forum: Food & Drink

Subscribe to forums RSS

#31 Sun 18 Apr 10 7:14pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Re: IS A HEALTHY FULL ENGLISH BREAKFAST POSSIBLE?

Um, it's not a personal attack, it's standard internet etiquette.  Capitals are hard to read and comes across in an unpleasantly shouty fashion.  Everyone who has posted in caps has had similar responses, and that's most certainly not unique to this site, nor is it having a go at you personally.

hmm

Likes (0)

#32 Sun 18 Apr 10 7:19pm

TerryKay

Forum champ
Occupation Beer Reviewer, Freelance Writer and Pole Dancer at Peppermint Hippo.
From London
Member since Sun 06 Dec 09

Anna wrote:

I'm with MrP, please kill the caps, it's really annoying.

Brews views, beer reviews, and booze news. Choose YouTube's Beer Goggles Reviews
    Likes (0)

#33 Sun 18 Apr 10 7:29pm

TerryKay

Forum champ
From London

Where does it end? Infuriating use of commars in the wrong places? Non determinatives in a sentence? Question marks on rhetorical questions? Spelling mistakes? Use of a double negative?
There's not much wrong with my etiquette. There IS plenty wrong with my gramma. Thanks for the etiquette lesson though. Nice.

Brews views, beer reviews, and booze news. Choose YouTube's Beer Goggles Reviews
    Likes (0)

#34 Sun 18 Apr 10 7:36pm

mrpab

Forum champ
Member since Wed 23 Jul 08

Terry, I'm sorry if I offended you. I tried to point out as gently as I could that it's generally not considered polite to write in all caps. I don't think it reflects in any way on your intelligence, medical condition, morals, upbringing or anything else, it was just a point of information. If you still feel the need to title your threads in all caps, it's fine, we'll all just have to deal with it somehow. I'll still read your posts, which are always funny and insightful. I consider you a friend on this foru

edit:  -m.

Last edited by mrpab (Sun 18 Apr 10 7:38pm)

Likes (0)

#35 Sun 18 Apr 10 8:03pm

Anna

Forum champ
From Switzerland
Member since Fri 15 Apr 05

Anna wrote:

Capitals are hard to read and comes across in an unpleasantly shouty fashion

I'm out.

Likes (0)

#36 Sun 18 Apr 10 9:28pm

TerryKay

Forum champ
From London

Anna wrote:

Anna wrote:

Capitals are hard to read and comes across in an unpleasantly shouty fashion

I'm out.

Not quite sure how you find capitals hard to read. Anything that needs to be quickly and instantly eye catching is very often written in capitals (News headlines, adverts, product names, warning signs, teletext headings, book titles, film titles, post codes etc etc etc etc). My fiance is very very close to being blind but can just read texts on her large screen, high contrast phone if she uses a jewellers lens and has her nose against the phone (if the sender uses CAPITALS). They are 50% taller and 50% wider. I can see them clearer too. The use of capitals to shout is easy for most people to differensiate from my using them in a title. If my title said KISS THIS, you could understand any confusion (especially if it contained a picture of a cute puppy).
I DON'T WRITE MY POSTS LIKE THIS NOW, DO I?
Just thread titles. In amongst countless threads about the colour of today's sky or wordplay games etc etc it helps me to navigate.

Likes (0)

#37 Sun 18 Apr 10 9:40pm

Stella Heath

Forum champ
Occupation getting along as best I can
From Burgos, Spain
Member since Mon 27 Oct 08

Oh is colour blind and, though not dyslexic (I have a friend from Uni who is both) completely lost in time/space. What's more, he's found it impossible to adjust to progressive lenses, so at home doesn't wear glasses unless he's reading, and when we go out, only takes the ones for long sight. He always uses caps. when he needs to make himself understood, and finds them easier to read.

I was taught always to fill in forms using capitals, to avoid confusion. Another thing in Internet etiquette, which is something totally new to so many of us. I think, now we know your problem, we should waive it. Personally, I've long since decided to ignore grammatical and spelling errors. I'm a linguist and something of a pedant, but I don't have to inflict that on you all. smile

Likes (0)

#38 Sun 18 Apr 10 9:51pm

shishka

Occupation student and a mom
From new york,USA
Member since Sun 18 Apr 10

I always thought that an "English healthy breakfast" is a bowl of oatmeal ,whole wheat toast  with a naturall strawberry jam,a cup of tea and if you an egg-lover,you can have a boiled variety. That what i have every morning and call  it a healthy english breakfast. yummy

Last edited by shishka (Sun 18 Apr 10 10:14pm)

Likes (0)

#39 Sun 18 Apr 10 9:53pm

TerryKay

Forum champ
From London

Stella Heath wrote:

Oh is colour blind and, though not dyslexic (I have a friend from Uni who is both) completely lost in time/space. What's more, he's found it impossible to adjust to progressive lenses, so at home doesn't wear glasses unless he's reading, and when we go out, only takes the ones for long sight. He always uses caps. when he needs to make himself understood, and finds them easier to read.

I was taught always to fill in forms using capitals, to avoid confusion. Another thing in Internet etiquette, which is something totally new to so many of us. I think, now we know your problem, we should waive it. Personally, I've long since decided to ignore grammatical and spelling errors. I'm a linguist and something of a pedant, but I don't have to inflict that on you all. smile

Oh praise be for intelligent understanding people like youself. I double check everything that I post but their are still tonnes of errors in the way I write my rambling thoughts. There is sense locked behind the cage of words, it's in there somewhere. Unfortunately I linguisticly torture the language too. oops

Likes (0)

#40 Sun 18 Apr 10 9:58pm

Stella Heath

Forum champ
Occupation getting along as best I can
From Burgos, Spain
Member since Mon 27 Oct 08

Actually, linguistically, you write very well. My Uni friend blesses the spelling corrector thumbsup

Likes (0)