forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 10 Mar 10 5:44pm

jen3704

From Wimborne
Member since Wed 11 Feb 09

No butter crumble topping

Hi guys

I have recently had to start a very low fat diet due to health reasons and I have to be extremely strict.  I absolutley love crumble topping on apple crumble, but cant use butter or any other butter substitutes including margarine. 

I want to use oats, and I have read somewhere that you can use honey and raisins to mix with the oats to form a sort of crumble topping, but can I find it anymore, nope.  Thought it was worth a try asking on here  mrgreen

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 10 Mar 10 6:12pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Re: No butter crumble topping

I'd give it a go.  I always use oats, flaked almonds and brown sugar in my crumble topping, so I'd just add honey and see what happens - how bad can it be?

Alternatively, you could puree some dates, they're sometimes used as a butter substitute in vegan baking.

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 10 Mar 10 7:44pm

Chef_Dylan

Member since Wed 17 Feb 10

Jen, look around for a low fat granola recipe and try that out.  Will have more of a crunch than a crumble but still very very tasty.... could try incorporating a little flour into teh mix to try and get something resembling crumbliness, but it would be a trial and error endeavour to find a good balance.

But isnt that half the fun with cooking?

Dylan

http://fromcooktotrainedchefandbeyond.blogspot.com/

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 11 Mar 10 12:27am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

You are basically sprinkling a muesli mix on top and letting it go toasty in the oven. Whatever mix you like will work.
I put in: (most to least) oats, processed bran, flaked almonds sunflower seeds, chopped walnuts, and a few chopped dried apricots, cranberries  and/or sultanas and other chopped dried fruit.
If you aren't using a fat, I wouldn't add any flour.
You don't really even need the honey, although a drizzle on top would be gorgeous.
I hope there is some yoghurt you can have with it!
Cheers!
smile

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 11 Mar 10 7:07am

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

I tried making a crumble topping with Oats once , it was a bit 'cloggy' to say the least and not an experiment that I repeated.

I think if you want to use oats then it would be best to cook them seperatly to the top , like a type of granola , and then assemble the crumble just before you eat it... not quite the same I know but the results might be a bit better.

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 11 Mar 10 7:56am

Allora Andiamo

Forum champ
Occupation Double Barrel Sheila
From Sauerkraut Country
Member since Mon 06 Oct 08

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 11 Mar 10 8:47am

jen3704

From Wimborne
Member since Wed 11 Feb 09

Thanks so much for your help, I really have got some fab ideas now.  Definately going to do the granola idea, then might drizzle with honey to finish it off, sounds really yummy.  The last recipe looks absolutley gorgeous too!  Like you said though, its all about trial and error, and I will definately have fun trying  mrgreen

Thank You!  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 11 Mar 10 10:57am

mincepie

Forum champ
From uk
Member since Tue 07 Oct 08

A few handfulls of "honey nut clusters" breakfast cereal works quite well wink

Likes (0)