What works for you for a hangover?

What makes you bad makes you better!!  puke  lol

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 18 Jan 10 6:33pm

Tomichenko

From Gloucestershire
Member since Sun 03 Jan 10

Re: What works for you for a hangover?

Personally I think the best things for a hang over is eggy crumpets with sausage, bacon,lashings of brown sauce and a cup of tea for breakfast, then a mighty fine roast with lots of veg to end the day.

I'm really hungry now dribble

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 18 Jan 10 6:33pm

Torilla

Forum champ
Occupation Student , Hobby Chef
From Bavaria, South Germany
Member since Sat 30 Jun 07

young mum wrote:

What makes you bad makes you better!!  puke  lol

Well, that's not really working. At first, the alcohol weakens the pain, but after the effect fades, it's getting worse.

Most important thing is to give your body loads of water and minerals. Drinking sparkling water helps. Also eating some gherkins or pickled onions is good. I assume bacon & eggs contains many minerals, too, so this might be why it.s helping you.

If I have a hard night, I am used to drinking a whole litre of water (or as much of it as I can in that state) right before I go to bed to avoid the next day's hang-over. Always worked so far. But that might also be a bit of a age-thing.

Last edited by Torilla (Mon 18 Jan 10 6:34pm)

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 18 Jan 10 6:37pm

mrpab

Forum champ
Member since Wed 23 Jul 08

I'm with Jamie, lots of eggs, bacon and toast do the trick! How about a cheese & bacon omelette served sandwich-style on toasted rye bread?

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 18 Jan 10 6:38pm

Outtolunch

Occupation Being lazy
From W. Sussex UK
Member since Fri 15 Jan 10

Apart from all the other problems of getting older  hangovers become lethal. Trouble is I still think I'm 25.

The old Prarie Oyster goes some way to help and then plenty of fresh air. A bottle of milk before you start certainly helps but rarely remember to do it  !

Likes (0)

#6 Mon 18 Jan 10 6:41pm

jutta73

Forum champ
Occupation Cook, cleaner, nanny, personal assistant, shopper - all without pay!
From Melbourne, Australia
Member since Mon 20 Apr 09

The first time I ever got completely drunk, I had no hangover, to everyone's surprise. I had vomitted alot and then drank alot of water before crashing in bed still fully clothed and smelling awful. I think the emptying of the stomach and the drinking of the water is what saved me. If I drink, I always follow it with alot of water. So far, worse I have had re afteraffects of a drinking session is a mild headache and tiredness.

Likes (0)

#7 Mon 18 Jan 10 6:44pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

I can't drink water when I'm really hungover.  It makes me feel really sick.  Lukewarm peppermint tea or Dioralyte work, though.  Plenty of sugary tea helps the shakes, and the fat in the milk settles the stomach.  I always crave spicy things, so a really hot tom yum-style soup ticks the rehydration and salt-replenishment boxes. 

Failing that, mine's a Bloody Mary.

Likes (0)

#8 Mon 18 Jan 10 6:49pm

mrpab

Forum champ
Member since Wed 23 Jul 08

I agree, Jutta, drinking lots and lots of water before bed is a good preventative. I don't think the chundering, AKA "praying to the porcelain goddess", AKA "selling the buick" is really necessary, unless it is necessary!

edit: Anna, you have to drink the water B4 you have the hangover!

Last edited by mrpab (Mon 18 Jan 10 6:51pm)

Likes (0)

#9 Mon 18 Jan 10 6:59pm

DebDiMaggio

Forum champ
Occupation Newbie Mamma
From Italy-UK-Spain
Member since Mon 16 Jun 08

mrpab wrote:

I agree, Jutta, drinking lots and lots of water before bed is a good preventative. I don't think the chundering, AKA "praying to the porcelain goddess", AKA "selling the buick" is really necessary, unless it is necessary!

edit: Anna, you have to drink the water B4 you have the hangover!

yep thats me. the night before water helps. we get headaches becasue we dehydrate so water helps, paracetamol and some nice egg on toast.

Likes (0)

#10 Mon 18 Jan 10 7:10pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

I imagine this is why Poutine was invented, but you'll have to ask the Cambodians.

Likes (0)