forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#81 Sat 27 Mar 10 4:33am

lake2

Member since Sat 27 Mar 10

Re: Chat about Jamie's Food Revolution and connect with others

Go Jamie Go...Create less of a carbon footprint by eating organic and joining a food Co-op and buying in bulk smile  ...Organic food not only tastes way better , it is more satisfying and loaded with lots more vitamins and minerals , thus you don't have to eat as much...
   I wish Jamie great success with the school endeavor . What is happening now only puts more money in the doctors pockets and as well the whole junk food industry. Even corporate farming operations are in favor of putting this crap in front of our children , it makes them $millions...
   Email our ag secretary Tom Vilsack that we want a change for the good of the people not the corporate farm operations...

Likes (0)

#82 Sat 27 Mar 10 4:54am

brujitablanca

CHEERS Jamie!!!!!!!!!

I just finished watching Food Revolution, I applaud what Jamie is trying to do, but a majority of Americans are too stubborn to change their ways even knowing the risks they put themselves at and those they cook for/feed regularly. I have a friend who relies on fast food, pre packaged/ frozen meals and school cafeterias to sustain her children. Her claim there is no time to cook and it is what they like and convenient so she does and I imagine many others share that sentiment. I sincerely hope he can make the needed changes especially in schools. If we can make changes at the earliest opportunities then hopefully it will set a standard that we can see in generations to come. I also think that cafeteria workers in schools across the nation need to have an overhaul, perhaps setting hiring standards higher including those with culinary/or nutrition training or backgrounds that will genuinely care about what they are serving to children. Currently they only want to comply with the set standards without giving much thought to the children’s health they are SUPPOSE to be supporting. I think children are worth much more than just getting by with the bare minimum standards. As the one worker in the program said “I’m here for the money, if I said anything else I would be lying” she did go on to say “you gotta love kids to do this work” but I feel only as an afterthought. Instead of taking an active part in the experiment to make it a positive experience and learn something, the workers seemed to want to shoot down any new ideas or provide any constructive feedback to Jamie, you could see it written all over their face. I hope in episodes to come he finds people more willing to take his advice and provide feedback to make a change and not challenge his every move. At least one teacher showed an interest and incorporated his advice in her classroom by teaching the kids about vegetables. This was absolutely shocking that these children did not know basic foods other than chicken nuggets. I feel that with some work (a word that probably scares them to death) and more teachers willing to take time like the one I just mentioned, healthy, fresh, tasty meals can be prepared while maintaining a set budget, I am not saying it would happen over night or be easy, I honestly believe with extra effort and the dreaded word, work, it can be accomplished and little by little we could see changes in our societies health. To be fair you cannot put all the blame/responsibilities on the schools, it needs to be in the home also.

Carrieanne Swanson Chicago IL (currently)
Fordham/Thetford UK (formerly)
clap  clap  clap

Likes (0)

#83 Sat 27 Mar 10 5:18am

Nextsubject

Occupation Certified Medical Assistant
From Perryville Missouri
Member since Fri 26 Mar 10

I LOVE what Jamie Oliver is doing!  I really do wish that Obama would put Jamie Oliver in charge of the U.S.D.A.!  If he did, then we wouldn't have the dietary problems that America faces, such as what's going on in our schools, and the corporate farming system that stuffs out meats with antibiotics and hormones and steroids and such.  Just LOOK at the adverage American citizen!  we are on the average morbidly obese!  Thank you so much Mr. Oliver for caring enough to help show us the way so to speak... clap

Likes (0)

#84 Sat 27 Mar 10 6:15am

robert038

Occupation plumber
From lexington ky

jamie 

loved the food revolution show we need you doing this thank you
. im diabetic and this has change me very much ive lost a 150 lbs in year and change my eating habits in the last six months my a1c went from 14% to 6% in five months im tring to change my step sons habits now they love junk food and thats all they want

Likes (0)

#85 Sat 27 Mar 10 6:37am

Gnusefam

Hello Jaime and Danny,
I am in Southern California and just finished watching the first two episodes of Food Revolution and my heart goes out to you Jaime! 
I have worked in an elementary school cafeteria and it just brakes my heart to see how much wasted food goes into the trash bins.  My observations came to only one conclusion, stop letting the children go out and play after eating.  All they want to do is eat a few bites then run outside.  Makes no difference if that is the only meal they have that day, they just want to play and socialize.  I was taught to take what I want but eat what I take and to watch a completely untouched apple or orange dumped into the trash is just criminal.

If parents were aware of the amount of waste and that their children are allowed to just leave to play they might be more helpful and understanding to the situation.  Yes children do need time outside but not at lunch time, that's time for eating and it does not need to be lazy, hurry up and prepare it, junk food (which by the way, no matter what the ladies in the kitchen say, everything I saw them prepare, was JUNK food!)

Wow! I could go on and on but I just hope you keep up the good work because I have no idea why the people in that town are so defensive when all you are trying to do is help them with their health.  I'm sorry but ignorance isn't bliss!  Good food is a must and it just broke my heart to watch that women get so upset when you suggested letting the children use knives and forks.  My children cut their own food when they were 3 years old!

Bless your family as well for allowing you to take time out of their lives to help improve the lives of others!

Good Work!
Patty Gnuse

Likes (0)

#86 Sat 27 Mar 10 7:04am

Radiantliving

Jamie,

My family and I watched the first show of the Food revolution. My husband has a culinary background and we eat great the nights he cooks and Ok when I do (and it is improving).

Mostly I wanted to tell you that today at school my first grader went to pick up her milk. I wanted to see what she would choose so I asked her if she wanted the chocolate milk or the regular milk. She told me she wanted the regular milk since the chocolate was not healthy. She also now wants to go back to taking her own lunch like her sister to be  healthy. My fifth grader has decided that she will make a smoothie for her after school snack. So she makes one for me too and I think she that she gets to contribute to helping in the kitchen.

So I wanted you to know that our family watched the show, discussed it and that  it had a dramatic impact on our girls. They are now making healthier choices.

Both my husband and I feel supported in the education we give our kids about food by you. So for that and many other things Thank you from our family  in Seattle.

Karen

Likes (0)

#87 Sat 27 Mar 10 7:27am

SarahMille

It is a great thing Oliver is doing, its' a great show,  but there have been others for a number of years that have been trying to educate people on the dangers of hydrogenated oils, processed foods, additives and toxins in the food supply. One in particular, Columnist DavidLawrence Dewey has been writing about these things since 1996.  Dewey saved my life, my husband's life and my grandkids lives many years ago when I first read his article.  Dewey keeps it updated also people. Read Dewey's article Hydrogenated Oils-Silent Killers.  Dewey worked ona new documentary that was just released called INGREEDIENTS. That'swith 2 'e's.   Great film, explains everything in simple terms,everyone needs to see this documentary!  Dewey also has an article about the dangers of aspartame, Equal and Splenda, a MUST READ everyone!  As far as the people in Hungtinton, I'm sorry, but anyone that thinks that processed food is good for the human body, especially for children are not too bright, don't those people read!  I tell people if you can't pronounce the ingredients listed on some product,or don't know what it is, don't eat it!   
thumbsup  thumbsup  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#88 Sat 27 Mar 10 7:42am

zekenzoey

Member since Mon 22 Mar 10

Oliver, Oliver
Never before have our fat spawn weighed more
Oliver, Oliver
Won’t serve us lunch from a convenience store
There's a dark plan brewing, a plot twisted and sinister
We’re a fast food nation
and the town won’t support him, only the minister

Oliver, Oliver
What will he do with our potatoes like glue
Can he change our minds, narrow our behinds, Chef Ol-i-ver
yummy

Likes (0)

#89 Sat 27 Mar 10 7:43am

denise56

danny and jaime,
     I am watching Jamie's Food Revolution right now, I am so proud of what Jaime is doing for the future generation.  I got so upset of how much the children did not know about the junk they are eating everyday.  I hope the parents wake up and realize what today's children turning into.  It's very sad, but I commend Jaime for his courage and to stand up to what he believes is right.  I used to teach nutrition to preschoolers and I know that children can be taught to eat right. Keep up the great work and if you ever come to Hawaii let me know if there is anything I can do to help the campaign.

Likes (0)

#90 Sat 27 Mar 10 8:29am

bikechik

To  Jamie
I was greatly moved - and astonished - by the show this evening. I have never lived more than a mile from the ocean, but I was raised by an Iowa farm girl. My mother could not conceive of a house without a vegetable garden or a meal with out fresh fruits and vegetables on the plate. I cannot remember a season in my childhood when I was not out helping her with our garden. In a 15 x 10 ft space in the backyard we grew enough eggplant, artichokes, zucchini, chard, lettuces, tomatoes, etc., to feed the neighborhood. Mom made all those wonderful baked goods that mid-westerners are known for as well but there was always balance and moderation. 

When those kids didn't know where French fries came from I was dumbfounded. When 6 year olds needed help using a knife with a fork tears came to my eyes. I know my mother would have flat out wept. I had no idea!

Thank you Jamie for showing us. Bravo you. America has always been known as the land of bounty. Why doesn't it show up in our school cafeterias!? Leave it to a Brit to sound the alarm. Go, go, go and never stop! Heaven bless your every step.
Cheers,
K   
clap

Likes (0)