forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 05 Mar 10 7:10pm

jannert

Member since Fri 05 Mar 10

My cakes rise too high in the middle - what am I doing wrong?

You expert cake-bakers out there ...I live in Scotland and use an electric fan-assisted oven.  Whenever I bake a sponge-type cake (even using tried and true recipes which I've had success with before moving here) it rises too high in the middle and ends up  looking pointed at the top, like a little volcano.  Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 05 Mar 10 7:20pm

MsK

Forum champ
Occupation Travelling around the globe..
From ..Holland..land of windmills!!
Member since Tue 12 Jan 10

Re: My cakes rise too high in the middle - what am I doing wrong?

There are ''even-bake-strips'' available (just look on google) but cakes always rise a bit more in the middle, a flat cake is impossible! I always turn them around before decorating or cut of the ''vulcano''..

otherwise this might help:

Cook the cake at a lower temp for a longer period of time...you should try it out, i cannot give you exact time/temp. The ''culcano'' part is because of the heath..and the air in the cake wants to get out..
To not have so many air bubbles, just blend at a lower speed for a longer period of time. Just be patient... big_smile

Last edited by MsK (Fri 05 Mar 10 7:22pm)

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 05 Mar 10 7:21pm

MsK

Forum champ

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/produc … evenstrips

here is a link of the bake strips..i don't use them though...to much hassle!

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 05 Mar 10 7:26pm

jannert

Member since Fri 05 Mar 10

Thanks MsK - good advice, especially about cooking at a lower temperature.  I suspect my oven and/or temperature might be the problem, because when I baked the same cakes in other ovens, back in the USA where I'm originally from, this didn't happen.  In fact, I worried more about the cake FALLING than rising too much.  And no, I do not use self-raising flour, so that's not the problem.  I just bake as before, but in a fan-assisted oven.  I'll give your lower temp suggestion a try.  If that doesn't work, I'll hunt up the strips!  Thanks again for your good suggestions.

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 05 Mar 10 7:26pm

chocolatl

Occupation mom and writer, in that order
From Illinois, USA
Member since Thu 22 Jan 09

I have been told that you can accomplish the same thing as the strips by wrapping a damp dish towel around the outside of the pan.  Never tried it, though.

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 05 Mar 10 7:32pm

MsK

Forum champ

Happy to give some advice...I LOVE BAKING!! big_smile

Likes (0)

#7 Fri 05 Mar 10 9:18pm

mincepie

Forum champ
From uk
Member since Tue 07 Oct 08

You dont use self raising flour? Then perhaps you are adding too much baking powder? What ratio of flour to raising agent are you using?
Maybe too smaller tin for the amount of mixture?
Reduce by 10% the recommended temp on your recipe for a fan assisted oven, check oven temp with an oven thermometer for more accuracy, the oven dial is only a guide and rarely spot on. Not a problem when roasting but makes baking a bit hit and miss.

Likes (0)

#8 Sat 06 Mar 10 3:29am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

As the others have said

Sounds like the heat is too high, causing the outside to set before the inside so any further expansion has to happen in the middle.

Usually recipes will recommend dropping the temp by 20C when using fan forced oven.

I find an oven thermometer useful as my oven makes it's own decisions on temperature from day to day.

Likes (0)