#1 Sun 29 Aug 10 9:56pm

Rizelyn

Occupation Student
From Netherlands
Member since Tue 08 Jun 10

Lunchbox tips?

Hello,

Last internship (6 months) I lost a lot of money on buying
pre-prepared foods in the store and gained a lot of weight. During the holidays I managed to get some of that money back (luckily and through hard workships which got me back on my usual and more healthier weight) I also got into the habit of taking some time to prepare my meals.

But now I'm facing another internship of 6 months, my idea is to take a lunchbox to work.
I just need a few tips on the next things:

- How can I prevent the oily fish (tuna,salmon or sardines) from smelling up the office when I open my lunchbox? (Fish oils keeps the stress level low)
- How can I keep my lettuce fresh and crisp?

Some other quick lunchbox tips could help me and others as well of course, so please share them big_smile

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 29 Aug 10 10:02pm

Rizelyn

Occupation Student
From Netherlands
Member since Tue 08 Jun 10

Re: Lunchbox tips?

I do have some tips of my own to get this topic going:

- When making cucumber sandwiches, wrap to sliced cucumber in some foil and place it seperatly in your lunchbox. When it's lunch-time just add the cucumber to your sandwich. This stops the bread from going soggy with cucumber water.

- You can add different things to your lunchbox other then the classic bread. Pasta and rice works great too.

- Prepare your lunchbox the evening before, such as when you're already cooking. No fuss in the morning.

Likes (0)

#3 Mon 30 Aug 10 2:25am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Hi Rizelyn,
To keep the lettuce crisp, have the dressing separate ~ look out for a little light jar that will screw tight, you will use it over and over again ~ and tip it over your salad just before eating.

No idea about the tuna, can you sit by an open window?

Good luck, there is a pleasure in making beautiful lunches and you will find your afternoon work much better after eating well! smile

Likes (0)

#4 Mon 30 Aug 10 12:18pm

AliceTwain

Member since Tue 11 May 10

Eggs are also great lunchbox food. They can be made in a number of ways that work beautifully when cold or just warm. Sautè some vegetables of your choice (zucchini, asparagus, onion, leeks etc.) until tender, set aside, whisk some eggs with a tablespoon of grate Parmigiano Reggiano cheeese (for every two eggs), a dash of milk, a little pinch of salt and pepper, add the cold vegetables, pour in a pan that is large enough that the egg layer is half an inch deep, cover with a lid and cook until solid. When cold, slice or cut in lozenges and eat. It's great also hot, but cold works just as well. if you have any leftover pasta, you cna prepare the same kind of frittata with it. And then there are the savory pies!

Likes (0)

#5 Mon 30 Aug 10 12:25pm

shammrok

Forum super champ
Occupation Growing things
From Up the garden path...Tasmania
Member since Thu 02 Sep 04
    Likes (0)