forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#61 Mon 29 Mar 10 1:32pm

morrigan0

Member since Mon 29 Mar 10

Re: Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution

Just wanted to say thank you to Mr. Oliver. I can honestly say that learning young forms a habit for life.
I'm the kid who ate whatever they wanted growing up and still find it difficult to eat anything not BAD for me. I used to get told off in high school for having a "milky way and a soda" for lunch and never really changed much. I know my parents tried to get me to eat real food but they didn't watch me enough and it all got fed to the dog when they'd leave me in the kitchen after not having eaten my lunch/dinner within 1+hour.
I spent my older teenage years eating spaghetti with canned sauces or the ramen soup packets and not much has changed. I can eat semi healthy things and fresh but always revert to quick and easy over healthy. I doubt there's anything wrong with my taste buds which make me so picky and can only hope a little effort goes a long way with the revolution for future generations.

Likes (0)

#62 Mon 29 Mar 10 2:30pm

jsgriffi1

Member since Sat 27 Mar 10

Jamie - you go!  There is a real reason I pack my kids lunches 4 out of the 5 days they go to school.  I can offer them so much healthier food than what is currently offered in our school systems.  Anybody think there is some politics involved in here.....  Parents also need to take responsibility for their kids diets - you can't constantly feed them junk and let them play w/computers or tv all day w/o that reaking havoc on their health at some point.  There is a real reason high blood pressure, diabetes and heart disease are being found in our kids.  Get out and play, eat good tasting healthy food (yes, there is such an animal!) and be role models to exercise and sports.

Likes (0)

#63 Mon 29 Mar 10 5:24pm

freshlensphotos

A real eye-opener, Jamie.  I felt ill when the 1st graders couldn't even identify a tomato, eggplant, or potato.  But ketchup and french fries were a no-brainer.  Kudos at least to the teachers who rectified the situation for those couple dozen kids.  But what about the rest?  How many classes and grade levels woud you have to quiz before we got to a group who can recognize basic vegetables?  And how are the teachers supposed to shoulder the added responsibility of teaching children about food, utensils and eating habits when they're already overwhelmed teaching proper behavior and a well-rounded education? 

Oh, America.  These children are not going to thank us when they grow up and don't have the basic life skills to succeed.  God Bless you, Jamie.  Thank you for taking the time to come here and help us.

Likes (0)

#64 Mon 29 Mar 10 6:39pm

jgetzewich

As an elementary teacher, in Southern Califronia, I thought some of you may surprised to know that in some school districts, instructional time has been given up to serve breakfast in the classrooms. 

In an effort to ensure that students have a "nutritious" breakfast each day, my school district chose to have classroom teachers begin each instructional day, not teaching, but serving breakfast.  Although I agree that a healthy breakfast is an essential component of academic success, I have serious concerns about the types of food that are served and the fact that teachers are forced to give up teacing time to serve such food.

As Jamie demonstrated, most school food is over-processed and of questionable nutritional value.  The fresh foods are ignored and/or discarded by students. Further, because classroom breakfast became a mandatory part of the instructional day, students who had previously eaten far more nutritious breakfasts at home, had no choice but to eat school foods. 

Overall, breakfast in the classroom did not seem to have the success it was supposed to..... sad

Likes (0)

#65 Mon 29 Mar 10 10:52pm

gabrooks928

Thank goodness for you, Jamie.  I myself am a mother of 5.  I just finished watchng Food Revolution and it made me want to cry.  I can't believe what our children are eating.  It also made me reevaluate the food I keep in my freezer and kitchen that I feed my children.

I am not much of a cook, so I have always fed my kids the easy way, processed.  But now, I want to throw out all the junk and start over.

Hopefully, you have had this effect on others.  I will be looking forward to watching the rest of the shows and hopefully get a few pointers on quick healthy inexpensive meals for my family.

God bless you and what you are doing for our country and our families and children

Likes (0)

#66 Tue 30 Mar 10 12:32am

cookin4real

Occupation executive chef
From appleton, wisconsin

I am really behind this 100%...
I have two daughters in high school and neither of them will eat lunch at the school. My youngest daughter has become vegetarian because of the low quality of the poor meat choices (processed hamburger, processed chicken, canned ham, etc...), and the older one just packs left-overs..I am a professional chef.
good luck to everyone & lets pull together...
Chef clap

Likes (0)

#67 Wed 21 Mar 12 11:46pm

Jsseppala

Member since Wed 21 Mar 12

Hi
My name is Jane I am not always the healthiest eater but I try and I do know what is in my meat. What really helped me start eating healthier was I started working at a place called Sandella's. It is a little cafe in a college in spartanburg, sc, usa where the calorie count is right next to each item on the menu and it has a lot if health choices. The average calorie count is about 500 calories and the food is really good. So good in fact that my family members wish there were more Sandellas around so they could eat it. Which got me thinking why are there not more. The food is good, the prices are reasonable, and it is healthy. So maybe if I spread the word Sandella's can get more popular and get larger

Last edited by Jsseppala (Wed 21 Mar 12 11:47pm)

Likes (0)