forum: Campaigns and Community

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Thu 15 Jul 10 2:06am

Smashed Potato

Member since Wed 14 Jul 10

Food Revolution in Australia

Hi Jamie
Thank you for being such an inspiration to me and millions around the world!

Jamie, In the coming weeks Mulberry Tree Cottage will be opening in Canberra, Australia and we need your help.

Mulberry Tree Cottage is a Kids Kitchen Garden Program aimed at children aged 2 – 15 years to excite their sensory journey with food; to teach them the benefits of creating their own gardens; looking after our planet and discovering their ability to prepare outstanding recipes to kick start their real enjoyment for food that doesn’t come in a packet.

The greatest part of Mulberry Tree Cottage is that we are a venue that is dedicated to helping children with illnesses, allergies and disabilities. As Australia has become one of the fastest growing countries of childhood obesity, diabetes and other food related allergies, we feel that it’s time that the children of today are shown how to enjoy food that is ‘Home Grown’ and ‘Home Cooked’.

As a mother of an anaphylactic son, and the Aunt of a Type 1 diabetic, I have an enormous interest in helping children and families get through their food challenging times and to show them just how easy it is to create delicious foods that are not only safe for their children but also tasty and not from a packet.

One of our main contributions will be our Charity Cook Off’s; we have created this amazing concept to give individuals and companies the chance to give a little to those in need.  Here’s how it works; 100% of the proceeds going directly to the charities involved on the evening.  All prizes will be donated by local or interstate businesses; venue and food used on the evenings will be supplied by Mulberry Tree Cottage and any other food suppliers that wish to help.

Other areas we are focusing on are school excursions and school holiday programs to share our excitement of healthy food with the children of Canberra and surrounding regions.  As well as the idea of cooking parties to get kids excited about cooking, eating and sharing food experiences with their friends. This then in turn give a possible outcome of less food dislikes or intolerances and more creative food families.

Jamie I would greatly appreciate your help or suggestions on how to achieve the best result with my new venture and to get the kids of Canberra off to a great start.

Thanks heaps and if you would like to know more of what we have planned could you please reply, I hope to hear from you soon
x Theresa

Likes (0)

#2 Mon 19 Jul 10 4:35pm

Mark@SUD

Member since Mon 19 Jul 10

Re: Food Revolution in Australia

Hi Jamie,

My name is Mark Taylor. I was involved as a trainer for the first intake for Fifteen Melbourne at the Italian restaurant SUD. I thoroughly enjoyed my involvement as I have trained many young Chefs during my 28year career and find the process of transferring knowledge to be very rewarding.

Having been around good food all of my life, my mother being a Chef, my grandmother being a “Mrs Beaton” type cook and my grandfather being a fish monger, I believe that healthy food is regional, seasonal, affordable and sustainable. Cooking with family and friends enhances our shared experiences that we can pass that knowledge on to the community as a whole. With education being the knowledge to make informed choices on how, what and why we fuel our bodies in a nation that needs to increase its dietary awareness.

Today I read about your newly formed partnership/affiliation with Andrew Muir of The Good Foundation in the AGE news paper and I passionately agree with both yours and Mr Muir’s views on promoting good health and nutrition and preventing diet-related diseases. With this in mind, I would like to offer my services, in any way, shape or form to assist you with this project. I am sure that you range of experience that I have gathered globally to good use and would love to hear from you.

Please feel free to contact me if I can be of any assistance....go ahead punk, make my day. :0) You can contact me via SUD, Melbourne CBD, Victoria, Australia.

Kind regards and at your service,

Mark Taylor

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 30 Jul 10 12:26pm

KerryJS

Member since Fri 30 Jul 10

Jamie, it's rumoured you're coming to Australia! Great! One thing...It's time to move the food revolution one stage further! My kids will tell you the difference between a chilli and a capsicum, a squash and pumpkin, my youngest may even be able to tell you basil from thyme by the smell, but...

My oldest has a problem with how much to eat, he has no stop button (except me). He eats well. Good food (takeaway, burgers, pizza with their father but rarely here...gosh that sounds hoity toity doesn't it!) Food revolution needs to start incorporating serving size. There are overweight unhealthy vegetarians, overweight unhealthy people who only cook for themselves, who don't do processed, but eat way too much. God don't I know it...German grandmother, best cook on earth, as wide as she was high (bless her heart) and I've been the size of the good year blimp thanks to the quantity of her cooking, not the quality of food.

It's time to go further, serving sizes too. How to do both? When you love food, you need to learn that it's always there, we're not living in a depression!

When you come to Australia...maybe you can serve on plates that are portioned to show how much should be carbs, vegies and protein. We need more than just good food, we need the whole enchilada, including the low fat sour cream, the walk to get it, and the high fibre beans, we also need it in an appropriate size! Can we do more than 'good' food?

Likes (0)

#4 Fri 30 Jul 10 12:57pm

Meee

Member since Fri 30 Jul 10

Hi,

If JO does come back to Australia, he should visit Tasmania. We have amazing local produce here but terrible culinary standards (except, of course, in the most expensive restaurants). We need someone to somehow bring good food to the people, and make the most of the local produce for the local person. The food-halls in Hobart CBD, for example, are shocking. It's especially terrible and embarassing considering that Hobart is the state's capital. We need an outlet that focuses on making delicious, healthy food of a high (international) standard with Tasmanian produce (e.g. potatoes, apples, cheeses, wasabi, etc, etc).

Thanks  smile

Likes (0)

#5 Fri 30 Jul 10 1:07pm

shammrok

Forum super champ
Occupation Growing things
From Up the garden path...Tasmania
Member since Thu 02 Sep 04

Meee wrote:

Hi,

If JO does come back to Australia, he should visit Tasmania. We have amazing local produce here but terrible culinary standards (except, of course, in the most expensive restaurants). We need someone to somehow bring good food to the people, and make the most of the local produce for the local person. The food-halls in Hobart CBD, for example, are shocking. It's especially terrible and embarassing considering that Hobart is the state's capital. We need an outlet that focuses on making delicious, healthy food of a high (international) standard with Tasmanian produce (e.g. potatoes, apples, cheeses, wasabi, etc, etc).

Thanks  smile

Where in Tassie. are you?

I do agree about the capital cities, but if you take the road less travelled you will find amazing foods in out of the way places!

Likes (0)

#6 Sat 31 Jul 10 6:48am

Jetsallmann

Member since Sat 31 Jul 10

Hi Jamie,

To start off, what you are doing is incredible, the world needs people like you, especially now. I'm 17 and live in rural area near Melbourne and I am completely inspired by your philosophy of food and share it with whoever I can.

My parents have always been good with home cooked food and a vege garden, but my dad wasn't exactly afraid of macdonalds and processed crap, so I started heading on the path of obesity, even though i excercised regularly. But in about yr6/yr7 I dawned upon cooking from my mum (she never liked take-away) and your cooking shows, and gradually I learnt about fresh ingredients and healthy cooking and eating from your own garden! My family is now very healthy, attempting to eat completely from our own beautiful Garden.

I am very passionate about eating local, fresh and organically for health and especially for the environment. The processed food industry is killing people and the environment and it needs to stop, everyone needs to realise this. While I am slowly convincing and inspiring my friends in fresh, good food; it seems that the hold of maccas and 'fantastic plastic' crap is very strong and people are quite determined to fight me about it... Less plastic, less impact, less chemicals, less crap and more respect for self and the environment.

I just don't understand why people (that I respect) still eat unhealthily when it is so bad for the environment and for them. It is as though they do not see the relation between themselves and what they eat, not to mention the negative environmental impact caused by the production process. I am disgusted that Australia (country of the beach, the sun and sport) is up there with America in most obese countries and I am relieved to hear that you possibly may be coming to Aus.

While I have no causes for plight, I would like to show my support for your cause in creating a healthier world and I think you are doing an amazing and inspiring thing for the world. I genuinely believe that changing the way people eat with affect the way they think in a positive way, after all, what good we put in, we get good out of it. Keep going Jamie! For people and the environment!

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 01 Aug 10 4:26am

kellykay369

Member since Sat 31 Jul 10

Hi Jamie,  you truly are the food KING!  I live on the Central Coast, New South Wales, Australia.  As a mother of two little boys with Autism, I wish we could have someone like you showing parents/carers that to address/improve behavioural issues and many other issues including concentration, A.D.H.D., A.D.D., Oppositional Defiant Disorder etc. they should FIRST look at changing their child's diet BEFORE opting to put them on strong mind altering medications (Risperdal and Ritalin to name a few) which often have disastrous side effects and have under certain studies proven to have no long term benefits.  Keep up the FABULOUS work you are doing Jamie clap

Last edited by kellykay369 (Sun 01 Aug 10 4:28am)

Likes (0)

#8 Fri 06 Aug 10 12:08pm

MissEMCoates

Member since Fri 06 Aug 10

My name is Erin Coates and I live near Penrith in the state of NSW, Australia and heard on the news on the radio this morning that my local council is taking action on making fresh fruit and vegetables cheaper to encourage healthy living.
On the report it said Penrith had in a small area a concentration of 30 fast food restaurants.
I have also heard that the reason we were the suburb to have the 'honour' of being the home of Australia's first Krispy Kreme store was because we had the highest statistic of overweight people in the country.
I admire your work Jaime.
I hope that the council’s small initiative can help (though I do have BIG doubts, as your show shows how hard it is to instil change in a community so set in its ways!)
thumbsup
clap
crossed

Likes (0)

#9 Sat 07 Aug 10 5:42am

mamalovestocook

Member since Sat 07 Aug 10

"In the coming weeks Mulberry Tree Cottage will be opening in Canberra, Australia. "

Hi Theresa,
Please tell me more about Mulberry Tree Cottage... do you have a website, where are you and how can we become involved in your programs? We live in Canberra too. Your concept and ideas sound really exciting. I wish you all the best in your venture and hope that it enlightens many people, both the young and older.

Likes (0)

#10 Sat 07 Aug 10 12:38pm

gen1066

Member since Wed 21 Jul 10

Hi Jamie
Im the Mum of 2 young daughters at a local State School in Queensland with 710 students.
Although we have Smart Choices in QLD State Schools, our school Tuckshop is way behind the eight ball. Smart Choices is mandatory, but not policed, and so our paid convenor continues to sell pies, sausage rolls, hot dogs, chips, jellies...Monday-Thursday.
On Fridays I have a small band of parents, and together we cook and prepare   200-300 preordered meals. The children (and teachers) are given one choice of meal, fruit based sweet and drink- take it or leave it. And guess what? When you take away the pies , chips, nuggets, kids don't go hungry- they choose the freshly prepared meal, full of lean mince/chicken breasts/rice/pasta/salad/vegetables/fruit.
One of the main contributors to Friday success is another Mum- our own "English Chef" . Michelle was in England when you did your magic over there, and we are currently watching The Food Revolution" on TV.
We seem to be hitting brick walls- recently we were banned from selling cups of low fat milk (120 were ordered) as 2 children spilt their drink. But noone questions the bright blue slushies and cola flavoured  drinks available Mon_Thurs ..seriously.
Keep up the good work- if you are looking for a school to come to in Australia- Michelle and I would welcome you with open arms.
Kind regards
Genevieve

Likes (0)