forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Fri 23 Jul 10 8:07pm

Ade100

Occupation IT Management
From French Riviera
Member since Mon 14 Jun 10

Basil turning yellow

Anyone any idea why my basil plants are turning yellow? This is the first time I have seen this happen. I live in the south of France so lack of sunshine is not the problem. Could they be getting too much sunshine?

Likes (0)

#2 Fri 23 Jul 10 9:12pm

VictoriaD

Occupation Medical secretary
From V�rmland Sweden
Member since Sun 19 Jul 09

Re: Basil turning yellow

Hi Ade!
I have read that basil plants love sunlight, but as I have stumbled across the same problem that you have, I am beginning to think that they can get TOO much sun. For several times I have tried to keep my basil plants in the garden house, but they have turned yellow each time.
The plants got better and turned green again when I put them in a window sill indoors (in a bright window but without direct sunlight).

Another thought: perhaps you keep them in a pot that is too small? My experience is that basil plants get quite big and need big pots.

Good Luck!  smile

Last edited by VictoriaD (Fri 23 Jul 10 9:19pm)

Likes (0)

#3 Fri 23 Jul 10 11:14pm

DeniseH111

Forum champ
Occupation SAHM of 4
From USA
Member since Sun 28 Mar 10

I've never grown basil but I'm wondering if it might not be something to do with how much water it is getting?  When you overwater a plant repeatedly or there is water sitting down near the roots, the leaves of the plant can turn yellow.  Check your soil.  If you have concerns about too much water at the roots, repot into a larger pot and add some stones to the bottom and some additional soil.

Likes (0)

#4 Sat 24 Jul 10 9:59pm

Ade100

Occupation IT Management
From French Riviera

Thanks Victoria and Denise, good suggestions.

I have just moved the plants so they will get mostly indirect sun. I will also be careful about over watering. Right now they are next to the tomatoes that really do need watering every day so I have been watering the basil too. We'll see if colour improves.

Ade

Likes (0)

#5 Sat 24 Jul 10 10:27pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Yellowing of leaves may indicate overwatering, lack of nitrogen or presence of disease.  To give them a fighting chance, provide good drainage, lots of room for roots to grow, lots of sun, enough water, enough fertilizer and proper pH of soil and good air circulation.  Because soil can carry disease common to basil, it may help to avoid splashing when watering and to start with tested seed and sterile potting mix.

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 25 Jul 10 12:09am

Kye

Forum super champ
Member since Fri 04 Apr 08

Too much water or too much light.

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 25 Jul 10 11:59am

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

I have basil plants anywhere in my orto, some at the corners of beds, some between tomatoes some transplanted from bought pots where there were many together, all behave differently, there is one beautiful near leeks, one very very miser alone, one very bushy in the shade of tomatoes and and and ................. who knows ........... I collect leaves and flowers and seeds and make fresh pesto so that everyone feels useful wink  lol

Likes (0)

#8 Wed 11 Aug 10 6:22pm

Ade100

Occupation IT Management
From French Riviera

Just to conclude this little story, I moved my basil plants away from direct Mediterranean sunlight to a more shaded spot with mostly indirect sun. In less than a week they went from sickly yellow to beautiful deep green. Fresh pesto is back on the menu.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Likes (0)

#9 Wed 11 Aug 10 9:05pm

DeniseH111

Forum champ
Occupation SAHM of 4
From USA
Member since Sun 28 Mar 10

Fantastic!  Happy ending!   thumbsup

Likes (0)

#10 Thu 12 Aug 10 2:58am