forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#151 Wed 23 Mar 11 5:58pm

asublimepizza

Occupation nom nom nom
From Wooloomooloo
Member since Mon 14 Mar 11

Re: What to seed, what to plant, what to reap, any questions for me?

hey there ! 
What kind of humidity levels are suitable for herbs, woody and non-woody ?  Anything to counter 90% humidity as well as 30% humidity levels: what can grow in these conditions ? 

( 90% humidity comes from historical geography that the land came from swamp subsequently reclaimed into urban life.  Nature is always true hence some signs of natures true characteristic still exisits in humidity and varying day and night temperatures and moisture. )

Likes (0)

#152 Thu 24 Mar 11 10:58pm

WheelieFoodChik

Occupation ex-Avon Representative(though not for long, I hope), Online Student
From Rocky Mount, NC, United States
Member since Sat 05 Jun 10

Robin,
My zucchini doesn't seem to be doin' too hot. I'm growing my vegetables Aeroponically(I misidentified the method as hydroponic).oops  Anyway...My Zucchini sprouted in a week but the plant got trapped under the seed pod's label. Ma pulled the label back to let the top out and after I readjusted the label(which keeps the algae off) the leaves died. This zucchini plant's getting some good roots on it but no new leaves. I suppose I might monitor it more closely after giving my other vegetables their nutrient packs tomorrow...Aside from this, I'm not sure what else to do apart from starting over roll

My other plants are doing well. I harvested my lettuce this week...my tomatoes and peppers are coming along, so is the eggplant.  My swiss chard, I love...it's got about four leaves on it now. I tell you, those red stems with those green leaves...real pretty. big_smile

Also, you remember that gardening prediction I made before? That Ma would come to love my garden...it came true, sort of. My progress inside has inspired her to try vegetable gardening outside, again. Ma even wants to use fluorescent lighting to help w/ her seed starting shocked  Did I call it or what? cool

Last edited by WheelieFoodChik (Thu 24 Mar 11 11:02pm)

Likes (0)

#153 Sun 27 Mar 11 11:22am

DebDiMaggio

Forum champ
Occupation Newbie Mamma
From Italy-UK-Spain
Member since Mon 16 Jun 08

Robyn do you know what this plant is called??

http://www.jamieoliver.com:81/bloggers/ … p?id=71764

I want to get one for my terrace. There is one of these in the park opposite my house, it's huge the branches climb up a pine tree at least 10ft and it just climbs all over everything with these gorgeous yellow rose type flowers, but it looks a bit like jasmin.

I want to go to the garden center and ask them to order me one, but I don't know the name.

Also I will be happy to receive tips on the seeds I planted this week.

Sage
Oregano
Basil
Basil seeds from JO magazine
Chilis
Chives
Rocket
Curly Cress
and Sharon Fruit.

Last edited by DebDiMaggio (Sun 27 Mar 11 11:25am)

Likes (0)

#154 Sun 27 Mar 11 11:26am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

It looks like a yellow Banksia Rose Deb!

Likes (0)

#155 Sun 27 Mar 11 11:38am

DebDiMaggio

Forum champ
Occupation Newbie Mamma
From Italy-UK-Spain
Member since Mon 16 Jun 08

thanks Joy, I'm just reading up on how to take cuttings. I don't know if I dare, I feel bad about touching plants in the park but at the same time this is so huge I doubt anyone will notice. I've never done cuttings but I'm reading this plant has a 98% succsess tho I wont be seeing it till next spring.

Likes (0)

#156 Sun 27 Mar 11 11:54am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Good luck! smile  crossed
I'm sure the banksia rose wouldn't miss a cutting or two! cool

Likes (0)

#157 Sun 27 Mar 11 12:23pm

falconcy

Forum champ
Occupation Project Manager
From Limassol, Cyprus
Member since Tue 19 Dec 06

I find that buying already established herb plants is way better than trying to grow them from seeds. The seeds seem to have issues with water and the sun. The established plants on the other hand just grow. We have a couple of different mint types now and a couple of different basil plants. The old mint had died off and is now starting to grow again, that should be ready in a week or two. I added chives yesterday and the taste is really good.

Some of the plants are starting to outgrow their pots already so I guess in a week or so we will be re-potting them into something bigger.

Likes (0)

#158 Wed 30 Mar 11 5:19pm

RobinMcaf

Member since Fri 17 Sep 10

asublimepizza wrote:

hey there ! 
What kind of humidity levels are suitable for herbs, woody and non-woody ?  Anything to counter 90% humidity as well as 30% humidity levels: what can grow in these conditions ? 

( 90% humidity comes from historical geography that the land came from swamp subsequently reclaimed into urban life.  Nature is always true hence some signs of natures true characteristic still exisits in humidity and varying day and night temperatures and moisture. )

Hi there sublime pizza,

There is the so called 'lavender lament' which befalls gardeners in very humid areas so avoid lavender and other mediterranean herbs in tropical conditions but there are other herbs that love it like ginger, lemon grass, basil, tumeric bay, Kaffir lime, and mint. Where are you based?

Robin

Likes (0)

#159 Wed 30 Mar 11 5:23pm

RobinMcaf

WheelieFoodChik wrote:

Robin,
My zucchini doesn't seem to be doin' too hot. I'm growing my vegetables Aeroponically(I misidentified the method as hydroponic).oops  Anyway...My Zucchini sprouted in a week but the plant got trapped under the seed pod's label. Ma pulled the label back to let the top out and after I readjusted the label(which keeps the algae off) the leaves died. This zucchini plant's getting some good roots on it but no new leaves. I suppose I might monitor it more closely after giving my other vegetables their nutrient packs tomorrow...Aside from this, I'm not sure what else to do apart from starting over roll

My other plants are doing well. I harvested my lettuce this week...my tomatoes and peppers are coming along, so is the eggplant.  My swiss chard, I love...it's got about four leaves on it now. I tell you, those red stems with those green leaves...real pretty. big_smile

Also, you remember that gardening prediction I made before? That Ma would come to love my garden...it came true, sort of. My progress inside has inspired her to try vegetable gardening outside, again. Ma even wants to use fluorescent lighting to help w/ her seed starting shocked  Did I call it or what? cool

Hey there,

It sounds like good gardening - some failure, some success and lots of passion! Swiss chard is a beautiful colour I agree and it's good to see you inspiring your Mum!

Robin

Likes (0)

#160 Wed 30 Mar 11 5:31pm

RobinMcaf

DebDiMaggio wrote:

Robyn do you know what this plant is called??

http://www.jamieoliver.com:81/bloggers/ … p?id=71764

I want to get one for my terrace. There is one of these in the park opposite my house, it's huge the branches climb up a pine tree at least 10ft and it just climbs all over everything with these gorgeous yellow rose type flowers, but it looks a bit like jasmin.

I want to go to the garden center and ask them to order me one, but I don't know the name.

Also I will be happy to receive tips on the seeds I planted this week.

Sage
Oregano
Basil
Basil seeds from JO magazine
Chilis
Chives
Rocket
Curly Cress
and Sharon Fruit.

Hi Deb,

It looks like Rosea Banksiae Rosa banksiae 'Lutea' or Lady Banks' Yellow Rose. Others have suggested this already and they're right.

Sage - will take a very long time from seed. Good luck
Oregano and pretty easy. Don't overwater though. Sow in April. Outside in seedbeds is best.
Basil - sow in April. You can leave this one in a tray of water to keep the soil moist.

I'll answer the others when I've got more time!

All best, Robin

Likes (0)