forum: Gardening / Growing

Subscribe to forums RSS

#21 Thu 07 Oct 10 11:23pm

mummza

Forum super champ
Occupation avoiding housework
From The land of song.
Member since Tue 04 Oct 05

Re: What to seed, what to plant, what to reap, any questions for me?

It works Robin , for many years I managed to protect the delphiniums as they grew by using fircones around the base of the tender young plants as they grew.
The fircones look ok in the garden as well and are a free product as they can be collected .

With beer traps for the slugs , they work well in empty grapefruit halves that have been ' sunk' into the ground . The grapefruit 'shell' can be emptied and used a few times before being composted.
For some reason the slugs are attracted to both the beer and the grapefruit.

Last edited by mummza (Thu 07 Oct 10 11:27pm)

Likes (0)

#22 Fri 08 Oct 10 1:56am

TerryKay

Forum champ
Occupation Beer Reviewer, Freelance Writer and Pole Dancer at Peppermint Hippo.
From London
Member since Sun 06 Dec 09

Beer and grapefruit!  shocked  puke  yikes

Slug Costume For Sale
Size XXXL, A few minor beer stains.
Quick sale as owner gone off of idea.

Brews views, beer reviews, and booze news. Choose YouTube's Beer Goggles Reviews
    Likes (0)

#23 Wed 13 Oct 10 1:47pm

gela4012

Member since Wed 13 Oct 10

Hello!  I have just joined Jamie's site!  I love what Jamie is doing and am trying to do what he is doing here in Fremont, CA.  I am hoping he will come visit once I get it going.. A real inspiration to me for sure smile Do you read this Jamie Oliver??  Please come to Fremont, we have lots of Indian food which I know you love! I am a holistic nutritionist that specializes in nutrient-dense, allergen-free, farm-to-table cooking.. You can find me by googling Angela S Huang sf nutrition examiner..  and I have a facebook group called Real Food is Real Healthy.. currently working on my website..  Thanks for being an inspiration!!! big_smile

Likes (0)

#24 Wed 13 Oct 10 9:10pm

RobinMcaf

Member since Fri 17 Sep 10

Re natural slug pretadors - you can also buy nematodes. I have tried this in a garden and it really works. They are tiny organisms that destroy slugs. You add a little packet to a watering can, water the affected area and then find lots of exploded slugs in the area. The little nematodes enter the slugs and release a bacteria that kills them. They then keep looking for more slugs so it is a good sustainable solution. Just search for slug nematodes on google and you'll find plenty of online companies that sell them.

Likes (0)

#25 Thu 14 Oct 10 12:31pm

TerryKay

Forum champ
Occupation Beer Reviewer, Freelance Writer and Pole Dancer at Peppermint Hippo.
From London
Member since Sun 06 Dec 09

RobinMcaf wrote:

Re natural slug pretadors - you can also buy nematodes. I have tried this in a garden and it really works. They are tiny organisms that destroy slugs. You add a little packet to a watering can, water the affected area and then find lots of exploded slugs in the area. The little nematodes enter the slugs and release a bacteria that kills them. They then keep looking for more slugs so it is a good sustainable solution. Just search for slug nematodes on google and you'll find plenty of online companies that sell them.

WOW! DANGER, UNEXPLODED SLUG!
Thanks Robin!
Little Ridley Scott slug aliens.
It's a bit disconcerting to have found that I have a sadistic streak. Do they affect anything apart from slugs.

Brews views, beer reviews, and booze news. Choose YouTube's Beer Goggles Reviews
    Likes (0)

#26 Thu 14 Oct 10 11:43pm

judithpp

Member since Tue 13 Jul 10

Hey! My question is: what to plant in a tropical climate
I am going to live in Margarita Island (Venezuela)

Thanks!!

Likes (0)

#27 Mon 18 Oct 10 11:24am

RobinMcaf

TerryKay wrote:

WOW! DANGER, UNEXPLODED SLUG!
Thanks Robin!
Little Ridley Scott slug aliens.
It's a bit disconcerting to have found that I have a sadistic streak. Do they affect anything apart from slugs.

Hi TerryKay,

You can buy nematodes for many different kinds of pests. Even the dreaded Vine Weevil. I've personally only used the slug ones though. But I think I'll test the Vine Weevil one this year because they bring out my sadistic streak and I don't like using chemicals.

Likes (0)

#28 Mon 18 Oct 10 11:24am

RobinMcaf

judithpp wrote:

Hey! My question is: what to plant in a tropical climate
I am going to live in Margarita Island (Venezuela)

Thanks!!

How about Avocados? I have always wanted to grow them.

Likes (0)

#29 Mon 18 Oct 10 11:55pm

dukegus

Forum champ
Occupation Unemployed,
From Greece
Member since Fri 21 Mar 08

Could I ask about the pic on the main page(jamie oliver->gardening) where it shows basil and maybe fenugreek?

Any good suggestions on fenugreek? I mean, I read that it need quite a rich soil so I fertilized mine quite good(sorry no compost in Greece, too expensive yet). Any other good tips? Mine get a bit...well...dead where they touch the soil after a while...

Cheers Robin
thumbsup

Likes (0)

#30 Tue 19 Oct 10 8:38am

WishUponAStar

Member since Tue 19 Oct 10

Hi Robin,
I have just recently planted a dwarf lemon tree in a big pot on my balcony. I was really happy with it as its covered in blossoms but the other day when I was out watering it I noticed that a lot of those new buds are swarming in what I think are aphids. I'm at a loss... I don't really want to douse my little tree in chemicals but I don't want to loose my first ever bunch of lemons.
Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated! :-)
Oh and I'm in Australia too just so you know.
Thanks in advance.
smile

Likes (0)