Jamie Oliver

forum: FAQ's

Subscribe to forums RSS

#31 Fri 05 Aug 11 11:27am

musuoka

Member since Wed 03 Aug 11

Re: Secrets to bread making?

Imagine, speaker placement, the number of professional articles ah. But no one spoken of headphones internal environment. Although the environment inside the headphones obviously much simpler, ear structure is established, good change. But the ears, but the glasses leg it, but the woman's earrings and the like it?

Likes (0)

#32 Mon 08 Aug 11 8:20pm

isabelferreras

Member since Mon 08 Aug 11

The best trick I ever read about good bread-making is to rise the dough in the oven, multiple times. However, I'm not of the opinion that turnign on the oven to the lowest temp and off is the best method. Instead, I endorse using a pot of boiling water underneath the  bowl in which the bread is rising. The moisture and humidity makes for excellent flavour development and texture.

Hope I helped!

Likes (0)

#33 Mon 08 Aug 11 9:21pm

RedfoxEstonia

Forum champ
Occupation museum guide in Tallinn Seaplane Hangars
From Tallinn, Estonia
Member since Tue 16 Mar 10

you are not doing anything wrong - you are getting experience. thatīs the main ingredient of making bread, experience.
yiest bread did not turn out so great for me either in the beginning.  the more you get to know the process, the easier it becomes to predict what happens with soft or hard dough at a high or medium temperature, lower or upper level of the oven, bigger and smaller loafs.

Likes (0)

#34 Tue 09 Aug 11 2:17am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

isabelferreras wrote:

The best trick I ever read about good bread-making is to rise the dough in the oven, multiple times. However, I'm not of the opinion that turnign on the oven to the lowest temp and off is the best method. Instead, I endorse using a pot of boiling water underneath the  bowl in which the bread is rising. The moisture and humidity makes for excellent flavour development and texture.

Hope I helped!

Welcome Isabelferreras! Lovely to have you posting here! smile
I also don't worry about rising the dough in the oven. I just let it rise at room temperature (it is never too cold here) and the long rising time develops the flavours beautifully!
I think it is naturally happiest rising when we are having our humid summer days! I hate them, but the bread loves them! smile  cool

Likes (0)

#35 Sat 03 Sep 11 1:30am

yamfry50

Member since Wed 17 Aug 11

I found out making Malasadas (I challenge Mr. Oliver on creating these puffs of heaven! They are incredible when made properly..And I failed in that department.
I found out that you can actually OVER-proof dough!! LOL I always thought the more you let it rise, the better and more fluffy your dough will end up...not true! ha ha

Likes (0)

#36 Sat 03 Sep 11 2:04am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Hello Yamfry!
I hope your next try with Malasadas is successful. Practice makes perfect!

So much in breadmaking concentrates on trying to get the yeast to keep rising, but it is true that it can be overdone! Rich dough's are harder work for the yeast too.

I hope you master them soon though, what a gorgeous treat!

Likes (0)

#37 Sat 03 Sep 11 11:02am

TSR

From Serbia
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

yamfry50 wrote:

I found out making Malasadas (I challenge Mr. Oliver on creating these puffs of heaven! They are incredible when made properly..And I failed in that department.
I found out that you can actually OVER-proof dough!! LOL I always thought the more you let it rise, the better and more fluffy your dough will end up...not true! ha ha

The principle of yeast bread is not much different from blowing bubbles with chewing-gum (except that a loaf will contain thousands of bubbles) - you have a moist, elastic substance, and something blowing air (or CO2 in the case of yeast) into it. It can be small, it can be big, but it can certanly pop if too much is blown into it. When frying a yeast dough, you don't have to proof it to much, since oil is a MUCH stronger heat conductor than the hot air of an oven, which means the bubbles in the dough will expand very quickly, and the dough will rapdlly cook and prevent them from colapsing  when they cool. And fried yeast dough recipies typically suggest using either a soft or all-purpose flour, which doesn't have a lot of gluten. That gives you a puffy rather than rubbery pastry, but low gluten doughs tend to over-proof easily.

Likes (0)

#38 Thu 06 Oct 11 3:11am

Ana2418

Member since Thu 06 Oct 11

I usually put the dough in a bowl covered with plastic wrap, warm a cup of water in the microwave and let it rise inside the microwave, or if it's a sunny day I put it inside my car.
I also add 1 tbs maltose to the dough for consistency and flavour.
If you have time let the dough rest in the fridge, sometimes a day or so, it will develop slowly more flavour, but punching twice or three times.
yummy  crossed

Likes (0)

#39 Thu 24 Nov 11 11:00am

Lemonman

Occupation Chef and daddy
From Beijing China
Member since Fri 10 Oct 08

i got a small problem with the recipe online from the bread.
why is it that online there is the story about spoons and in the book about grams.
if i take a spoon its by far not the amount of grams.
By the book the bread tast nice all do 30 grams of salt is a bit to much ,way to much i take half of it. big_smile  crossed
i made it off the website recipe ( just to check ) and its tastless and not much is going on with it.
Any of you had the same problem?. crossed  whistle

Likes (0)

#40 Thu 24 Nov 11 11:18am

Lemonman

Occupation Chef and daddy
From Beijing China
Member since Fri 10 Oct 08

I never had any problem at all with making it and there fine nice soft crunzy breads.
But when i made it with the internet recipe it really got wrong hahaha,....
Im still wondering why why why...
The problem for me is that im in a very very dry place ( Beijing ) and that i got to add a bole of water next to my bread when its near the heater.
Did i tell i got a cat that likes water big_smile  wink he knows when im in the kitchen making it he can get a nice free good drink  thumbsup ( its always better then your one water)...
What not goes well untill now is that banana bread ( online again recipe )
its wet and soft and i try to dry banana and put it true , it does not work well...
any idear for me:)
O and i dont say all recipe here online are bad ( for the online freaky people eheheh ) i just say the books of JO say diff.
have a nice day all...im gone get some Chinese bread;)

Likes (0)