Jamie Oliver

forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#51 Sun 28 Mar 10 12:34am

jamieblog

Member since Sat 27 Mar 10

Re: Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution

I'm proud of you, Organic mom, keep it up.

We mothers shouldn't blame the school, or government... It's about making the right choices, be informed and take action!
Stupid and lazy or over qualified and stressed out. Where are the true mothers that can make a change, one by one.
But it takes a certain kind of effort, to do the best we can.
So wake up, pack your kid a good lunch and don't depend on somebody else to fix the problem.

Jamie, thanks for your hard work! Please note, some of us enjoy the healthy way of cooking. There is hope.

an old fashion mom smile

Likes (0)

#52 Sun 28 Mar 10 5:07am

AdrieneRD

Occupation Registered Dietitian
From Cambridge, MA
Member since Sun 28 Mar 10

I just watched the first two episodes of the show, and I am thrilled to see what Jamie is doing. As a former cook and kitchen manager, watching Jamie walk into a kitchen with staff that has been set in their ways for decades and using the word "change" impressed me.  As a dietitian, I know all too well the impact eating pattern-related illnesses have on people in the U.S. It's mind blowing sometimes (well, most of the time), especially since many are preventable. I work every day on bringing the two concepts together; the first step to a healthier future is changing the way one considers food. Cooking is power!

My heart goes out to him for tackling a town like Huntington. Thank you, Jamie, for being brave and unwavering in what you believe in.

Likes (0)

#53 Mon 29 Mar 10 12:26am

Tweety8665

You are doing a great thing for children in the United States.  I support you 100%.  Keep up the good work!  There is something wrong with this country when we send our children to school and they can choose chocolate milk, strawberry milk, or even cookies and creme milk!  I don't let my child have those things at home, but she can have them five days a week at school.  There is something wrong with the menu choices at the school and we can do something to change it for the sake of our children.  They are our future.  Way to go Jamie!  Bring the Food Revolution to Mississippi to help our state out.  We will support your efforts.

Likes (0)

#54 Mon 29 Mar 10 12:53am

SaraOR

I just watched both episodes that have aired so far, and I am embarrassed at the reaction from people!  Jamie came to the US to help a dire situation and we (the US) welcomed him with rude lunch ladies, grumpy radio hosts and skeptical school officials.  If I could talk to Jamie, I would apologize for the way his food revolution was received.  Wow.  I am completely on board with his concepts!  We have a SERIOUS problem!  It's two fold though...First is our issue with what our kids eat, second is the fact that those school kids are dumping perfectly good food in their trash cans!  Did any of you see how much food got thrown away??  Sad.  Parents, try to pack your kids' lunches...maybe it will send a message to the school if no one is choosing to eat there!
I am so excited for Jamie's revolution and I hope things go well.  We live on the west coast, and just planted our own home garden.  My kids are involved with growing the food they will eat.  We will cook together, as my mom did with me.  I work full time, but I develop a recipe list every two weeks, I shop from my list, and I prep all my meals on a Sunday so that during the week we aren't tempted to eat junk.  Yes, it takes some effort, but good grief, isn't it worth it?
Plant a garden, teach your kids to cook, prepare your own meals - from scratch, be healthy! 
Hooray for Jamie and his crew!

Likes (0)

#55 Mon 29 Mar 10 3:25am

galenk

Member since Sat 27 Mar 10

Great show! Finally someone has figured out a way to get the word out to the masses. I feel like there is a a critical mass taking shape. With Twoangrymoms.org, Food, Inc.,  Ominvore's Dilemma, and now the Food Revolution, we just might make a dent in the huge problem we face.
If you ever start to "franchise" the Jamie's Kitchens I want in. I do Holistic Health Counseling and have been preaching to anyone I can about the importance of food and health.
Keep up the great work!

Likes (0)

#56 Mon 29 Mar 10 3:35am

Nutriton12

Member since Mon 29 Mar 10

Jamie,

I am a nutrition student from Australia and you are my INSPIRATION!  My dream is to eventually educate parents and children about nutrition for a long and healthy life.  I am SO EXCITED about your food revolution!!!

Thank you Jamie!!!!!!!

Likes (0)

#57 Mon 29 Mar 10 4:30am

Peach89

Dear Mr. Oliver
Thank you for coming to our country and bringing to our attention one of the most important revolutions in our time.
It's terrifying to graduate from high school and go out into the world, only to find that the way of life that you've been taught is destroying humanity and the planet, and that your preceding generation is relying on your's to change that. There are so many problems and causes in this world today it's just mind boggling to try and pick one and put in a serious effort while at the same time just trying to survive! From what I've heard, read, and seen, public school reform combined with food reform is one of the greatest things any of us can do to improve the state of the world, next to preserving what's left of the natural world.
Food is the most fundamental part of all our lives. It's what we put into our bodies and into the environment every day. It has amazingly strong effect on not only health but also mood, intelligence, and stamina.
Children are the most important part of influencing the world. It's true that you just can't teach an old dog new tricks. After talking with so many people about food choices and environmental choices, I've learned that those who care have always cared and those who don't never have and never will. At   least not without serious persuasion and lots of support. It's also true that the most important things people learn, they learn as children. Entire generations are being trained to eat junk food and at the same time being trained not to care what they put into their bodies or into the planet. This is the first time in history when an entire generation can grow up not knowing what a tomato is and then have children of their own who will never know. This is simply terrifying to me.
But if we can change what we teach to the masses of children growing up in this exponentially growing population of ours, we can ignite some real change. The next generation is going to rule the world someday and it is of absolute importance that they know how to take care of not only themselves but of each other and the environment.
So, Mr. Oliver, I'm thanking you for broadcasting, on a worldwide scale, one of the greatest and most important movements in our history.
Keep up the good work! clap

Likes (0)

#58 Mon 29 Mar 10 4:42am

teach4change

Occupation Teacher

I teach 8th grade at a public school in the Dallas,TX. area.  I tivoed Jamie's Food Revolution and just watched both episodes; tears are streaming down my face.  The same kids that he saw in the elementary schools in WV sit in my classroom and cafeteria with the same issues and the same amount of knowledge of what types of food they're putting in their bodies. 

I went to Costco today and bought the largest package of glucose tabs for one of my students.  He has diabetes and his family is financially tight; he ran out of glucose tabs this past Friday.  In three to four years, students who were born in the year 2000 will enter 6th grade.  One in three students will have diabetes.  Two in three students of minority will have diabetes.  It is an epidemic. 

Currently I'm working on starting a school garden.  I'm at a loss on where to start.  I've been searching the internet trying to find resources that can tell me how to start, what I'll need, raised garden or not raised, what to plant, etc.  I can find information on teachers and other individuals who have a working garden in a school, but I can't find any resources on how they started!  I'm frustrated to say the least.  Am I not looking in the right places?  I'm going to scour the public library on all books gardening and I guess I'll go from there.  Fortunately, I have an amazing principal and she is backing me all the way! 

Any ideas on how to start this project that seems very daunting to me? 

Thanks all! 

Teach for change!!!

Likes (0)

#59 Mon 29 Mar 10 4:52am

Italy1

It was about time that someone would try to improve the food in the American School system. I am a nurse at a hospital, although the food served is not as bad as it is in the schools, It is still unacceptable. I am originally from Italy, and I have worked in Italian hospitals, the food served there includes fresh fruits, like pears that are oven baked to be more digestible, or vegetables drizzled with extra virgin olive oil for flavor and to promote better nutrients absorption.

The hospital where I work at, serves canned fruit drowned in cheap syrup,the vegetables are just boiled in water and put on the plate. I am afraid that the hospitals in the rest of the country serve similar things. Sick people need good nutrition, not things that makes them sicker. I hope the revolution will spread to other places beside schools.

Thank you Jamie

Italian forever!!

Likes (0)

#60 Mon 29 Mar 10 4:55am

tkwagner83

Occupation Library Assistant & Grad Student
From Charleston, SC

I love that Jamie is doing this campaign. You are fantastic. I used to watch your show years ago but have recently fallen into a cooking rut where I don't eant to do it or am really lazy about it. So thanks for the kicik in the ass.

Also, after watching the show, I was appalled at what the school were serving the kids. I mean pizza for breakfast. My mom works at an elementary school and the food isn't great but they do try to at least serve them breakfast food. Actually at her school breakfast is much healthier than lunch, more fresh ingredients.

I truly think it has to be a nationwide effort. I mean the USDA standards for school meals are appalling and need to be changed. Moreover, I truly think that people need to wake up and realize what they are putting in their bodies is horrible.

Just recently, I realized how more I spend buying boxed, processed food. This week, I bought all fresh ingredients and overall less money. Hopefully, I will continue to learn more about cooking in the process. Thanks Jamie trying to show America how we can live better.

Last edited by tkwagner83 (Mon 29 Mar 10 4:55am)

Likes (0)