Jamie Oliver

forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#71 Fri 26 Mar 10 3:53pm

NickelMan

Occupation Writer, consultant, pain in the butt.
From Benicia, California, USA
Member since Mon 22 Mar 10

Re: Chat about Jamie's Food Revolution and connect with others

Nice discussion on Larry King the other evening! I really like that Jamie realized he had to make a pitch for money to fund any solution. My idea for a Nickel-a-Meal Campaign, where an extra nickel is collected with each food purchase at fast food outlets and restaurants, and then electronically transfered to local food empowerment projects is feasible -- and something that smart food business people can use to their advantages as well. InterWeb search for Nickels Against Obesity to see some ideas. Thanks Jamie. I'd love if we could all help fund your revolution!

Likes (0)

#72 Fri 26 Mar 10 3:57pm

StacyConaway

Member since Fri 26 Mar 10

VIVA LA REVOLUTION!

Little by little, I am hopeful that America is waking up. We home school our two boys here in Katy, Texas and we have recently been getting very mindful about our food, and gaining a deep appreciation for how important this issue is.

When people start demanding better food and voting at the grocery store checkout, things will improve. Anything with High Fructose Corn Syrup as an ingredient in now banned from our grocery cart. That's a good starting place.

Thank you Jamie, and everyone else who is joining this cause to give all children what they deserve from us: our very best.

Likes (0)

#73 Fri 26 Mar 10 7:09pm

ohyeahjuiceplus

THANK YOU!!! FINALLY!!!! Someone who wants to change they way Americans eat! I hope everyone in America watches this show and learns from it! When I watched the show I thought everyone one would be excited and willing to help but it looks like its pretty rough out there for a guy trying to save lives! I wont go on because it could get ugly but good luck on your travels and I hope you convince many people to eating healthier. Cheers! I think thats what they say!

Likes (0)

#74 Fri 26 Mar 10 7:59pm

Amy'sblog

Hi Danny! Thanks again for your email and for encouraging me to check out the forums and blogs here. I'm really excited for the show premiere tonight. I just cooked recipe #8 as I cook my way through Jamie's book. All of my blog followers seem to be really liking it and I'm learning a lot.

Likes (0)

#75 Fri 26 Mar 10 8:23pm

euph

Hi Danny, Jamie,
I'd love to send an encouraging note to Stacy Edwards. Is there anyway I can find her email address somehow? It's pretty courageous allowing ABC and CNN and I'm sure local reporters into her life. I'd love to just thank her for her vulnerability and the testimony of their family, which I believe will change the landscape of this country. She and her family are real change agents in that sense. Any way you could send me her email or something? Don't want to violate privacy any further but perhaps it might encourage her.
Thanks!
euph

Likes (0)

#76 Fri 26 Mar 10 10:53pm

ruger

Thanks so much Jamie Oliver!!! I did not know how unhealthy our childrens lunchs were until my kids were diag. with type 1 diabetes. Yes I said type 1 not type 2 the two diseases are very different.  Type 1 diabetes can not be stopped the body stops producing insulin. We need insulin to process the food we eat. Anyway with type 1 diabetes you have to count carbohydrates.  When I found out the average school meal has anywhere from 60-110 carbs per meal I was in shock.  One brownie has 45 carbs. it is so sad and most parents do not have the time to find out this info even thought it is available on most school district web sites.  It is taken for granted that when we were in school most meals were made from scratch.  Now every meal is frozen and so processed it sometimes doesn't even taste like real food.  Thank you so much for bringing this to everyones attention.  I think we all need this wake up call. This is why we have not only obesity but so many health issues at the schools.

Likes (0)

#77 Sat 27 Mar 10 12:09am

littlelady66

USDA as you know stands for US Department of AGRICULTURE.
The definition of AGRICULTURE IS:
agriculture n. The science, art, and business of cultivating soil, producing crops, and raising livestock; farming.
If the US government is paying to subsidize farms then why isn't the USDA using the fresh products from the government subsidized farms to feed the children???
We see food pyrimid posters all around the school telling our kids what to eat, but that is not what they are putting out for the kids to eat. It is Hypocritical.
Encouraging healthy eating must start at a young age or the kids will be so accustom to processed food they won't be able to adjust to fresh food.
I have to give the High School in my town credit because they have salad bars and a frozen yogurt machine. They offer fresh fruit for anyone who wants to pick it up as a snack any time of day. And the teachers even allow them to eat in class if it is fresh fruit or raw veggies. But the middle school serves the younger kids 95% starch, fried and processed foods.

Likes (0)

#78 Sat 27 Mar 10 1:48am

skupe

Member since Sat 27 Mar 10

Jamie should also connect with Alice Waters of Chez Panisse Restaurant in Berkeley, CA.  Alice did a similar thing in the Berkeley School District.  She had wonderful results.

I think you are brilliant and hope you will continue doing this throughout this country and other countries.

Likes (0)

#79 Sat 27 Mar 10 2:07am

narod-sobe

Greetings Danny and others! I was so excited to hear that Jamie was honored with the TED prize and watched the speech--I follow @jamie_oliver on twitter so was thrilled to hear about the TED prize. Huzzah to you (all)!

I'd like to share a school and a model that is doing the right thing. Community Montessori School in Georgetown, Texas (yes, Texas!). It has a little flock of chickens that roam and live free...it is loved by parents who have diverse interests and careers...children of many dialects and nationalities...there is a nutritional policy that is enforced...and families are encouraged and supported to bring community meals that are nutritionally appropriate and community friendly. Children prepare biscuits as early as 18 mos...each day. My child was making biscuits every day when she was 1 1/2 and now at 5 makes banana bread every day.

Check them out at community-montessori.org. I would love to post photos but cannot through this site--it is a wonderful school and I hope it, even as a nonprofit, can let everyone know that it is possible to make positive change to benefit children and families. Because it is a nonprofit, resources are strained. Parents chip in (it is *not* a commune--parents work!). We all make it happen because we believe in the same principles that we do here. You can do the same! Join us!

Tamara

Likes (0)

#80 Sat 27 Mar 10 3:51am

sandysays

Hello Jamie
My name is Cassandra and I live in Bentonville, Ar. and I work as a manager in the high school cafe's .  I say bravo to you and what you are trying to accomplish in the school systems. I myself am new to the school foods and the laws such as how many servings of  breads the children get in a ten day period how many servings of veggies and fruits how much meat or meat alternatives. (it's crazy)  I love the ideas you are coming on with and think it would be a great refeshing step for you to walk in our kithcens and show us better ways in which we could serve fresh and healthier foods to our children.  To be able to give a class to the children that want to learn how to prepare healthy dishes .   I love this. I am recording all to so I can enjoy them and I have also let all my employees know about this and told them that they should check it out so we can discuss what we learn from you and see what we might beable to do to change things up  a lil in our own  kitchens here in Arkansas.   Cheers to you my friend, good luck and we look forward to see what the next couple of weeks will bring. thumbsup

Likes (0)