forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Sat 17 Apr 10 9:39pm

bobsmith2010

Member since Sat 17 Apr 10

Peri Peri Sauce recipe

Hi,

I'm trying to find a recipe for a good Peri Peri sauce similar to the stuff you get at Nandos. The stuff you buy in bottles from the supermarkets just doesn't taste the same!

My kids love the stuff and I'd really like to be able to make it at home. Also do they use this same sauce as marinade on their chickens?

Any help appreciated.

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 05 May 10 6:29pm

Rippers

Member since Sun 02 May 10

Re: Peri Peri Sauce recipe

I'm a massive fan of nandos.. i used to go about 2/3 times a week yikes which cost me a fortune lol.. i have tried the marinades from the supermarkets and you are right that they dont taste the same. depending on flavour you have. The hot marinade tastes similar to what they use in nandos, but the do not sell the medium sauce which sucks a little :\ they dont use the sauce as a marianade, the marianade has some different ingredients. I'm sure ive seen it somewhere but not 100% where tho...

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 06 May 10 12:59am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

The Food Lovers Guide did a segment years ago about piri piri sauce, and I am pretty sure it was with the guy who started Nando's. I looked up and found this, but I am not sure if it is the same one. Should be close though!
http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipe/19/Piri_piri_sauce
Cheers smile

Likes (0)

#4 Thu 06 Jan 11 12:35am

Sajsan

Member since Sun 23 May 10

Here is one which we have been using. Works great but it has a shelf life of around 6 weeks and flavour will peak after 1 week.

For Garlic Peri-Peri sauce:
16 tablespoons of olive oil (regular) or vegetable oil.
5 tablespoons of garlic power
3 lemons - squeeze the juice out.
2 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon of cayenne pepper (optional)
1 tablespoon of cider vinegar
12-18 thai chilli - cut up (medium heat; 24 up for high heat)

For Garlic, Herb & Lemon:
Add the following:
1 tablespoon of green parsley (optional)
1 tablespoon of green coriander (optional)

Mix up the above and put into a blender. Blend until completely liquidised. Add the optional item if you are wanting the Nando's Lemon & Herb; .

Pour into a bottle and refrigerate.

Perfect as a marinade or a nandos replacement sauce. Results are guaranteed to please peri-peri affectionados.

Last edited by Sajsan (Thu 06 Jan 11 12:43am)

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 06 Jan 11 1:31pm

sergio1972

Forum champ
Occupation NLP Trainer and Coach
From Portugal
Member since Tue 09 Dec 08

Although there isnt one specific and unique recipe for piri piri the most common is indeed as shown in Joy's link. Link that by the way mentions piri piri as being part of portuguese cuisine. In my opinion thats not 100% correct cause piri piri was "made" by people in the former portuguese colonies, mainly in Africa.
With that in mind I think that the recipe posted above isnt quite piri piri. I dont doubt that is a good recipe but it contains several ingredients that arent a part of portuguese or former portuguese colonies, like paprika, cayenne pepper or cider vinegar.
Also as an advice I dont recommend that olive oil is used caused after a while it gets smelly. I dont know the word in english but its a smell thats the consequence of the oxidation of the grease contained in the olive oil which is caused by a biochemical reaction between grease and oxygen which creates a change in the long chain of fatty acids.
Sorry if this is too technical but I also used olive oil the first time I made piri piri and after a while I got that awful result.
Nowadays I use veg oil.
thumbsup

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 06 Jan 11 4:13pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Rancid...think that's the word Sergio...

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 06 Jan 11 5:26pm

sergio1972

Forum champ
Occupation NLP Trainer and Coach
From Portugal
Member since Tue 09 Dec 08

Yes its likely to be, the portuguese word is "ranšo". I didnt find it in the dictionary. Thanks wine~o! thumbsup

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 06 Jan 11 7:56pm

hayleyparso

Occupation Customer service
From Ellesmere Port, Cheshire
Member since Mon 03 Jan 11

I just love Nandos smile  I get cravings for it and just have to go smile
Going next Thursday actually  whistle

Likes (0)

#9 Thu 06 Jan 11 8:26pm

wine~o

Forum champ
Occupation Handyman
From Dorset u.k
Member since Tue 21 Oct 08

Never been....what's their "nut" policy.....

Likes (0)

#10 Thu 06 Jan 11 9:48pm

greyhound

Occupation plasterer
From Brisbane
Member since Mon 24 Apr 06

they dont discriminate wine-o. they will serve nuts too if they have the money  lol

Likes (0)