Subscribe to forums RSS

#1 Wed 13 Oct 10 1:05pm

falconcy

Forum champ
Occupation Project Manager
From Limassol, Cyprus
Member since Tue 19 Dec 06

Kangaroo

I've found a source of Kangaroo meat over here. Any suggestions for how to cook it besides chucking it on the barbie?

I've got an open mind on this one, never eaten it before.

Likes (0)

#2 Wed 13 Oct 10 1:31pm

SherylS

Occupation Totally food obsessed bookkeeper
From Melbourne, Australia
Member since Wed 13 Aug 08

Re: Kangaroo

I don't like to eat it myself (aussie, i know) but I have heard that you need to cook it like rare steak.  You must not over cook roo as it is very lean (little fat).  It needs to be cooked briefly at a high heat.  Good Luck   crossed  crossed

Likes (0)

#3 Wed 13 Oct 10 1:55pm

falconcy

Forum champ
From Limassol, Cyprus

I'm a 2nd generation aussie expat, so I guess it's in my blood. Rare meat works for me. I guess I'll try it on the barbie first and then get inventive. They also have crocodile  mrgreen

Likes (0)

#4 Wed 13 Oct 10 4:46pm

Tara

Forum champ
Occupation Mother, Best Friend, home trained cook.
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sat 22 Dec 07

Make sure you give it a good marinade first Falconcy, i've only had it a couple of times myself but like Sheryl said it's a very lean meat and in my experiance it's best cooked rare.  Marinate as you would any gamey type meat needing tenderisation, I hope that helps a little. Depending on the size of the cut, if a mini roast you could seal and give a short bake in the oven then carve thin like roast beef.  Shamrock would be good for advice here she's quite handy with wallaby.

Likes (0)

#5 Thu 14 Oct 10 1:50am

cengland

Forum champ
Occupation teacher
From Darwin, Australia
Member since Wed 08 Sep 10

I never cook it over high heat, just for a little bit longer on a medium high heat.  I can't eat rare meat without gagging, but a gentler cooking at a slightly lower temperature for that little bit longer makes a lovely tender meat that's a little bit pink but not bloody.

It goes really well with sweet-and-sour flavours - something like a beetroot relish with it is brilliant.

It makes really good stews.  Don't bother browning it first, just put it in and let it cook gently away.  Something in the liquid that's acidic (vinegar, wine or lemon juice helps to tenderize it.  If you can let it cool in the stew before reheating and eating, that helps to tenderize it as well. 

One of my favourite ways to cook it is to start it off like steak (but not on really high heat), then add a tomato sauce like a pasta sauce with some balsamic vinegar, and let it simmer in that until it's cooked.   yummy

Croc is really yummy as well.  Tastes a bit like fishy chicken, but the texture is flaky, like fish.

Last edited by cengland (Thu 14 Oct 10 1:51am)

Likes (0)

#6 Thu 14 Oct 10 2:31am

Tara

Forum champ
Occupation Mother, Best Friend, home trained cook.
From Melbourne Australia
Member since Sat 22 Dec 07

Nice ideas there Cengland, if the price ever gets to reasonable here I would like to try the stewing method.

Likes (0)

#7 Thu 14 Oct 10 2:40am

cengland

Forum champ
Occupation teacher
From Darwin, Australia

Oh dear, yes, it has gotten a bit expensive hasn't it.  I don't mind putting reasonably expensive meat in stews, because I love stews.  But the mince is also good in stews (used as mince or made into little meatballs).  And the bangers are tasty and comparatively cheap too.

Likes (0)

#8 Thu 14 Oct 10 7:59am

falconcy

Forum champ
From Limassol, Cyprus

The shop is currently out of stock so I have to wait till the end of the month when they get new stuff in.

I'm guessing the blackberry balsamic reduction I made to go with venison would work well with it as that has a sweet and sour taste.

Likes (0)

#9 Thu 14 Oct 10 8:43am

cengland

Forum champ
Occupation teacher
From Darwin, Australia

Ooh, yes, that sounds like it would be great.  I think a lot of venison recipes would work well with roo, because they're similarly gamey and lean meats.

Likes (0)

#10 Thu 14 Oct 10 9:31am

falconcy

Forum champ
From Limassol, Cyprus

The same store we get the roo and venison from is a real foodies delight. Much of the stuff in there is sourced from Australia and Scotland, both countries of my ancestors so it's likely in my blood. They also sell a wide range of frozen berries, as do Carrefour so there are plenty of possibilities for sauces and reductions.

Their fish and seafood selection is something else. I've got cod, smoked haddock, sardines, tuna and salmon fishcakes in the freezer from there right now.

Likes (0)