Jamie Oliver

forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 07 Jan 10 5:21pm

Oatcake

Member since Thu 26 Nov 09

Seville Oranges

Has anyone bought fresh Seville oranges from a UK supermarket - if so which ones have stocked them? When can I expect them to appear, and if not should I just enquire at the green grocers?

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 07 Jan 10 6:05pm

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Re: Seville Oranges

I buy mine from the local market as they deal with wholesale markets, ensuring fresh fruit. I don't trust supermarkets, fruit & veg can be cold-stored for far longer than I would like.

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 08 Jan 10 9:34am

Oatcake

Given they're only available for a couple of months, I doubt the supermarkets have kept them for 11 months!

I know what you mean about storage - I met a woman who's project was to develop a method for storing apples for 9 months in A grade condition. She was successful - I believe the method was totally organic, as she herself was very into ethical veg growth.

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 08 Jan 10 9:40am

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

Oatcake wrote:

Given they're only available for a couple of months, I doubt the supermarkets have kept them for 11 months!

Doubt all you like.............it has been known!
I have a close relative who was for years a regional buyer for Tesco. The things he knew...............!  shocked

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 08 Jan 10 10:03am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Oatcake wrote:

I know what you mean about storage - I met a woman who's project was to develop a method for storing apples for 9 months in A grade condition. She was successful - I believe the method was totally organic, as she herself was very into ethical veg growth.

I have heard about apples that store really well and people being able to keep them like that. There was an L M montgomery book we had (The Story Girl) who lived on a farm with an apple orchard and it talked about all the different varieties and how they treated them (stored, cider, preserved etc)
I can really notice the difference in them in my greengrocers when they have been stored a long time. Although the Pink Ladies are amazing how they stay good!

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 08 Jan 10 10:40am

ACDC

Forum champ
Occupation Bewitched, bothered and bewildered Mother
From Ireland
Member since Tue 19 Aug 08

Watching out for Sevilles here. No sign yet. Local farm shop will Keep some for me. My parents are both avid marmalade eaters (is that correct terminology?) 
Anyway no homemade marmalade in left in the run up to Christmas. Mam made three fruit Marmalade with 2 each of the following, thin-skinned oranges, grapefruit,and lemons. To this she added a bag of cranberries. The bag contained 450g. It was delicious. I have a bag of cranberries in the freezer and will make this at some stage. It tasted so festive, nice and tangy. Smashing on home made soda bread.

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 08 Jan 10 11:23am

Oatcake

Raspberry and Cranberry is a great jam. I save some raspberries in the freezer, but I didn't get any cranberries this year. It make the jam much pinker - which confuses people used to homemade raspberry as it's usually much darker than the synth-a-jam from the shops.

I've sent a product request to Ocado for fresh seville oranges. But given the weather forecast this weekend - I might try and get some today so I have something to do.

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 08 Jan 10 11:32am

DebDiMaggio

Forum champ
Occupation Newbie Mamma
From Italy-UK-Spain
Member since Mon 16 Jun 08

just a small note. You guys do know that the oranges you get are not all from Seville right???

DO expect a shortage and higher price of oranges this year the strong gale force winds and the torrential rain have destroyed acres of groves this last month, and this is harvest time here in Spain.

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 08 Jan 10 11:35am

JulieR4u2

Occupation Stay at home Mum, Retired.
From Townsville, Australia
Member since Mon 09 Nov 09

Gee in all the years I worked in Fresh Produce at all local supermarkets, I can only remember seeing Seville oranges once. However, there is another variety I believe would suit Jam making if you have this variety in England, is the old fashioned Joppa.  They have plenty of pectin filled seeds, which will aide in setting. The JOPPA just as it becomes orange has the same tartness, however, once ripe they are the most beautiful eating orange.  It is because of the seeds though they are not used as a commercial variety. Many Northern Australian backyard with a chookpen will have one growing wildly. That and the Bush Lemon.   I remember my Mum, Nanna and Aunt all having these varieties in the backyard.  They may even be a sport of Valencia.  I reckon all of you overseas need to try the Aussie Bush Lemon but. They are delightful, and edible.

Likes (0)

#10 Fri 08 Jan 10 11:35am

JulieR4u2

Occupation Stay at home Mum, Retired.
From Townsville, Australia
Member since Mon 09 Nov 09

Gee in all the years I worked in Fresh Produce at all local supermarkets, I can only remember seeing Seville oranges once. However, there is another variety I believe would suit Jam making if you have this variety in England, is the old fashioned Joppa.  They have plenty of pectin filled seeds, which will aide in setting. The JOPPA just as it becomes orange has the same tartness, however, once ripe they are the most beautiful eating orange.  It is because of the seeds though they are not used as a commercial variety. Many Northern Australian backyard with a chookpen will have one growing wildly. That and the Bush Lemon.   I remember my Mum, Nanna and Aunt all having these varieties in the backyard.  They may even be a sport of Valencia.  I reckon all of you overseas need to try the Aussie Bush Lemon but. They are delightful, and edible.

Likes (0)