forum: FAQ's

Subscribe to forums RSS

#41 Thu 24 Nov 11 11:18am

Lemonman

Occupation Chef and daddy
From Beijing China
Member since Fri 10 Oct 08

Re: Secrets to bread making?

I never had any problem at all with making it and there fine nice soft crunzy breads.
But when i made it with the internet recipe it really got wrong hahaha,....
Im still wondering why why why...
The problem for me is that im in a very very dry place ( Beijing ) and that i got to add a bole of water next to my bread when its near the heater.
Did i tell i got a cat that likes water big_smile  wink he knows when im in the kitchen making it he can get a nice free good drink  thumbsup ( its always better then your one water)...
What not goes well untill now is that banana bread ( online again recipe )
its wet and soft and i try to dry banana and put it true , it does not work well...
any idear for me:)
O and i dont say all recipe here online are bad ( for the online freaky people eheheh ) i just say the books of JO say diff.
have a nice day all...im gone get some Chinese bread;)

Likes (0)

#42 Thu 24 Nov 11 11:31am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

If it is lacking taste it probably needs a bit more salt. smile

Likes (0)

#43 Wed 15 Feb 12 1:20am

KeyeKeye

Member since Wed 15 Feb 12

OK, I've nearly had enough!

I think i've made about 30 loaves. Of these 30, two worked out like bread. The rest? Bricks! Tasty when warm, goes hard, hasn't risen, rough.

I use:

500g Strong Flour
2 x 7g Hovis Yeast Sachets (Yellow packet things)
300ml warm water (i've added more to try a wetter mix)
pinch of salt ( i don't add salt to anything)

Method:

Mix the dry ingredients and then add the warm water. I keep going until it's incorporated and then drop it out onto a table. I've tried an oiled top, which was part of the two successful bakes, and non-floured tops, which kind of worked.

I then knead, and i think this is where i'm going wrong. I can't get it to 'window pane' at all. I've tried kneading for a short time and a long time, the longest i've done is about 35 mins. It never smooths out. It gets part way and then stops. It always tears and is really rough.

I let it rise - and it never rises like it does on YouTube! it grows and tears and gets a dry skin sometimes. I then knock it back and form it into a ball by doing the palms-up-and-then-together-in-a-circle type movement.

It doesn't get very big at this stage and if i slice the top after an hour, the whole thing drops. There's no oven spring or rise at all in the oven.

30-40 mins and it's done - a heavy thick crust with a dense inside that tastes amazing fresh from the oven but 2 hours later it's a heavy kosh worthy of Cluedo.

The first time i tried it it didn't quite work. Then, the second time, it was an amazing huge fluffy tasty white loaf that just lasted a week. The third time was the same and i thought, "i've cracked it" but the forth was a brick and since then i've been pulling bin dwellers out of the oven each and every time.

I love cooking and i just feel like I should be able to make bread. I make nice burgers and i want to make the buns. It cannot be this difficult but i'm pretty much near to giving up.

Please, if anyone has any help they can give me, or point me in the direction of someone who can, I would greatly appreciate it!

Many thanks!
K

Likes (0)

#44 Wed 15 Feb 12 2:13am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia

Hi KeyeKeye.
How frustrating for you!
I am trying to think what might help, but it is not easy to see what is going on: especially if you are using the same ingredients and recipe each time.

I think my suggestion would be to put some extra time into it. Do some kneading and then let it rise, do some more kneading, and let it rise some more. Play with it until you feel you have a bouncy living piece of dough under your hands.

I would also recommend using much less yeast than your recipe suggests. I use 1/4 of a teaspoon of yeast to about the same amount of flour as your recipe says. I give it a much longer rise to develop the flavour. (like 6 hours or more). One sachet should be plenty. This does seem to effect how the loaf grows.
I also like to search out good flour, luckily available easily around here in small Greek and Italian supermarkets that cater to people who do a lot of bread making. It is fresh and has a nice amount of gluten.

When I was looking after 5 children many years ago, I let them do the kneading for me. They used the dough like playdough, making shapes and rolling bits out and pulling it this way and that. I was philosophical that the bread wouldn't work, but instead it was the best bread I had ever cooked.
That is what taught me to relax more about my recipe!
Anytime I had children around I encouraged them to help me make bread, so maybe you could think about borrowing a few children to help????

PS Try adding a small handful of rolled oats to the mix to give it a softer texture for keeping qualities.
And don't be afraid to add a little oil, that might make a helpful difference.

Good luck!

Likes (0)

#45 Wed 15 Feb 12 7:21am

TSR

From Serbia
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

Sounds like a lack of gluten. You could try using 2/3 strong flour and 1/3 type 00 flour. A better option would be to work with a sponge - a small bowl filled with enough water and flour to form a thick goo witha tiny bit of yeast stirred in. Leave it at room temp for a few hours (or untill you se bubbles start to form) and then cover loosely and stick it in the fridge overnight. It will build up flavor, but more importantly the yeast will spend the night creating gluten, and the hydrated flour will help the bread keep. The next day, mix it with the other dry ingredients and add enough water to form a dough, and then continue as ussual.

Likes (0)

#46 Wed 15 Feb 12 9:15am

Ashen

Forum champ
Occupation Why is the Rum always gone???!
From out to lunch
Member since Sat 07 Jan 06

You could try a no knead bread recipe..  basically the autolyse step takes the part of kneading to produce the gluten.   

link to a recipe from micheal smith

http://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipes/recip … ishid=9530

link to a page where someone has tried his recipe

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/node/17950/ … hael-smith

Only a fool argues with a skunk, a mule or a cook.  { cowboy saying}
    Likes (0)

#47 Wed 15 Feb 12 10:23am

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

I would not use warm water hmm

Likes (0)

#48 Wed 15 Feb 12 3:04pm

Bellstafflove

Occupation Coordinator
From Iowa
Member since Mon 13 Feb 12

I too would suggest trying a no-knead bread. I don't have the space in my tiny place for a mixer with a dough hook and am not the best and kneading, so my go to bread is no-knead and it always impresses. I use the original NYT recipe, but substitute a cup of beer for a cup of the water. The crust you get on it is absolutely beautiful, I love the crackling sound it makes when it comes out of the oven.

Likes (0)

#49 Wed 09 May 12 1:27am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia

I made bread yesterday after a few weeks of shop bought. Even the best bread I can buy around here is so tasteless and limp compared to homemade, and the last loaf I bought I gave the end to the compost because I couldn't be bothered eating it.

I made a loaf (no knead method) with oats and buckwheat flour added, and it smelt so good while it was cooking and cooling! Lovely lovely lovely. I ate pieces, as soon as it had cooled, (with butter and vegemite) and enjoyed every mouthful!

And I have days more of enjoying this loaf!

Cheers for homemade bread! big_smile

Likes (0)

#50 Wed 09 May 12 7:59am

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

thumbsup  big_smile

Likes (0)