forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#511 Mon 06 Jun 11 1:51am

jannone

Member since Mon 27 Dec 10

Re: Chat about Jamie's Food Revolution and connect with others

Re:  am trying to design a summer camp program for kids at the school, for young kids 9 - 12 ish.

Hi Ang, Let's talk -- I run a family of summer camps in PA, and we've redesigned our foodservice to emphasize local, seasonal, and sustainable foods, scratch cooking, and a diverse, kid-friendly menu, and added a major food education program. Our website is:

arts-summer-camps.com/food

I've also started a site to promote better camp food called:

betterCampFood.org

Would love to coordinate with you and get a contribution from your for the betterCampFood site!

John Jannone
Executive Director, The Ballibay Camps
john.jannone [at] ballibayCamps.com

Likes (0)

#512 Mon 06 Jun 11 2:25am

littlelou

Occupation Cake decorator..+ full time mummy
From sydney, australia
Member since Thu 13 Jan 11

jamie's food revolution... watching this show every week just blows me away... the absolute arrogance of these people not wanting jamie in the schools is just unbelievable! the frustration and sadness i feel for these kids is just so overwhelming!! why dont they want better for their next generation?? im a mother of 3 i suppose thats why it bugs me so much, because i certainly wouldnt want my children eating that kind of garbage every day! thank you jamie oliver for not being afraid to stand up to these people i really feel that you are making a huge difference, not just to the people of america, but to all of us who watch your show..

Likes (0)

#513 Tue 07 Jun 11 8:42am

miagair

Member since Fri 27 May 11

its all because of money. on the LAUSD menu they quote "we aim to provide healthy meals the the kids will eat" these children have no education in healthy food, and they see their parents eating rubbish, so why shouldn't they eat rubbish too? it is easier to give these kids cheap rubbish than it is to fight against changing their school deit, home dieit, food education, cooking skills, etc etc etc. for example, you have a group of people who all love coffee. they have no idea that it is packed with chemicals and rubbish, they like it and its cheap, so why would they agree to change that if someone comes in telling them how bad it is, giving them a healthier option that cost a bit more. which one will they chose? it's sickening to think that these people are taking the easy route when peoples lives and health are on the line. but the astonishing thing is that its not the easy route, because after feeding them rubbish throughtout their childhood, they are cost the american tax payers millions and nillions in health related illnesses. all because we as a race genrally don't look at the big picture, we see the cheap crap food against the healthy more benifiting food and we make a quick decision, because its easy, its simple and it has a lot less short term financial problems than healthy food does.
ever since i have joined this site i have been saying the same thing. how much do you think good health and wellbeing is worth. personally i think priceless, and as america is this great big leading demoocracy then surely they should be giving jamie, and the public a chance to decide what is happening with their country. we are not playing a game here, its not a 2 people battle between the LAUSD and jamie, its thousands of peoples health!

Likes (0)

#514 Wed 08 Jun 11 11:34am

jensjollema

Member since Wed 07 Oct 09

Thought the show was excellent, very emotional! Can't understand those councillers thought... as much as the junk food is bad, but I wonder did it go to the homeless people, as some food is better than none?!

Likes (0)

#515 Wed 08 Jun 11 11:44am

latinahoney

Member since Thu 09 Nov 06

Where do i sign up? How do i get involved? question  question  question  question

Likes (0)

#516 Wed 08 Jun 11 12:43pm

emmaboffo

Member since Wed 08 Jun 11

I just wanted to say that I am LOVING Jamie's Food Revolution!

As a personal trainer and nutrition coach I too share the same passion and drive as Jamie in getting as many people as I can healthier by eating REAL food!

I admire Jamie so much as he is in such a position to really make a difference and has a fantastic way of explaining the reality of how things really are.

When he cries through frustration and wanting to help people I do too! I feel very strongly about the rubbish food there is in this world and that's what drives my passion to help people by trying to wake them up to it too.

So keep going Jamie, you are a legend!

Emma Boffo

big_smile

Likes (0)

#517 Wed 08 Jun 11 2:31pm

Massive fan of Jamie Oliver and his new project!
However, slightly concerned to see a 'years worth' of wasted food in someone house to make a point - where does this food go....?!

Likes (0)

#518 Thu 09 Jun 11 2:19pm

Steph100

From Deal, Kent
Member since Sun 06 Aug 06

When Jamie's School Dinners first aired in 2005 I was a mum with a young son in primary school and I had been talking to other mums about the poor quality of school lunches and how we could do something about it, without much success. But when Jamie exposed the whole issue people started to listen and take an interest.

Fast forward 6 years and now we have a school meals service that uses fresh locally sourced produce, buys from local independent suppliers and gives our children freshly prepared meals with high quality ingredients prepared by trained and qualified cooks. We do this in 21 schools - soon to be 24 - and best of all our company is owned by those schools. So we have taken control of this really important service and turned it into something we can be proud of.

Now we are starting to make surpluses on the service, we can invest that back in our community. So our next venture is a community cafe and we have plans to offer delicious, healthy, fresh snacks and meals to local people, OAP lunches, parent and toddler lunches, cookery lessons and more.

Jame inspired us and we would like to inspire other communities - in the UK and across the world - to take control of their school meals service and turn it into a real benefit for their community. It can be done - we're the living proof! Happy to offer support and advice...

www.wholeschoolmeals.co.uk

Likes (0)

#519 Fri 10 Jun 11 2:48am

Chulo

Hello,

Im from LA and love what Jamies doin. I know hes workin in LA with the school system lunch program but im wonderin if he plans or would like to partner up with another organization that has been launching a food revolution for South Central families to gain access to healthy affordable fresh organic produce where only liquor stores and fast food are king. The SOUTH CENTRAL FARMERS (SCF) have been doin their thing for over 16years... they had a plot of land that they lost, however still found a way to keep committed to the community goal. The Academy Award nominated film THE GARDEN covered their struggle. They are now on their 5th year anniversary after loosing the community farm, but are celebrating 5years of resistance and commitment to still bringing in the food and recovering the land. I would love to see Jamie partner up with the South Central Farmers to get healthy food into LAUSD and open it up to the community in the hood to get in the mix.  Plus they (SCF) are having an event this Saturday (4pm-9pm) in LA at the original farm @  Martin Luther King Jr. and Long BEach ave... be so nice to see Jamie Oliver and all the Food Revolution supporters out there. They are doin their thing to get the farm back for all of LA to enjoy and benefit, with the important fact that the local community badly needs and deserves this healthy open green space that will educate and offer food for the community.

Google up the South Central Farmers for more info on their webpage

Thanks
Jose

Likes (0)

#520 Fri 10 Jun 11 4:01am

SonomaEddie

Forum super champ
Occupation Chief cook and bottle washer
From Northern California
Member since Sat 10 Feb 07

Thanks, Jose.  I have a friend who was trying to get the same thing going in Oakland.  Lots of luck.  It's really needed.

Likes (0)