forum: Food & Drink

#1 Wed 27 Jan 10 3:26pm

Danny

Jamie Oliver Food Foundation
From Jamie's Office
Member since Tue 06 Jul 04

Falafel's for lunch today

Hi everyone,

Yep - I know I am late posting what I made for lunch for everyone but I am only tucking into mine now. I went to the Dentist this morning and had a filling and as I could not feel the side of my mouth I wanted to ensure that I could at least enjoy my lunch which is why it is late in the day. It was felafal's today and I made my own version of tabouleh which consisted of cous cous, Italian parsley, tomatoe and lemon juice (salt and pepper to season). My local shop is run by one of the nicest people in London and he has great produce so I bought some proper Lebanese wraps for the felafal's and some actual felafals as well. I also included some rocket as well and homous.

Tastes pretry good and easy to make. I have made felafel's from scratch before which was a challenge to say the least. A while ago I bought some ready made felafel mixture and baked them instead of deep frying - it was ok but not as good as frying. Has anyone else baked felafel before or made an equivalent for a lunch like this that does not involve frying?

Back to my lunch....

Cheers

Danny

http://www.jamieoliver.com/bloggers/vie … p?id=57594

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 27 Jan 10 3:54pm

CucinaItaliana

Occupation Full time Mum & Wife
From Italy and England
Member since Tue 24 Mar 09

Re: Falafel's for lunch today

Hi Danny!

Your lunch sounds delish - I only had a cheese and green tomato chutney sarnie (mind you it was my own bread & chutney) wink   I have only tried to make falafel twice before and both times they fell apart as they fried    hmm

I must admit I thought they were always fried - do they not get a bit dry if baked?

xx

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 27 Jan 10 4:59pm

Stella Heath

Forum champ
Occupation getting along as best I can
From Burgos, Spain
Member since Mon 27 Oct 08

I don't know if what I made could be considered falafels, but I once had some left-over chick-peas from a "cocido", which I mashed up, added cumin seeds, chopped coriander, a handful of breadcrumbs and an egg to bind them, and then tooks spoonfuls and fried them in very hot oil. I served them with hot ("picante" not "caliente" smile ) tomato sauce.

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 27 Jan 10 11:14pm

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Never baked them before but I really do love 'em.  The mixes are ok, but I really do like to make them from scratch.  You just have to plan ahead.  I always soak the dried chickpeas the night before and then grind them with flour, baking powder and the other flavorings.  I put them in pitas along with humus tomato and a good healthy dollop of harrisa.

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 28 Jan 10 10:46am

Allora Andiamo

Forum champ
Occupation Double Barrel Sheila
From Sauerkraut Country
Member since Mon 06 Oct 08

Danny

you CAN bake them but they won't be quite as good as the fried version ...the texture's just not the same and they taste a bit 'beany' when they've been baked  hmm (that's just my opinion)... the thing is, if you're only gonna be eating them occassionally , i wouldn't worry too much about frying them....you usually cook them in very hot oil which seals the surface quickly so they don't absorb too much fat (about 3g for a large falafel)...soooo, an average portion of 3 falafels, only contains about 9g of fat (most of which is unsaturated and with virtually no cholesterol) which is well within the healthy range for a main meal smile served with a wrap/flatbread and a large portion of salad, it's actually a pretty healthy meal....just go easy on the tahini  wink a couple of tablespoons of that yummy stuff  usually contains more fat than the 3 fried falafels    shocked  ...alternatively, serve it with a yoghurt and tahini sauce.

here's a recipe for falafel > http://www.jamieoliver.com/foodwise/art … hp?id=3304

Allora

p.s if you forget to soak the chickpeas overnight, you can use the quick soak method instead...cook the chickpeas in boiling water (no salt) for 3 minutes, then take off the heat...cover with a lid then leave to soak for 1 hour, drain and rinse them then cover them with fresh water and cook as normal.

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 28 Jan 10 11:08am

Danny

Jamie Oliver Food Foundation
From Jamie's Office
Member since Tue 06 Jul 04

Thanks A

Very good advice - Jamie always says "everything in moderation" so it's not like I eat them every day. Hey - that reminds me - I had one of the best Falafel's of my life in Amsterdam many years ago.........

Dan

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 28 Jan 10 5:09pm

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

You Sir are a very brave man to be feeding falafels to an entire office at once..  whistle  lol   hopefully you didn't have to issue gas masks with afternoon break.

Love falafel and make them from scratch but don't do the dry chickpea route. I prefer using canned instead. .  one 16 oz can equals 1 cup dried

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#8 Thu 28 Jan 10 8:15pm

bcrain

Forum champ
Occupation Duty Free Lancome and Fragrance sales
From Greater Vancouver
Member since Mon 23 Oct 06

I do the same as Ashen... I use the canned ones although I have used dried that had soaked and cooked too. I have made them from scratch and bought a kit too. I always find I use a little more flour in them to bind as they tend to break up on me if I'm not careful. I pan fried mine once and that was better than deep frying for me... maybe I did something wrong along the way but they were very good going down the hatch!

Likes (0)

#9 Thu 28 Jan 10 8:19pm

Alex G

Forum champ
Occupation Student/Commis chef
From Brighton/ Bournemouth
Member since Sat 29 Oct 05

I haven't made falafel in ages (I can barely remember the recipe), but I remember it being very tasty when deep fried. I think I have something to try with the rest of those chickpeas Danny!

Likes (0)

#10 Thu 28 Jan 10 9:43pm

Allora Andiamo

Forum champ
Occupation Double Barrel Sheila
From Sauerkraut Country
Member since Mon 06 Oct 08

Ashen wrote:

Love falafel and make them from scratch but don't do the dry chickpea route. I prefer using canned instead. .  one 16 oz can equals 1 cup dried

ashman....how do you stop the d@mn things disintegrating in the pan ? i tried using canned chickpeas (twice) and both times the mixture literally melted into the oil  , leaving me with a greasy pile of mush angry the second time i made them, i tried to rescue the mixture by adding more chickpea flour but that just made them tough....when i use freshly cooked chickpeas they turn out perfect every time so it can't be me   whistle  mrgreen

tips please !  big_smile

Likes (0)