forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Thu 18 Mar 10 2:44pm

jbmoore

Member since Thu 18 Mar 10

Re: We need a food revolution in Texas!

I am actually a mother and a teacher.  I refuse to eat anything from the cafeteria (and I feel that my district does a good job of trying to educate kids about healthy eating).  School lunches seem to be all carbs/corn products and no substance.  Lots of fresh fruit and vegetables are offered, but kids choose them, and are not required (and often do not) to put even one on the tray.  Most of this food sounds good to the kids, but they do not like it once it is on the tray.  The amount of waste is AMAZING.  My heart breaks that I kick in for a free/reduced lunch program that is supposed to help our children, but is setting them on a path for health problems that can cost them their lives.  It is also heartbreaking that the person who is actively setting in motion a campaign for change that has the ability to be seen by and move the masses into action is coming from someone from outside our country.  Why are we seeing more care and action from others, and why don't we expect more from ourselves?  I cannot thank Jamie enough for caring about ALL children, not just his own corner of the planet!

Likes (0)

#22 Thu 18 Mar 10 8:17pm

StephanieKS

Member since Thu 18 Mar 10

I am a concerned mom living in Temple Texas, which is in the heart of Central Texas between Dallas and San Antonio and an hour away from Austin.  I have many concerns when it comes to our Texas school systems, with the choices given to our children on the cafeteria menus being one of them.  I have two daughters one of which is a Junior in high school and the other in 5th grade elementary school.  So I have watched the cafeteria go from frying all the food to the US Deptment of Agriculture putting in place the FMNV (Foods of Minimal Nutritional Value).  As a parent I had hope for this new program which went in place just in time for my younger daughter to take advantage when she started school and my older daughter to hopefully decide to start buying lunch in the cafeteria.  My older daughter may have in her whole time in school eaten in the cafeteria a total of 5 times, which was in her first years of elementary school.  Each time she would come home saying the food tasted really bad.  So needless to say she has taken her lunch pretty much every day since she has been in school.  Now out of necessity.  We have in the past 6 months found out she has Celiac Disease and of course the school cafeteria is no place for any child that has a food allergy of any type.  With much disapointment my younger daughter will not eat in the cafeteria either.  She may have eaten also a total of 5 times, with the last time being spaghetti with meat sauce.  I remember this because, I happened to be at the school with her during lunch and her complaing she had bitten into something hard like glass that went into her gum.  Well her gum in fact did swell up for about two weeks untill we could get the object out of her gum. 
They do offer fresh fruit as one healthy choice.  But, when you get the fruit and bite into it and it is rotten on the inside, which has happend more than once at more than one school in our district, it makes the children not choose this as an option.  Pre made salads are offered but are kept put away not out on the line for the children to see, they seem to be reserved for the staff because only a certain number are made each day.
The waste...you should see how much of the food is not eaten by the children and thrown in the trash cans.  Talk about throwing money away, our tax dollars.
In my opinoin the FMNV is all about money and the school districts receiving their cut of the money instead of outside vendors.  The food nutrition, and quality has not improved since implementing.  Just lots of rules put in place on when and how FMNV can or can not be served to our children and rules on competing with the school cafeterias with outside food.  Our children need education about food and they need a place to receive this education.  They also need a place to receive a good nurishing meal because for some of the children the breakfast and lunch they receive at school may be the only meals they receive.     
The food the children are served in our cafeterias is all frozen, full of nitrates, preservatives, unapealing to the eye, tasteless and contain foreign objects.  PE/Athletics and Fine Arts time are being slashed by the state, recess is pretty much non existant, homework is piled on so that there is no down time when the children get home.  Obesity, behavior issues in the classroom, what do they expect.

Likes (0)

#23 Sat 20 Mar 10 5:17am

yoursofunny

Member since Sat 20 Mar 10

I live somewhat near Dallas(an hour outside) in a small community.
Over the past few years I have sadly watched our kids school food go from
having fresher options and real cooked meals to ALL pre cooked, frozen, crap that I would not feed to anyone or anything living.
At the same time, I have watched the weight of the kids in my children's classes grow with every passing year.
They now have vending machines throughout the whole school also.
   Whats so sad; is that we are in the middle of a rural farming community. There are LOTS of families with small farms who are very dedicated to producing Naturally grown, chemical free, veggies, fruits, and protein sources. We are ourselves a small farm that grows all Naturally( without chemicals or pesticides ) and we are currently working on our organic certification. I am finishing a greenhouse for year round production of cooking herbs, veggies, and certain fruit that can be container grown.
I would GLADLY GIVE our children's school veggies and such as production permits and have year round Heirloom lettuce; but the mound of paperwork and the permits required( I am not a Government growing facility) to just even GiVE the items to the school is worse that what we are having to do for our organic certification. its insane......

Let me give you a breakfast example:

This one is Really popular(for the school, not the kids).
Corn dogs with pancake syrup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I thought it was a joke; but its not.

And the amount of kids that are not being encouraged by the parents and the community to get out doors and play and exercise(in good weather) gets larger every year......

We spend a larger than average amount of money on our food. I cook meals
from scratch; not the microwave. I want to give my kids the nutritional building blocks and healthy habits that will last them a lifetime.
For some reason; schools just don't want to reflect this.......

For a country that wants to help the world; why cant we help ourselves?

Likes (0)

#24 Sat 20 Mar 10 7:04am

amrit_afarensis

Member since Sat 20 Mar 10

jamie!  you've come at an at the best time.  we in tx are very close to the next gubernatorial election, and our leaders need to be reminded about what's important.  PLEASE come to texas!  while public education (food choices included) is always mentioned in their campaign ads as something they'll fix or improve, it always ends up getting the short end of the deal.  we've got to "put a fire under their asses"!  please help us make them really see how bad things are, so they won't have a choice but to make things right.  thanks!!!

Likes (0)

#25 Sun 21 Mar 10 4:39pm

TiaTina

Member since Sun 21 Mar 10

While I am not a parent, I do have my niece

Likes (0)

#26 Mon 22 Mar 10 5:54am

Chefsville

Member since Thu 26 Mar 09

There is a food revolution already happening in Texas and will make it to your town soon.

Please let me introduce you to 1st Class Kids and its programs called "Chefsville Kids".  Chefsville Kids educates families on healthier eating choices and childhood obesity avoidance. What makes this program unique is that it is not based on a nutritionist or a registered dietition, but through the lens of a chef who loves people and is passionate about food as well.

www.1stClassKids.org

Chef Scott, our co-founder, has the priveledge of working with Sprouts Farmers' Markets, Market Street, NewFlower, and Natural Grocers in Dallas TX/North Texas.

Chef Scott is an educator working in local communities to help families make better choices. We can be contacted at 972/516-0325.

Chef Jamie should be applauded for such efforts. He needs our support, even more importantly, the kids need our support.

San Antonio - don't despair, Chef Scott is willing to bring his Chefsville crew down to meet you.

Likes (0)

#27 Mon 22 Mar 10 5:56am

Chefsville

Member since Thu 26 Mar 09

There is a food revolution already happening in Texas and will make it to your town soon.

Please let me introduce you to 1st Class Kids and its programs called "Chefsville Kids".  Chefsville Kids educates families on healthier eating choices and childhood obesity avoidance. What makes this program unique is that it is not based on a nutritionist or a registered dietition, but through the lens of a chef who loves people and is passionate about food as well.

www.1stClassKids.org

Chef Scott, our co-founder, has the priveledge of working with Sprouts Farmers' Markets, Market Street, NewFlower, and Natural Grocers in Dallas TX/North Texas.

Chef Scott is an educator working in local communities to help families make better choices. We can be contacted at 972/516-0325.

Chef Jamie should be applauded for such efforts. He needs our support, even more importantly, the kids need our support.

San Antonio - don't despair, Chef Scott is willing to bring his Chefsville crew down to meet you.

Likes (0)

#28 Fri 26 Mar 10 10:53pm

SAL75041

Member since Fri 26 Mar 10

I'm all in favor of a Texan food revolution. I think that the answer is in learning how to cook and making it fun. Besides Jamie Oliver, my other favorite chef is Texan, Tim Love. He adds some real surprise ingredients that give his dishes a kick. I was thrilled when I learned that he created a chili recipe just for Save-A-Lot food stores. This is a great place to buy groceries because of the quality and how much you will save. Also Save-A-Lot promotes healthy eating and smarts ways to create budget meals.

In case any of you are able to make it to a Save-A-Lot store today in the Dallas Fort Worth area, here are some details about Tim's cooking demonstration and chili sampling events from 11am-4pm

* 8565 Ferguson, Dallas, 75225

* 1150 W. Kiest Blvd, Suite 201, Dallas 75224

* 3021 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd, Dallas 75215

* 2611 S. Lancaster Road, Dallas 75216

* 1301 N. Collins Suite Suite 301, Arlington 76001

* 3101 East Seminary Drive, Fort Worth 76119

* 4621 E Lancaster, Fort Worth, 76112

* 5519 James Avenue, Fort Worth, 76115

* 3500 Denton Hwy, Haltom City, 76117

* 8636 Camp Bowie Blvd W, Fort Worth, 76116

Tim owns the famed Lonesome Dove Western Bistro in the Ft. Worth Stockyards and has appeared on the Food Network (won Iron Chef America) as well as Bravo TVís Top Chef and Top Chef Masters. He is at the Save-A-Lot in Garland (219 W. Kingsley Rd) on 3/26 at Noon and giving a cooking demonstration and then serving this chili recipe that he especially created for Save-A-Lot. Come and have fun!

Likes (0)

#29 Sat 27 Mar 10 12:04am

littlelady66

Member since Fri 26 Mar 10

USDA as you know stands for US Department of AGRICULTURE.
The definition of AGRICULTURE IS:
agriculture n. The science, art, and business of cultivating soil, producing crops, and raising livestock; farming.
If the US government is paying to subsidize farms then why isn't the USDA using the fresh products from the government subsidized farms to feed the children???
We see food pyrimid posters all around the school telling our kids what to eat, but that is not what they are putting out for the kids to eat. It is Hypocritical.
Encouraging healthy eating must start at a young age or the kids will be so accustom to processed food they won't be able to adjust to fresh food.
I have to give the High School in my town credit because they have salad bars and a frozen yogurt machine. They offer fresh fruit for anyone who wants to pick it up as a snack any time of day. And the teachers even allow them to eat in class if it is fresh fruit or raw veggies. But the middle school serves the younger kids 95% starch, fried and processed foods.

Likes (0)

#30 Sat 27 Mar 10 1:39am

Ms.Teacher

Member since Sat 27 Mar 10

Quick and simple:

-San Antonio is the 3rd fattest city

-I am a teacher at an elementary school in a great district.  Those in San Antonio, know which district this is.  I see the students and food first hand

-Public school cafeterias are regulated by FMNV (Food of Minimal Nutritional Value). 

-FMNV tells schools kids cannot share any food, cannot save any left over food.  If they are caught the school is financially punished.

-After school snacks for students provided by school must be given to students when a coupon is purchased.  If student is not present that snack must be thrown away.  EXAMPLE:  There are 10 kids in a choir group after school.  The teacher requests 10 after school snack coupons.  Only 6 show up, the other 4 left over snack must be thrown away.  No one can have it!

- The frozen breakfast sausage is boil in water?!?

- The fish fillet is something to be feared.

- SAN ANTONIO NEEDS FOOD REVOLUTION! 
- THE 4 MAJOR SAN ANTONIO DISTRICTS NEED IT NOW!!

Last edited by Ms.Teacher (Sat 27 Mar 10 1:45am)

Likes (0)