forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#41 Sat 27 Mar 10 3:27pm

americanmom

Member since Sat 27 Mar 10

Re: Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution

I am so happy to see a national spotlight put on this issue and to see someone who's not afraid to bluntly say what needs to be said out loud.  This has been a pet peeve for me.  First let me say I'm not an extremist...I don't eat purely organically; I'm not a vegetarian; I eat desserts and occasionally junk. I believe in using real ingredients and eating a variety of real food for the majority of my food consumption.

I'm sure some people will be defensive at the statement that feeding our children junk is child abuse, but it is because failing to teach them about food and cooking will affect their lives - the length and quality. It was so very sad that none of those children knew any of the vegetables. It just shows how disconnected they are from their food.  I found the same with so many of my children's friends.  We moved a lot and I saw many areas of the country, affluent and not, and many school cafeterias.  The problem exists across the board, but I saw examples that disproved the excuses.

My children are in college now and eat healthfully on their own (maybe you can do your next intervention at a college dining hall - they are as bad and provide 3 meals a day, 7 days a week).  They prefer good food. We always had a garden. In an apartment or a new house, maybe it was just a pot of tomatoes, other times a full garden.  My kids grew up picking a pea pod or cherry tomato for a snack while playing outside (I never used chemicals in my own garden). They saw how food grew and tasted. It takes multiple tastings to acquire a food taste, so we had "no thank you" helpings. If one of them said no thank you to a food offering, they got one bite put on their plate and were expected to eat it. If they were hungry before dinner, they were permitted to snack on any fruits or veggies I was preparing.

On the show, there was a lot of talk about the cost of food. Americans, on average, spend the smallest percentage of their income on food than any other country in the world.  The cost is not just how much you pay for the food, but also the costs in healthcare, and productivity, and self esteem.  Good food can be done on a budget personally and in schools. Personally, you can grow some foods, buy proteins and pantry items on sale, and buy in season.  The one school my children attended that had the healthiest food was also the tastiest food and the lowest per pupil cost.  On the show, the children were being given more food in volume than a child that age usually eats. Waste is a huge cost. Make one healthy main entree, given in small portions, and let the children fill in the remainder from a self serve station filled with fruits, raw vegetables, dipping sauces, etc.  Only offer healthy choices and they will become accustomed to those foods.

Time is another factor people cite for eating processed food. With a few easily learned cooking techniques (not recipes, but techniques), any combination of proteins and vegetables can be made into a healthy and tasty dinner in less time than it takes for a delivery pizza or frozen dinner.

I'm looking forward to seeing the subsequent shows in the series to see how much or little changes.

Likes (0)

#42 Sat 27 Mar 10 3:37pm

IndianaJulia

Jamie's Food Revolution is incredible. I completely agree and support what he's trying to do in the school food system. It IS possible to provide good, healthy meals and still stay on budget. My grandma was living proof of that. She was a cook at a local private school for over 20 years. She would have to watch what she made because she would MAKE money for the school! Yes, make money! She was a purist who cooked everything from scratch and had money left over in the school budget. Families in the area would plan their family meals around what my grandma was making in the cafeteria that day, so the Moms wouldn't have to compete with my grandma's meatloaf and other meals.

She passed away about 2 years ago, but posthumously received an achievement award from the school. Students from 30  years ago remembered her amazing cooking and how she made incredible food, including Oatmeal Raisin cookies that were actually Oatmeal Date cookies because it was government food. If one little old lady can make such an impact on a small school and community, then I believe, through time and effort, Jamie can too.

Thank you for your hard work, and I look forward to the day when my future kids can enjoy school food.

Likes (0)

#43 Sat 27 Mar 10 4:31pm

SusanNC

I've been following Jamie since the Naked Chef Days, so Proud of him for what he's trying to do here in the USA.  Seriously, about time someone gets the crap out of our schools.  Back in the 60's, lunch ladies made "real" food, peeled potatoes, cooked the meat, chopped fresh veggies, we even got dessert, but it was all homemade, nothing was processed - childhood obesity was a rare thing, let alone kids with TypeII Diabetes, heart disease, etc.  About 25yrs ago, some genius decided the old fashioned, home-cooked meals were too fattening for the kids (even though they were good fats), so in comes all the heavily processed, microwave crap we have today, that was the beginning of the end of nutritional school lunches.  My Son's schools now let them choose what they want - Pizza and Little Debbie Snack Cakes everyday, sure, why not - the Government Idiots say it's ok, so it must be OK.
Last week and again last night, I knew why the Head Lunch Lady was so against Jamie, but she confirmed it at the end of last nights show.  She said - Obviously I'm doing this for the money.  She admitted that she finally understood what he was trying to do, but the fact was - this is a paycheck to her and the easier the better (which explains her love of all things microwaved). 

I was incredibly touched by the love and care Jamie showed the Edwards 12 year old Son.  All that boy needed was someone to make him feel special and show him the way - just amazing what a little TLC can do.  I'm an RN on a Med/Surg floor, you wouldn't believe the amount of young patients we get that are morbidly obese, diabetic and on the brink of major cardiac problems.  Like the Dr. in the show said - Diabetes is a TERRIBLE

Likes (0)

#44 Sat 27 Mar 10 4:41pm

SusanNC

Ran out of room in my last post, but wanted to finish my little Diabetes Rant.  Once Diabetes gets hold of you, it doesn't like to let go.  Cuts on your feet don't heal, then the Docs start amputating your toes, then a foot, finally a leg.  Kidneys stop working and you end up on dialysis - usually all downhill from there - and these are young people.  Just losing a few lbs can start reversing all of this and turn your life around.  Really Hope people will listen to Jamie and realize the good he's trying to do.  God Bless You Jamie - Keep up the Good Work!!!

Likes (0)

#45 Sat 27 Mar 10 4:50pm

Babett

I really enjoyed the show on school lunches I worked in the food service department with school lunches, I am retired now.  When I first started working everything was made from scratch.  Now the schools are using a lot of prepared food I must say our school did offer fruit and vegatbles to the students and they did look appetizing.  I don't think Jamie mentioned the sodium in school lunches.  I tasted a few things like the mashed potatoes and could not believe how salty they are I guess because the schools use instant potatoes. Is there a guideline on the sodium I know they watch for fat and bake everything instead of frying.

Likes (0)

#46 Sat 27 Mar 10 9:08pm

kenwhitfield

Unfortunately it's human nature that 60% of people go against change rather then embracing change.  I too watched Jamies show in Huntington last night ( I live 20 minutes away ) and was shocked on how the handful of people from Huntington acted as they did.  Please do not let these people lead you to believe that this is how the entire population is.  For the most part, West Virginians are very warm and welcoming people and I am very ashamed after seeing what I did on television.  I'm even more ashamed of the disc jockey from the Dawg radio station that interviewed Jamie as he did.  I am trying to setup a interview session between Jamie and Rock 105 to give Jamie a chance to tell his story without prejudice and indifference.  Jaime's mission HAS TO happen, not just here in WV, but everywhere. 
  One thing I would like to see on this show is for Jaime to point out the local restaurants that do serve fresh cooked food with the proper sized portions and proper balance between carbs, protein, fiber, and fats.

Likes (0)

#47 Sat 27 Mar 10 9:25pm

SDaklady

Like many I watched the show last night I felt your frustration with the way things are in the school system.  As a former school lunch person I was always horrified at the waste left behind from lunches. At one time we were serving one entree', vegetable, bread, fruit. Then the lunches changed to offer choices to the students. Of course both entrees' were processed foods of some kind. I knew exactly what you were going through Jamie when you tried to serve the chicken. At one time the school decided to make homemade chicken noodle soup with vegetables. It was one of the best things we made and it was also one the kids didn't like.  Most of it went into the garbage. It was never served again.  Back to the processed foods...chicken nuggets, fish nuggets, pizza, nachos. I applaud you Jamie for doing this. I wish that all the school systems here in America took a look at their requirements and adjusted them. 

We need to readjust our kids to eat good foods. But when they hear us, as adults, say "yuck, green peppers" or "gross, broccholi". They aren't going to touch it, period! They learn from us. We need to set the example ourselves.

Last edited by SDaklady (Sun 28 Mar 10 8:04pm)

Likes (0)

#48 Sat 27 Mar 10 9:37pm

lynnroeth

Jamie! Thank you for all you are doing for children worldwide, farmers, cooks and families! Everything you advocate is close to my heart as a mom, grandmom, educator and home cook!

I also would love for you to check out my daughter's website: Fooditude: Kids TV with a Bite!

Jodi is nutrition educator at the Capital Area Food Bank in Washington DC. She has worked with Share Our Strength and is also an RD who teaches people to cook with the food they receive from the food bank. With Fooditude she and her 2 partners hope to raise awareness of fresh food, how/where food is grown and how to cook it! Please check out their mission video as it totally supports what you are doing. As a mom, I thank you and as a citizen of the world I applaud you!

Likes (0)

#49 Sat 27 Mar 10 9:42pm

abbartski

This was such an eye opener for our family.  I cannot thank you enough for your unending determination.  I wanted to jump through the tv and shake some people, I can't believe how moved I was.  We, too are guilty of some fast food drive thrus on an activity evening and I don't want one of my twins buying lunch anymore.  The chicken nugget segment did it for me.  God bless you and your desire to help others.  We will be watching your next episode as a family, just as we did last night.
Stay well,
AnnMarie

Likes (0)

#50 Sun 28 Mar 10 12:18am

adolan

i was also very moved by your show today, helping the school, even when they were tough to convince. I am excited that your are so commited to this and aggressive for the health of our kids.

The only thing that hit me today was when i went to your site and noticed you are calling this a Ministry of Food, I am christian but i know many people who see the word Ministry are turned off, dont look further, etc. I think it might make people think this is conneced to faith and religion even thought I know what you mean by it. Even some churches are not using that word as to attract more people who have a negative experience with ministry per se.

I have been an advertising executive for many years and I would suggest to find a more approachable way to label this - the "Food Revolution" alone is enough!!    smile

Can you make t-shirts or a Logo so i can use one that says FOOD REVOLUTION   ??

Likes (0)