & stuffed chopped fresh tomato, sundried tomato, blue cheese, olives & parsley dressed with evoo, pepper & vinegar in there before putting the lid back on & wrapping tightly in foil.

yummy

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 13 Dec 09 1:59pm

Maree

Forum super champ
From Newcastle, Australia
Member since Sat 10 Mar 07

Hi Frizz and all wave

Frizz, what you did for your picnic tonight (oooops, I haven't gotten around to eating- only 11.50pm- very European smile ) , would be called a "Muffeleta" in New Orleans. Like beignets, a New Orleans' specialty.

Though, the really pedantic would wrap the loaf in foil, tie with string/twine and then weigh down with bricks/tinned food to make sure the flavours ooze out into the bread.

Had the privilege of being a guest lecturer twice in NO ("the big ease"- a "magical" place).

After Katrina, I worked for six weeks as an American Red Cross volunteer in my capacity as (in a previous life) a Registered Nurse; Midwife and Maternal-Child Health/Mothercraft nurse.

It was truly awful (if those who saw Jamie's America can believe what it is like now), then, on the ground, at the time ...

"Cook with love and laughter ..."
    Likes (0)