forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#31 Thu 25 Mar 10 7:56pm

bmurf

Member since Thu 25 Mar 10

Re: Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution

Hey Jaime - I don't even watch TV much any more with my schedule and all the bad news and worthless reality shows but if there's one topic I've been passionate about since I was a teenager, it's health and nutrition. I have a HUGE sweet tooth so I have my share of sweets and treats but my life is built on general good nutrition. No soda, avoid hydrogenated oils like they're poison, rarely eat fried foods, push away things with more chemicals than they have a right to! I can't believe these food companies put the filth they do in their products. Thank God for Whole Foods and Mothers Markets....Trader Joe's, your excused because you just sell some cool new products but they still have crap ingredients.

I was so thrilled to see the premiere of your show with those lunch ladies. Darn cable box only recorded the first hour so I missed the second hour but I was hatin' those lunch ladies right along with you, despising them for feeding the children of America such crap and chemicals. I can't believe this whole nutrition checklist the schools are given - I'd like to slap them up side the head for such ignorance. Boneheads! Perhaps ignorance, perhaps a way to get people more sick to spend more money on drugs....it all comes down to greed and control here in the land of the.....the....uh,  free? It's such a shame it took a man overseas to come over here and wake America up. But I'm glad you did.

You hang in there Jamie - don't give up on this - it takes one man to make a difference. Our government is full of strongholds, regulations, guidelines, conspiracies and something else I can't mention but it rhymes with grit. Stick it to the man (and hopefully it will be something healthy!)   smile

Likes (0)

#32 Thu 25 Mar 10 8:30pm

lhstrauss

My child's school (Malcolm Price Lab School in Cedar Falls, Iowa) got funding to start a pilot program called "The Grassroots Cafe".  The school try to get as much food and dairy as the can from local farmers and to make food from scratch.

They also have been reducing waste by going back to non-disposable trays and having the garbage separated into compostable and non-compostable.  The compostable goes into the school's compost pile which they plan to use it in a vegetable garden on the school's grounds.

I am very happy that they have moved in this direction for the school meals.

Likes (0)

#33 Thu 25 Mar 10 9:16pm

WeCareToo

I have watched Jamie's programs beginning with The Naked Chef and always thought there was something special about him.

It wasn't until I watched his speech on TED that I became aware of the Food Revolution.  I think what he is trying to do is BRILLIANT!

I do not have any children but this country needs to start somehwere.  I am not suprised that children can not distinguish between a tomato and a potato.  I see so many adults choosing to eat the same garbage the children are eating.

I hope this country and it's politicians support Jamie's efforts, though he will meet resistance. 

Jamie-  I support you!

Likes (0)

#34 Sat 27 Mar 10 3:47am

seak87

Member since Sat 27 Mar 10

I completely respect the effort that has been put into this project. I agree that not everyone in this town should be stereotyped as "fat" or "obese" but, regardless of that, I think it is important to educate society as a whole about the quality of public school lunches and the effects of fast food and junk food on people in general. Though I'm only a 17 year old girl, I've come to understand the importance of nutrition and have even seen an endocrinologist and a nutritionist to guarantee that my food habits won't hinder my growth/development or my life long-term. As an athlete, I also think food is important to provide energy and prevent sickness (i.e. vomiting or, in severe cases, heart problems) during sports participation. Additionally, I think parents who are concerned about what their children are consuming in school lunches should contemplate making lunches for them. As a high school student, I am disgusted by the food offered at my school and I (as well as all of my friends) bring my own lunch from home each day.

By the way, I was disturbed that those children could not identify their vegetables and I admire that teacher's recognition that a change needed to be made, including the names of vegetables in the curriculum.

Likes (0)

#35 Sat 27 Mar 10 8:33am

kali555

Hi Jamie,
Thank you so much for doing this! You are so brave and I hope you know that there are MANY people who understand what you are trying to do and are cheering for you. I just watched your first episode of Food Revolution and I felt so bad about the backlash you were getting. I thought it was sad that you had to keep clarifying that you are not trying to be some snobby Brit coming to change America! This has nothing to do with what country your from! I'm assuming these people are so defensive, that they are just trying to push back with anything they can. I'm from California where I think there is more exposure to the organic movement. What you are doing makes complete sense and I want to thank you.  I have two young daughters and one will start school this year. I plan to put her in a private school and thankfully they offer fresher meals. However, I was considering the local public school and funny thing, before I even knew about this show, I was checking out their lunch menus. I was horrified. One day it was chicken nuggets with fried tater tots (like french fries), another was microwaved pepperoni Hot Pockets. This just helped confirm my decision in sending my kids to private school! I felt like one small parental voice would do nothing, but thank god you and your show came along. I'm so glad you're doing this. It seems like moving a giant cultural brick wall, but I hope your show gets a lot of publicity and that it creates change. I support you all the way! And thank you to your wife and kids for the sacrifice they are giving in having you away from home in order to do such great things for this country. Best of luck and stay strong!

Likes (0)

#36 Sat 27 Mar 10 1:30pm

mnmspencer

thumbsup
Absolutely fantastic! Although I wasn't surprised that most of the children didn't know what the different fruits & veggies were, I was most surprised by Alice. Seemed she liked taking the easy way and didn't really care if it affected children's well-being or not. Unfortunately it starts with the parents. If they don't like vegetables, they won't purchase it for their kids. I have a sister who was like that. Until I told her she couldn't do that. Her eldest daughter loves beets as well as other veggies but she wouldn't purchase them because she didn't eat them. When the kids were at my home they would ask me for things like beets, broccoli, etc for lunch instead of macaroni & cheese and chicken nuggets.
I can't wait to watch next week. It was quite emotional to watch it knowing that this exists across most of the country. I also feel that if the government would not allow the purchase of processed foods with food stamp cards, it would force the families to eat healthier as well. We have to start somewhere.
Many thanks to you and to Ryan for taking on such a strong cause. You are both loved deeply in this house!
clap

Likes (0)

#37 Sat 27 Mar 10 1:58pm

Lemonman

Occupation Chef and daddy
From Beijing China
Member since Fri 10 Oct 08

I was thinking about the health care in the US and the long term and found out that they will need to pay a lot in the future for all the sick people how eat unhealthy food now if it goes on like this.I feel sorry for the ones how do eat well and do understand the reason and  its a pity they are gone pay the bill also.
Some words that should help you think :ConAgra, Perdue Farms and Sarah Lee
and then the US troops ( as in food ).
I know its a part where i should not go because of the Hero and country thinking but these are big names and these names are not helping to get it much better soon.
JO has his plan and going well with waking up yes but its not to him you should only listen but also to your self, talk about it and try to get to understand it better is important.   smile
Maybe some US Chefs should try to help a bit more also.
  whistle

Likes (0)

#38 Sat 27 Mar 10 2:07pm

FoodCoopswork

Dude, thank you for raising he awaraness level of the American public.

You are trying to undo the brainwashing caused by years of machiavelic advertising campaigns by food manufacturers. 

Unfortunately people in the US buy these products because they are fast and convenient, although loaded with harmful chemicals, and therefore "lazy" consumers are also at fault. 

I cook everything from scratch, buy all my food from the local Farmer's Market, it is a long term investment in me, I do not want to retire and spend all my money on drugs and doctors, what kind of life will be that? 

The real problem lies with the USDA and FDA, policy is written by lobbyists who do not care about the public's protection, they are only concerned  with profits.

Quite a nice system they have devised, a child is born, is beig fed crap, by the time he becomes a working adult he is poisoned by the food, so he is being told you need to buy drugs in order to feel better. 

Please note it is feel better not get better, you can only get better if you change your diet and detoxify your system.

What is really sad about this is that we have all tools available to become informed consumers  but we still accept the status-quo.

Likes (0)

#39 Sat 27 Mar 10 2:19pm

Butterfly44

Occupation Training Coordinator
From Upstate NY

I was also very surprises by the way Jamie was treated. Why is it so hard for people to believe that someone actually wants to help? I was embarrassed for the people of this town when they were treating Jamie this way. It amazed me that people were upset about being seen as ignorant. That is exactly what I thought when I listened to their excuses for the way things are done. Isn't the most important thing the children and teaching them better habits so they can live a long full life? I understand that the women working in the lunch room are being directed and they have a job to do. The way they treated Jamie was shameful. They work in a kitchen and they honestly believe that pizza for breakfast and chicken nuggets all the time is healthy?? School is supposed to be a place of education. Living  a healthier lifestyle has to start with educating people so school is the perfect place to begin.
I applaud the teacher that taught her students the vegetable names. Good for her and the kids were really excited about having the right answers.
I know we are all busy but it is our job as parents to take care of our children. Obesity is killing us....plain and simple.

Likes (0)

#40 Sat 27 Mar 10 2:52pm

ldhalver

I watched the show as well. I thought it was really great. I remember when our middle school brought pop machines into the school in the 80's. I was outraged but no one thought it was a big deal. The big cola companies paid for new football fielding lighting and a new scoreboard with the agreement that the machines stayed in the schools for a ridiculous number of years. I was a minority voice at school meetings. And here we are 25 years later and finally some people want these machines out of the schools.
     My only complaint with the show is Jamie's bad language. I encouraged my whole family to watch the show and his language was not appropriate for what I allow my kids to watch. If he could clean up the language we would watch it all the time as a family.

Likes (0)