Jamie Oliver

forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Mon 22 Mar 10 1:47am

shaddow

Member since Mon 22 Mar 10

Aluminium, plastic, teflon & Tefal is not safe to cook with!

Hi. As a fan of Jamie Oliver I was very dissapointed to learn that Jamie endorses & has cook ware lines with Tefal products, especially as Jamie encourges us to use organic grown food produce. Tefal or Teflon is not a safe material to cook with at high temperatures. The surface scratches & wares very easily even with care used. Scratches increases the amount of toxins released into the air & food when cooking. It has been known to kill birds that are fed food cooked on Tefal even when cooked at low temperatures. Birds kept in the same room have been known to die when the product is accidently burnt. People have reported intense flu like systoms also. Tefal is well known as a CARCINOGENIC. As soon as the surface begins to deteriorate you have to buy new Tefal products. You would think that for the price you would get a better quality product. Many people are not happy with these products. There are warnings all over the internet about these products being dangerous! I use stainless steel for all my cooking including a stainless steel kettle rather than a plastic one made in China. What toxins are being emitted when you boil water in plastic? Toxic ones that is for sure! evil

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 24 Mar 10 8:27am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia
Member since Tue 22 Jun 04

Re: Aluminium, plastic, teflon & Tefal is not safe to cook with!

No none of that is correct.

Aluminium is safe, it does not cause dementia.  As per the associations that deal with it http://www.alzheimers.org.au/upload/US5June08.pdf (for more info about dementia http://www.alzheimers.org.au/content.cfm?infopageid=680)

Teflon, the non-stick surface in non-stick cookware (aka PTFE) is fine. It is very inert, if it scratches off it passes right through you. If you overheat those pans they can release some vapour which may result in some people experiencing some respiratory issues and it may harm any live birds you keep in the kitchen (to me that's just a food safety hazard anyway) but in the instructions for those pans it specifically states you should not overheat an empty pan (as it does for most cookware) - I think it's a greater safety risk to walk out of the room when a pan is on the heat due to fire than any other hazard. It does not give you cancer; and remember birds are tiny compared to a person and very sensitive to airborn pollution (this is why they were used in mines) - speaking of air borne pollution; your air freshner is probably worse than an overheated pan.

Plastics. Yes, there are some additives (like stabilisers and plasticisers) in plastics that can leach out (usually under heat and in the presence of fats and oils) BUT these are not used in food grade plastics. There has been a new one come up as a potential issue but it is still under test in some countries, it's bisphenol-A. It's been banned in Canada. It's usually found in polycarbonates (those marked with the 3 or 7 recylcing symbol). The lesson is to buy food grade plastics and avoid poly carbonates if you want to wait and see what the outcome of the bisphenol-A research is. This is the current state of affairs on it in Australia - http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/science … od4701.cfm you will note their recommendations around the use of babies bottles (where the big scare from bisphenol-A started) are mainly about making sure things are clean and won't burn the baby.

A more dangerous cooking material is copper. Copper pans look great but use them with acidic foods and you can very easily get copper into the food and if you have too much copper that is bad.

What stainless steel do you use? Is it one that's high in chromium; hang on isn't that toxic?
It's actually not a problem but if you are going to get up in arms about something then make sure it's actually a real risk not just a perceived one. www.snopes.com is a handy site for checking out urban myths like these. Warnings "all over the internet" are mainly BS.

One real household-type chemical hazard you might want to think about is petrol in your car. It's actually very bad and really can cause cancer. Fortunately here they are bringing out new nozzles in a year of so to suck the fumes away so people aren't breathing in dangerous fumes when they are fueling their cars. Can't happen sooner for me.

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 24 Mar 10 9:38am

jaseelnino

Forum champ
Occupation House hubby and Taxi driver
From Clondalkin, Dublin, Ireland
Member since Tue 18 Dec 07

I have a Tefal wok and frying pan about 6 years, I use them all the time and there's not a scratch on either of them. I also have a Tefal griddle pan about 3 or 4 years and there's not a scratch on that either so I've no problem with Tefal. Infact, I wouldn't buy any other type of pan in their price range.

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 19 Apr 10 10:44am

TSR

From Serbia
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

I can't understand the concept of a teflon/tefal wok. Woks are made of cast iron, cince they need to get screaming hot. At that kind of temperature, teflon will emit gases, even if it isn't scratched.

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 19 Apr 10 1:18pm

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

TSR wrote:

I can't understand the concept of a teflon/tefal wok. Woks are made of cast iron, cince they need to get screaming hot. At that kind of temperature, teflon will emit gases, even if it isn't scratched.

Teflon will probably emit gases above 220C or 250C (whichever the package says it wil tolerate to) which is **** hot. But they are only likely to affect any household birds or people with respiratory problems (if you don't have an extraction fan). You don't need to get that hot to do a decent stirfry. Past about 230C you are hitting the smoke point of most of the oils (http://www.cookingforengineers.com/arti … rious-Fats) used for stirfrying and you are probably going to start breaking down the oil or setting it alight both of which are more hazardous. So regardless of the pan you use, if you are up at those temperatures then you aren't going to be cooking a stirfry, you're more likely to be burning your kitchen down.

Some interesting articles about heat transfer
http://www.cookingforengineers.com/arti … nd-Cooking
http://www.cookingforengineers.com/arti … ning-Foods
http://www.cookingforengineers.com/arti … rious-Fats

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 21 Oct 10 3:21am

Rachelcooper

From Australia
Member since Thu 14 Oct 10

I would prefer to stay away from as many chemicals as i can....

""and remember birds are tiny compared to a person and very sensitive to airborn pollution (this is why they were used in mines)"".....

If chemicals can kill birds, then they must also be bad for humans, no matter what the intake size.

I would rather a non stick pan that has NO PTFE and PFOA chemicals.  I've heard that there are cookware products around which don't have PTFE or PFOA and are not copper.... but i can't remember the name of them??

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 21 Oct 10 5:33am

TerryKay

Forum champ
Occupation Beer Reviewer, Freelance Writer and Pole Dancer at Peppermint Hippo.
From London
Member since Sun 06 Dec 09

Didn't we have this out a few months ago?
I say before having a knee jerk reaction to sensationalist stories based on press sales, check out the independent stats. If we believe all the scare mongering we'd never eat anything, never drink anything, never use cooking utensils etc, hell we wouldn't even breathe. You find many of the same people running around the kitchen like headless chickens in a rush to throw out all their cookware, are quite happy smoking 20 a day. I wish the same energy was put into defeating the evil stinking cancer sticks that are cigarettes.

Brews views, beer reviews, and booze news. Choose YouTube's Beer Goggles Reviews
    Likes (0)

#8 Thu 21 Oct 10 5:54am

Poor Old Al

From Melbourne, Australia
Member since Sun 25 Jun 06

The literature reaches no conclusion, either way. There is a significant difference between a cause and a contributing factor. There is a strong body of evidence against ther use of teflon, most specifically PFOA.
For or against, J gets paid to endorse. I do things for my money I don't always agree with, as does everyone here. Accept that there is often a difference between practice and preaching where money is concerned.

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 22 Oct 10 1:36am

Rachelcooper

From Australia
Member since Thu 14 Oct 10

All I meant was that there is a choice between non stick pans with PFOA and PTFE, and non stick pans without PTFE and PFOA... so I know what choice I would make.

I brought up the old blog, instead of starting a new thread.

Likes (0)

#10 Fri 22 Oct 10 10:24am

The White Rabbit

Forum super champ
From Sydney, Australia

Rachelcooper wrote:

If chemicals can kill birds, then they must also be bad for humans, no matter what the intake size.

Toxicology is not that simple

Likes (0)