forum: FAQ's

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 10 Jun 10 2:43pm

work_shy

Member since Thu 10 Jun 10

Please help me find a good knife sharpener

Hello all, I have been asked by my very fussy brother to buy him a knife sharpener for his birthday, if I said money was no object it would be a lie.
Can anyone recommend the best knife sharpening tool or one that you really rate highly? there are loads out there and of course they all say they're the best.

If anyone can recommend a couple for me to have a look at I will be indebted to you.

thanks for your help,

A

Last edited by work_shy (Thu 10 Jun 10 4:22pm)

Likes (0)

#2 Thu 10 Jun 10 2:49pm

TSR

From Serbia
Member since Sun 04 Apr 10

Re: Please help me find a good knife sharpener

You don't sharpen a good knife, you hone it. What kind of knives does your brother have? He'd be better of with top-notch knives and a mediocre sharpener, then the other way around.

Likes (0)

#3 Thu 10 Jun 10 3:05pm

work_shy

hello there, I am with you on this one but he seems to insist on using Sabatier as that's what our mum used when we were growing up......even she has moved on from them as have I, they don't seem to hold the blade well at all. I've spent 15 years trying to persuade him to change but I've lost.

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 09 Jul 10 1:53am

Gareth1986

Occupation Mental Health Nurse
From portsmouth, England
Member since Fri 09 Jul 10

I got one for christmas that has got ceramic wheels on it and i'd highly recomend any ceramic sharpening product over any metal, a website, www.hartsofstur.com, has a good selection of all sorts on there, worth a look, i hope this helps.

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 09 Jul 10 10:50am

work_shy

You are a legend, thanks for your help with this. that's what I wanted to hear, it's difficult as we've always worked on "the more expensive, the better it must be" and it's not the case as I found out with a really expensive yet pants one I bought.

Ceramic it is.

Cheers Gareth,

Ad

Likes (0)

#6 Fri 09 Jul 10 12:40pm

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

I have one of those automaic ones, but with a couple more emplacements for a dented knife and i don't know what.

Don't use it much though, i can't be bothered to get it out of the cupboard neutral

Likes (0)

#7 Sat 10 Jul 10 11:26pm

Gareth1986

Occupation Mental Health Nurse
From portsmouth, England
Member since Fri 09 Jul 10

Glad i can help, if you're into cooking and gadgets though, be warned,
the website i mentioned is slightly addictive even just looking at it. lol.

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 14 Jan 11 3:29am

pav89

Member since Fri 14 Jan 11

I got jamie's knife sharpener this xmas. Its the white and green one with two ceramic wheels in the middle. Dead simple to use smile

Likes (0)

#9 Fri 14 Jan 11 5:05am

the8thark

From Ipswich/Brisbane, Australia
Member since Thu 25 Nov 10

Ceramic knife sharpeners have their pluses and minuses.  They can give a better edge then a steel sharpener.  But the steel ones are good too.  But on the downside the ceramic one does not last as long + if you drop it, it'll shatter.

And your very fussy brother would have 2 cooks knives right?  One for every day use and one special fancy one.  I do.  And for the everyday one a simple steel sharpener will do.  But for the fancy one might as well get the best you can afford.  That's my opinion.  And really even with a steel sharpener if you get a good knife, it'll last for ages.  My everyday cooks knife was like $70.  And it has lasted me a little over 3 years.  And that's use at home and in commercial kitchen.  So a good brand of knife is the trick.  Does not have to be expansive.

My expensive cooks knife was like $200.  But most people don't need one of those.  A little general TLC on your general knife and it'll last you for years to come.

Likes (0)

#10 Fri 14 Jan 11 12:35pm

Lawrie Brownlee

Member since Thu 13 Jan 11

Interesting comments on knife sharpening. I am 64 and did not know about ceramic sharpeners. However I used to do holiday relief meat inspection in a slaughterhouse and caused great hilarity amongst the slaughtermen when they checked out the edge on my knife. The academic training for the job did not deign to tell the students how to keep their knife sharp!
Slaughtermen's knives are second only to scalpels. A common misconception among owners of steels is that this will sharpen their knife. The purpose of the steel is to 'keen' the blade of an already sharp knife by throwing the edge from side to side. With practice you can feel the edge " coming up". Slaughtermen take a new steel with serrated edges and rub them off to produce a smooth surface.
To sharpen the knife we used an oilstone, one rough and one smooth. It's messy and you have to be careful. I witnessed horrific accidents with knives.

Lawrie Brownlee

Likes (0)