I'm so happy. That was quick!

Likes (0)

#33 Wed 13 Oct 10 9:14pm

RobinMcaf

Member since Fri 17 Sep 10

Re: Any gardening questions for Robin?

cheffess wrote:

dear robin,
My radishes haven't even grow yet. White foamy thing starts to form above the soil that i've planted the seed in!!! what's happening?! i keep pouring water onto the soil to wash away the 'foam', but it still keeps coming back. Is the soil contaminated, or is it natural for this to happen?!  help    sad

Any luck yet?

Likes (0)

#34 Wed 13 Oct 10 9:25pm

RobinMcaf

aussiechicki wrote:

hi robin, do you have any suggestions for reducing our slater population also we had a lovely butternut pumpkin plant with heaps of flowers but no pumpkins i did try to pollenate them myself with a small bristled brush but still nothing can you help help

Hey Aussiechicki,

As a Brit, I'm no expert in the slater population but I usually use plastic netting over crops that the birds eat. Also an old trick is to use a few feather from the bird you want to keep away and hang this in the centre of your veg patch. Regarding your pumpkins the flowers should develop into fruits without your intervention. Have you had any luck?

All best, Robin

Likes (0)

#35 Wed 13 Oct 10 9:38pm

RobinMcaf

dukegus wrote:

Hi Robin!

I need some help with my Fuggles Hops, if you have any knowledge about hops.

I have one very big pot and three vines come out of the soil and climb a wooden fence "thing". I live in Greece, Patras so the climate has some humidity and it's very warm.

My hops started growing at around april time and became quite big with many beautiful leaves. Suddenly at about July-August the leaves started to become yellow and the tops started to die and the leaves after them. It's not mold or anything I'm almost sure about that.

I used some fertilizer and some Iron(Fe with sulfur something, sorry not good with chemistry). After a week from the fertillizing and addition of iron it started growing again, and not it's growing new "tops" from many places.

Sorry if my english is not that good, you think I can do anything else to help it? Is there anything I can do for the "cold"(average 10C) that is coming in winter?

*I know it's the first year so I won't get any hop flower to use in brewing, but I'm afraid it's gonna die or something.

Cheers,
Kostas

Hi Kostas, I'm so sorry for the late response. Your question somehow got lost. Its quite hard to establish the problem from afar. Do you water the Hops regularly? I know how dry Greece is in the summer from my regular holidays to the islands. Also I would feed regularly during the growing season. I don't think you need worry about the "cold", which sounds very hot by English standards!

Good luck Kostas, Robin

Likes (0)

#36 Thu 14 Oct 10 9:44am

dukegus

Forum champ
Occupation Unemployed,
From Greece
Member since Fri 21 Mar 08

Yeah especially were I live there is no winter, it's like a bit harsher autumn, nothing more smile

I was watering regularly, but the leaves kept going yellow. Now it's better, I read that hops need quite a rich soil so I got some fetilezer, though I occasianly get some yellow leaves(that eventually die of) and some of the tops dry out and die too...

So for the "winter" I just leave it be?

Cheers for the answer Robin!

Likes (0)

#37 Thu 14 Oct 10 10:03am

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

I read in dmf posts that hops have a very deep root (in inches so I do not remember well) could it be your hops need to expand and grow much deeper than they are allowed in a pot dukegus?
I'm also trying to grow them starting from seeds, I got from the flowers I used to make my hop flowers dry yeast, wish me good luck, I put them in a little pot and spread all over my garden aswell, some could even grow, the plants I have seen are always near ditches, they need humidity more than rich soil I think roll

Likes (0)

#38 Thu 14 Oct 10 8:04pm

dukegus

Forum champ
Occupation Unemployed,
From Greece

madamada wrote:

I read in dmf posts that hops have a very deep root (in inches so I do not remember well) could it be your hops need to expand and grow much deeper than they are allowed in a pot dukegus?
I'm also trying to grow them starting from seeds, I got from the flowers I used to make my hop flowers dry yeast, wish me good luck, I put them in a little pot and spread all over my garden aswell, some could even grow, the plants I have seen are always near ditches, they need humidity more than rich soil I think roll

Call me Kostas mada, I don't like much my nickname  lol

Well I thought of that before hand and I got a huuuge pot(not enormous but very big).

From seeds it's very very difficult mada, you should get a root from someone. I got mine from a fellow brewer here in Greece and I think he got it from USA.

Depending on the species, I guess, some parameters like humidity or richness of soil could change, especially if the ones you see are wild hops. They grow natively here in Greece too but couldn't get hold of any...

Maybe you should start brewing beer mada smile  thumbsup

Likes (0)

#39 Mon 18 Oct 10 11:42am

RobinMcaf

How big is your pot Kostas?

Apparently for Hops it will need to be at least 20 ltrs and still need more watering and feeding than if growing in the ground. They are much happier in the ground. Can you plant it out? Or if not, perhaps plant in some new healthy top soil?

Best, Robin

Likes (0)

#40 Tue 19 Oct 10 8:37pm

dukegus

Forum champ
Occupation Unemployed,
From Greece

RobinMcaf wrote:

How big is your pot Kostas?

Apparently for Hops it will need to be at least 20 ltrs and still need more watering and feeding than if growing in the ground. They are much happier in the ground. Can you plant it out? Or if not, perhaps plant in some new healthy top soil?

Best, Robin

Got a very big pot like 25lt though the soil that's in it isn't the best. I went to a field and loaded some into the pot smile

I wish I could plant it out Robin, but I live in an apartment and my plants are on pots on the balcony.
New top soil? Like fill the top with new good quality soil? You think I could do something like that?

Cheers

Likes (0)