#1 Sun 10 Oct 10 10:10am

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life
From Friuli northern Italy
Member since Mon 14 Jan 08

would you plant or sow

in a space without fences?
A friend of mine where i go to buy eggs has a little field she doesn't want to cultivate anymore, I feel my orto is too little at the change of seasons, when there are still fruits on the plants but it's time to sow or plant the vegs for the season to come.
......... and if I had another orto 2 km far from our house?, but it's near a no traffic street, but it has no fences, who tells me nobody goes to crop for me, or would the neighbors come and tell me what I must and must not do as it always happens,would it turn out to be another job instead of another play roll

Last edited by madamada (Sun 10 Oct 10 10:11am)

Likes (0)

#2 Sun 10 Oct 10 10:37am

cengland

Forum champ
Occupation teacher
From Darwin, Australia
Member since Wed 08 Sep 10

Re: would you plant or sow

I guess I'd give it a try once or twice, and see what happened.  Or would your friend let you fence it?

Likes (0)

#3 Sun 10 Oct 10 10:42am

mr spice

Forum champ
Occupation Working dad...
From Germany
Member since Sat 05 Sep 09

I think 2km is a little too far for convenience, unless you have a lot of time sad
Or plant something that needs no attention like Jerusalem Artichoke lol

Likes (0)

#4 Sun 10 Oct 10 11:14am

JoyYamDaisy

Forum super champ
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sun 12 Apr 09

Or berries?
Things that won't need much attention.
Potatoes?

I hope you find something that will work Mada, it is such a sweet opportunity! smile

Likes (0)

#5 Sun 10 Oct 10 11:20am

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life

roll  roll  roll the place is now covered with grass, I think it's been cut newly,  roll  roll  roll  what would happen if I do not weed it ............ it's all new for me ......... but it's wonderful thing to think about and dream wink

and yes the lady cultivated potatoes there

Last edited by madamada (Sun 10 Oct 10 11:21am)

Likes (0)

#6 Sun 10 Oct 10 11:54am

cengland

Forum champ
Occupation teacher
From Darwin, Australia
Member since Wed 08 Sep 10

I think the grass would grow in, unless you could sink a barrier down to stop it getting through; but how bad it would be depends on the type of grass.

Likes (0)

#7 Sun 10 Oct 10 6:10pm

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life

the more I discuss it here the harder it appears to be kept in order like an orto, I realize I'm not at all ready or minded to have to do with a field, maybe this is an adventure one goes into with the help of the other half, but my husband is interested in all sorts of things related to mechanics and sailing .............. as one can see very very far from a second orto a few km away wink  hmm  shocked

Likes (0)

#8 Sun 10 Oct 10 6:36pm

MsPablo

Forum super champ
Occupation Just being me
Member since Fri 28 Mar 08

Would row cover tunnels work in place of fencing?

Likes (0)

#9 Sun 10 Oct 10 10:33pm

madamada

Forum super champ
Occupation living life

the fact is that I never realized that cultivating in a field is a completely different approach than taking care of a home veg garden. I mean everone can go in a field, it's as if I did not know it before, before thinking I could do it really.  shocked  roll sometimes one dreams of doing something but if it happens to become reality all particulars become suddenly clear, I feel a bit silly oops

yes MsP but it would mean to bring there all what you need to make the tunnels, opening and closing according to the weather conditions ...........I feel tired before starting, I had to start this thread to understand my limits

thank you all for reading and writing thumbsup  big_smile

Last edited by madamada (Sun 10 Oct 10 10:45pm)

Likes (0)

#10 Mon 11 Oct 10 1:07am

minerva

Forum champ
Occupation Walking the Old Ways
From Living in the Wild Woods
Member since Wed 16 Jan 08

madamada wrote:

the fact is that I never realized that cultivating in a field is a completely different approach than taking care of a home veg garden. I mean everone can go in a field, it's as if I did not know it before, before thinking I could do it really.  shocked  roll sometimes one dreams of doing something but if it happens to become reality all particulars become suddenly clear, I feel a bit silly oops

yes MsP but it would mean to bring there all what you need to make the tunnels, opening and closing according to the weather conditions ...........I feel tired before starting, I had to start this thread to understand my limits

thank you all for reading and writing thumbsup  big_smile

I have done it twice in my life..........the last was land (1/2 acre) uncultivatedfor 40 years & turned to grass paddock. It took 4 years to get rid of most of the grass & weeds, but so many seeds lay dormant I was still clearing them annually for another 4-5 after that (fewer & fewer each year), & had the use of a 5hp rotavator to break the compacted soil up.

2km is a long way away.............will you have to tote tools, water, compost to & fro every time or is there a secure shed?
What do you do about security? Is there any chance you could have your crops stolen?

Likes (0)