forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#161 Fri 08 Apr 11 7:56pm

RobinMcaf

Member since Fri 17 Sep 10

Re: What to seed, what to plant, what to reap, any questions for me?

Hi Deb, Hope you got my last message above. To continue - Rocket is terribly easy from seed and well worth it, chives would be worth trying from now onwards, I would grow the chillis indoors and the sharon fruit!

All best, Robin

Likes (0)

#162 Fri 08 Apr 11 8:19pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Oh, I guess I was wrong.   deb said it was labeled alba plena and that made me think maybe the photo made it look more yellow than it was.  Sorry Deb!

Likes (0)

#163 Tue 12 Apr 11 4:24am

WheelieFoodChik

Occupation ex-Avon Representative(though not for long, I hope), Online Student
From Rocky Mount, NC, United States
Member since Sat 05 Jun 10

Robin,
I'm writing w/ an update and questions. I now have 6 Aerogardens, here's the colors/ growing order:
White: Lettuce and Arugula...had to restart from overharvest. The Arugula I added has already come up and I planted that Friday  shocked
Silver, Basil(Globe, Lemon, and Italian), Thyme, Oregano, Mint and Dill.
Pink: Tomatoes...restart, Jalepeno Peppers, and Eggplant
Blue: Bell Pepper and Swiss Chard...the onion I tried sprouted but never took root or grew past the label.
Green: Peas, Snap Peas, and Strawberries... I know Aerogrow has said to do strawberries from PLANTS but the gardening sites I tried offered too many plants, so I'm trying from seeds anyway!
Orange: Green Beans, Zucchini, and Eggplant... after 3 weeks, the height on the 1st Eggplant seems to plateau so I planted a new one and watched over the old one.

Ahem...anyway getting to my question. Both my original Eggplant and Swiss Chard have given off seeds after 4 weeks...are they supposed to do that or have I messed something up?

With the eggplant, I now have the feeling I should 've left the seed attached the leaf because that was gonna be the actual eggplant  oops

In the case of the Swiss Chard, I was cleaning some of my Aerogardens and switching growplates around to other units when some little dark brown bumpy thing landed on the grow plate. It wasn't a bug because cause it wasn't moving and didn't go squish when I squeezed and it wasn't a piece of the grow sponge(Aerogarden's fake dirt) either. On closer inspection, this thing had all these little craters to it...just out of curiosity, I grabbed the Swiss Chard seed packet to compare. Lo and Behold, it WAS a seed...a damp swiss chard seed.  To test my theory, I made up another pod and planted the seed next to the 1st plant.

My next question is: One of my peas and my zucchini seed has this white fuzz on them...I planted both nearly a week ago. Is this fuzz "normal" ?

While I'm here I may as well ask... any new ideas for what to grow?  I know I was gonna stop at 6 units but there is room for two more and I'm considering going for these other two.

Likes (0)

#164 Tue 12 Apr 11 2:40pm

snowbunny

Occupation Programmer and ski instructor
From Soldeu, Andorra
Member since Mon 23 Feb 09

I live in Andorra, at 1900m altitude. Currently it's around 25C and has been for a couple of weeks, but we're expecting snow at the end of this week, and we can even get snow in June. I don't have a garden as such, but love growing as much as I can on my terrace in pots.
Our summer is intense; we get consistently high temperatures (mid-thirties plus) and LOTS of sun, with a fair amount of wind, too. In August, we can get dramatic electric storms every night.
Come October, we can get sharp frosts again.
So, it's a very late, short, sharp growing season for us so I was wondering what you could suggest to grow from seed?
I've had success with the miniature carrots (such as Parmex and Chanteray) and radishes of many varieties. Tomatoes don't prosper at all well, even if I keep them in one of those small plastic greenhouses. Last year I grew some Maris Piper potatoes. When I pulled them up in early October, I had lots of small new potatoes!
Any suggestions on very fast-growing crops would be great, thanks!

Likes (0)

#165 Tue 12 Apr 11 2:57pm

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Lovely to see your picture WheelieFoodChik!
That fuzz sounds worrying though!

Snowbunny do you mean to direct sow your seed or start things off in punnets where you can protect them?

Likes (0)

#166 Fri 15 Apr 11 6:32pm

RobinMcaf

snowbunny wrote:

I live in Andorra, at 1900m altitude. Currently it's around 25C and has been for a couple of weeks, but we're expecting snow at the end of this week, and we can even get snow in June. I don't have a garden as such, but love growing as much as I can on my terrace in pots.
Our summer is intense; we get consistently high temperatures (mid-thirties plus) and LOTS of sun, with a fair amount of wind, too. In August, we can get dramatic electric storms every night.
Come October, we can get sharp frosts again.
So, it's a very late, short, sharp growing season for us so I was wondering what you could suggest to grow from seed?
I've had success with the miniature carrots (such as Parmex and Chanteray) and radishes of many varieties. Tomatoes don't prosper at all well, even if I keep them in one of those small plastic greenhouses. Last year I grew some Maris Piper potatoes. When I pulled them up in early October, I had lots of small new potatoes!
Any suggestions on very fast-growing crops would be great, thanks!

Hey Snowbunny,

You should have success with Lettuce, Spinach, Oriental Greens, Rocket, Radish, Zucchini and even Turnip! They are all fast growing crops.

Good luck, Robin

Likes (0)

#167 Fri 15 Apr 11 6:47pm

RobinMcaf

Hi WheelieFoodChik,

Wow - you are unstoppable! What progress.

Ok:

1.) Yes it sounds like your swiss chard and eggplant have bolted - with the swiss chard take the flowers off asap - the leaves may still be usable. It is quite normal for plants to bolt as the seasons change - it happens particuarly in spring with the change of temperature and light. Also drought can cause a plant to bolt.

With the eggplant don't worry and don't remove any flowers or forthcoming fruit!

2.) The white fuzz is mould - it can damage seedlings - and it's usually a result of overwatering or too much heat. Keep the plants well ventilated - and maybe a little less water? If the problem gets much worse - remove and start again.

3.) How about a chilli plant?

All best, Robin

Likes (0)

#168 Fri 15 Apr 11 8:58pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Robin , there is still no sign of life from my Oleander plant, I am in South  Wales I that the weather is now mild enough for me to cut the plant down ( so sad ) is there any likely chance that the Oleander might just grow again from the base , so far there are no signs of this , or, should I now get someone to dig out the plant for me.
( can't manage the task myself !).Or should I give it a little more time.

The fushias have also suffered badly and they now seem to ge growing again from the base so I will get the dead wood cot off soon.

I also lost my all but 1 of my thyme plants and 2 of my rosemary bushes.

It was a hard winter as you know.

Likes (0)

#169 Fri 15 Apr 11 10:22pm

Grandmadamada

Forum champ
Member since Fri 19 Nov 10

I have sown my seeds 2010 of wild fennel, parsley and beet today  crossed i was so proud of my indipendenza wink  big_smile

I must discover who is eating my freshly frown tomatoes and also the rhubarb leaves shocked  hmm  hmm

Last edited by Grand_Ma (Fri 15 Apr 11 10:23pm)

Likes (0)

#170 Sun 17 Apr 11 8:17am

WheelieFoodChik

Occupation ex-Avon Representative(though not for long, I hope), Online Student
From Rocky Mount, NC, United States
Member since Sat 05 Jun 10

JoyYamDaisy wrote:

Lovely to see your picture WheelieFoodChik!
That fuzz sounds worrying though!

Snowbunny do you mean to direct sow your seed or start things off in punnets where you can protect them?

@JYD: Thanks! big_smile

Likes (0)